Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 AM

177 posts, read 530,789 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know there are tons of posts on the forums like these, but I'm curious as to what the job market is like in Alaska for someone like me? Alaska is on the short-list of places my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) would like to settle down. Also on our list is Maine, Wyoming, Montana, and South Carolina (I know, SC is TOTALLY different than the other options, but that's where her family lives ).

Here's some background. We're 23 and 24, and we currently live in center city Philadelphia. I'm originally from north NJ, she's from rural South Carolina. She's currently working in the operations part of a major fine dining restaurant group, while I currently work in the emergency management field. We each have about 2 years of experience. I double-majored in criminal justice and sociology, she has a background in art and majored in sculpture.

We both like being outdoors, and much prefer open spaces and natural scenery to the city. We're also both big cold-weather people (which you can probably tell by our states of choice, except for SC) We currently live in the city only because it is convenient to our jobs, and we can get by with only 1 car. I will miss some of the conveniences that come with living in Philly, but we both know to expect to lose these things if we move to any of these places. I also grew up a Philly sports fan (Phillies, Flyers, Eagles), so I will miss having my teams around and on TV every day too.

Politically, we're both conservative (but not really religious), with me being a little more so than she is.

If we moved to Alaska, I would think we'd most likely be near Anchorage.

That's about it. How is the job market there? I know the job market has been hurting all over the country, some places more than others, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Last edited by Drayb3; 12-03-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,364,957 times
For Seasonal Work, Alaska. it's like lottery. All one has to do is fill out on line applications and start getting replies from employers. For Year round work. if it looks bad one year might get few job offers the next year and so forth. so doing on line applications kind of fun.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks Bob.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Anchorage sub-forum

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
Why not move to the Boston area? They have one of the best job markets right now. It's not that far from your current location. Don't move to Alaska without a job lined up. There are plenty of bottom line jobs that don't require a degree here. However, we don't have a good job market for recent college grads. I can't speak from personal experience about your field, but your GF won't find an equal or better position here in the same field. I can almost guarantee that.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,122,361 times
Alaska is in the best financial shape in years according to today's paper. The difference between Philly and Anchorage is significant weather most notably. You should visit for a couple weeks and see about setting up contacts here. There are multiple places where both your skills might come in handy.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,039,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Alaska is in the best financial shape in years according to today's paper. The difference between Philly and Anchorage is significant weather most notably. You should visit for a couple weeks and see about setting up contacts here. There are multiple places where both your skills might come in handy.
This was according to the outgoing head of the Dept of Revenue who has incentives to polish his resume. And while it's true that there is a huge influx of new tax money from the oil companies the statement that 87% of the alaskan tax revenue comes from oil taxes is telling. The pipeline is only 1/3 full and although there are hopes for a slight upturn in the near future the more long term future looks bleak.

Especially considering the recent ruling on Polar Bear critical habitat and the ringed and bearded seal endangered species designations. These will make it very difficult and expensive to drill off-shore and that is likely our best hope for future oil development. Conoco is not drilling any exploratory wells, BP just cancelled theirs and Gulf Oil is still hopiing to do some off-shore exploration but it's iffy.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,031,223 times
Typical of a political hack to believe that just because Government coffers are full, that somehow means that ALASKA itself is in good financial shape. In fact, if the government is running a huge surplus, it only indicates that they have been confiscating excess funds from the private sector for too long - siphoning off capital that could have been put to better uses. The lack of new development up on the slope, in part due to draconian taxes, is glaring evidence of this. Just like a tick that gorges itself fat, then drops off just as the host collapses from anemia!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:37 AM

18 posts, read 25,996 times
I think for seasonal work Alaska is the best place for finance.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the replies! bmw335xi, thanks for the Boston recommendation but I have no desire to move there. It's waaaaay overpriced, plus I already go there 5 or 6 times a year for work, and on top of that I've been there at least 60-70 times throughout my life. It's not really a change from where I am now, except that it's smaller and way more expensive. I would also never move anywhere without a job lined up.

AADAD, we definitely plan on visiting at some point! I would love to make a summer trip and a winter trip up there before we considered moving.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,974,623 times
Dray I'm thinking that your job skills might land you a job faster than your missus. Met could probably give her some insight as to fine restaurants & how the hiring process works regarding them.

Good call on Boston. Although if you drive a lot in the NE the drivers in Alaska aren't any worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: