Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times

Advertisements

I know 5 or 6 people that were denied entrance into Canada due to their driving record. Going in both directions. Some had traveled a pretty good distance just to get to the borders...and had to turn around and go home. Each and every one of them had to fly into or out of AK. And they check FBI records and can see things that may have happened 40 years ago. Just ask the old man that traveled to MN with me a last year. He spent 2 hours talking with a customs agent over something he was involved with back in the 60's. I almost had to leave him standing in North Dakota...4000 miles from home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
Default I was one who was initially denied access to Canada

Rance, what U are saying is true. But, the person in ? is talking about a permit from a finance Co. I do not see where that should be related to leaving or entering Canada or the U.S.
Incidently, I was initially denied access to Canada this year going up recently. The words 'gold mining' and 6 month nearly got me packing. After that, the custom would not listen to any other explanation w/ the pre-supposed position that I could be lying henceforth. She withheld my passport told me to turn my RV around and she would hand it back to me on my way back to the U.S. even after I told this agent my final destination was Haines.
U.S. custom was much kinder. 'Wait for the shift to change at 4pm and try again but w/short answers'."The proof was in the pudding." I was in Haines for over 3 weeks. I do agree, they can deny access on almost any pretext.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,301 times
Hello Ketchikan AK; I am planning on moving to Ketchikan in Jan 2008. I will be looking for emp. in the tour business ie; tour bus driver(my history) you know people from TX. well we talk alot and are friendly too. O>K> I will be traveling with my 2 dogs and what I will put into my truck. What is the best way to do this?? Drive or fly?? and what are the best ways to find housing and emp? Kinda broad questions but any tip will help me. Thanks to anyone out there for help. Brittsnana

Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,301 times
brittsnana forgot to say I am LEAVING SATEXAS... YES HOT AND HUMID AND RIGHT NOW WE HAVE ALL THE RAIN KETCHIKAN HAS IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS. WE ARE UP 34+ FEET FOR THE AVERAGE.. TRY THAT ONE. I still want to leave here and move to Ketchikna any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 15,046 times
Default They did not even ask for the permit

Hello everybody, thanks for your help, they did not even ask for te permit or anything in Canada, the best thing is we are HOME it is great to be home

Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittsnana View Post
brittsnana forgot to say I am LEAVING SATEXAS... YES HOT AND HUMID AND RIGHT NOW WE HAVE ALL THE RAIN KETCHIKAN HAS IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS. WE ARE UP 34+ FEET FOR THE AVERAGE.. TRY THAT ONE. I still want to leave here and move to Ketchikna any advice is appreciated.
Hello, I am back home close to San Antonio and yes it is very hot a humid but I rather this a million times, I will not leave again

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
You'll have that! Glad you had a safe trip.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM

338 posts, read 1,368,691 times
Question LVing KTN/AK for TX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulena View Post
Hello, I am back home close to San Antonio and yes it is very hot a humid but I rather this a million times, I will not leave again

You will not leave SA again? You didn't like KTN? I'm looking to move up possibly Oct '08 - lived once in SE AK already for a brief time (over the winter). I'm currently Midwest but would be driving up from TX due to a family wedding there this fall (otherwise, I'd leave L48 sooner).

Can you fill me in a bit on your own KTN experience? I know there's a LOT of rain, but I've already been through some of that and am really just currently looking to KTN as a first-stop for the winter (due to limited funds and that I'm traveling also in a truck w/my pup whom I'll be putting on the ferry) until I can make it further north in AK (even if simply further north in SE AK).

Also, when I was in SE AK, KTN was one place I never made it to visit. So I figure the winter will be a good time to go - less tourists with all the rain, I'm hoping.

I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you. (OR anyone else for that matter who's made a similar trip and/or has first-hand experience w/moving into KTN, even if short-term.)

Btw, I'm also thinking about visiting TX some winters once I'm settled in AK - I have a growing family there (niece w/children), and I'd like to see them every now and then.

THANK YOU!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
You know, before you continue cluttering up the board bumping all the dead threads to the top, you might consider checking the date of the last activity of the person you're questioning. Lulena hasn't been here since August; you're unlikely to get a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska