Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,375 times

Advertisements

Hey Anybody Out there?
I'm new at this stuff.
I don't want to be a downer for anybody, but I need to get a word out there.
Last June my boyfriend drowned on the Keni at Bings Landing. A "guide" found his body seven days later. Maybe you heard on the news? He was a wonderful man and I miss him a ton.
My reason for this letter is.....he wanted me to see Alaska so bad and we had plans to come back up and close up his cabin this month (sept). Should I go and see what he loved so passionately and died for? I'm not so sure it will be good for my mental state but I need closure He really loved AK.
Where do I start???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Well...I live very near Bing's Rapids. It's very pretty right now, (sept). Yeah...you should come see it.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Hello IMA

I am very sorry to hear about your boyfriends' passing...I do recall something about that on the news.
I agree with Rance: you should come. I live in Seward, which is quite a ways from Bing's Landing, maybe 75 miles, but still on the Kenai Peninsula. It is VERY beautiful here. (the entire peninsula...kinda like being in Switzerland)
IMO: I am sure that if your boyfriend wanted you to see Alaska then, that wherever he is now he would still want you to see Alaska.
It is getting close to winter here, so I would not plan on coming this year, but rather next year. That way you will have several months to plan ahead. The best months to visit are June, July, and August. Right now we are entering the "rainy" season...the weather is definitly getting worse.
You can fly in to Anchorage, rent a car, and spend maybe a week seeing south-central Alaska. Places along the way: Anchorage, Girdwood, Cooper Landing, Sterling, Soldotna, Kenai. (It's about a 2-hour drive from Anchorage to Soldotna). If you have the time, visit Seward and Homer. If you have a couple days to spend in Seward: DO take a tour boat to Kenai Fjords National Park....it's GREAT! Rance can tell you about the stuff to do and see in the Soldotna/Kenai area. My $.02

Bud

Old 09-19-2007, 06:54 PM

99 posts, read 310,867 times
IAM,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I think it would be good for you to see Alaska. Take a good friend with you.

May you find peace.

I lost my husband last year, I never thought the pain of losing him would ever begin to ease. Life is getting better.

Time does heal your loss!

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
May your travels bring ease to your sorrow. My condolences on your loss. Visit us and by all means, bring a good friend to lean on. Pain can be unbearable in solitude, and sorrow shared with a loved one is sorrow halved. My hope is that you have the time needed to come to a brighter place, where your memories can bring you joy again.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,375 times
Hey you guys,
Thanks for the positive replys. I know in my heart Steve would want me to see Alaska, and especially the Keni Peninsula. His month long trip with his daughter and his sister was all he talked about for months. I was going to go with them but it was a father/ daughter thing for him. I think just being there would make my heart feel "full". I would very much like to see his properties, since he and I had such great plans for them and us. I don't think I will be able to stay there due to nasty family matters and probate. Let this be a lesson in getting things in order before you die!
I don't have anyone close to take with me when I go up there, but maybe I can meet up with some of you folks. I like to make new friends.
I agree with taking several months to plan the trip. It will give me time to start healing.
Everyday is struggle for me right now. But I am going on. Taking classes, work and my animals keep me going.
Anyway, Thanks again for the thoughts and hope to hear form everyone again soon,
Ima

Old 09-22-2007, 09:21 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Sorry for your loss.

I agree, you should plan a trip for next summer, and take a good friend. I hope you find the peace you're looking for.

Again, sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska