U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:27 PM

20 posts, read 39,569 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, do alaskan's hate sarah palin?? seems like most everyone here has something against her... but I may be wrong.
I mean, I like her, i don't want her to be president or anything, but i think she's a nice person with a very loving normal family. I just wanted to know why and what you thought about her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM

4,059 posts, read 8,849,601 times
I had generally good feelings about her until she was picked to run for VP and then I started reading really unpleasant things about how she acted when she was mayor of Wasilla. Some of it is included in her Wikipedia page. Book banning, eminent domain, petty squabbles, then the whole wardrobe fiasco and the return of the clothes purchased for the campaign. Then she came back to Alaska and was hardly in her governer's office, taking her kids traveling with her on the taxpayer's dime-she had to pay that back. She just doesn't show good judgment at all and constantly tries to put her family in the public eye and then complains about the media attention.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:56 PM

22,030 posts, read 28,487,014 times
I have nothing against the former governor on a personal level. I merely don't care for her politics.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:33 PM

21,363 posts, read 33,449,141 times
Normal? Beaver normal as in Leave it to Beaver or two faced like Eddie Haskell from that show? I'm thinking palin is like Haskell...two faced.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,912,414 times
More than almost anything else Alaskans like and respect real people. Don't know just how much of the negative things that are said and written about her are true, but taken in total they create a picture of a prima donna, one who is much more interested in her image than in showing her true self. IMO her media background and now her media work for Fox further reinforce the view that the Sarah she shows the public is an aritificial creation designed to sell her to the public and the voters.

Unfortunately, most politicians these days can be described similarly. Too many of them are media creations that will say and do almost anything to get elected. But I think to a lot of folks Sarah started out seeming to be different, to be real, and the change in this (starting when she ran for VP) has really turned off a lot of Alaskans.

None of the above is about her politics, rather it's about whether we know anything about and can at all trust the real Sarah.

I think her new 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' show reflects that Sarah and her advisors recognize this slide in her image and are trying with the show to recast her again as a real person. But it's pretty humerous to me to see how they're attempting to recreate a "real Alaskan" image with a show that is totally scripted. This may succeed with lots of lower 48 folks but I bet relatively few Alaskans will change their mind about her because of the show.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,436,782 times
Most of the negatives are from the "Left" press when she was picked for the VP and they trashed her at every turn, til then she had almost a 70% positive rating in office. Most people don't question the National news and took everything for gospel, they don't question much.

Yeah, many of those on this blog site don't like her, but most are of the "Left" leanings, some know her and don't like her, and others think she walks on water, but there is a lot of other blog sites that are just the opposite from here.

Funny how the Presidential campaign seemed to be between her and Obama, he was/is clearly scared of her. The race was between Him and McCain, Palin brought a lot of people out to vote that normally wouldn't have done so, which is why she was trashed so badly.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,450,164 times
It's certainly not just lefties that don't like Palin. My boyfriend is a very conservative lifelong Alaskan and calls her "Governor Barbie." The few times the subject has come up at work nobody has anything good to say about her either, and everyone around there's pretty far to the right as well. In addition to abandoning her responsibilities as Governor, there's a sense that she just isn't trustworthy, and that she's generally kind of fake. That doesn't play too well around here.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,436,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I have nothing against the former governor on a personal level. I merely don't care for her politics.
That is much different than those that just watch the press and don't bother to pay attention to the details. There are a lot that do like her politics. I am about in the middle of the road on her, there is stuff I like and some I don't. But I think she is better than most politicians, which may or may not be saying much either.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 PM

22,030 posts, read 28,487,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That is much different than those that just watch the press and don't bother to pay attention to the details. There are a lot that do like her politics. I am about in the middle of the road on her, there is stuff I like and some I don't. But I think she is better than most politicians, which may or may not be saying much either.
By the same token, Star, those in the -48 who "like" her becaue she's a "real American" or whatever....are getting their information from the press.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 PM

4,059 posts, read 8,849,601 times
Did you hear about the other day when, in rebellion against a healthy plan at a school for kids, she served children cookies without parental permission? I do agree that while some places get carried away with the diet restrictions, some children cannot have cookies due to peanut allergies or diabetes or other issues. Once again, she did not think about the implications of her actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska