Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times

Advertisements

I know she made it here and was going to school. I don't think she's posted since this last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,580 times
back to one of the responses, in juneau at 16 yrs old you would be considered a run-away unless you can prove (physically) you have relatives here. this is something taken very seriously now.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 AM

273 posts, read 587,466 times
1. Come! By road or by boat, by plane or just by being a stowaway. You got to be here physically, first. The ALCAN (Alaska-Canada) highway is a scene to enjoy. Tons of wild animals. The Ferry at Bellingham, WA or Prince Rupert, B.C. can bring you to Haines. Being a stowaway is not recommended, but an available option .
2. Have a place to stay and get yourself a drivers license.
3. Support yourself by getting a job. Unless your trust fund is healthy.
4. Who cares about your parents, if you are desperate to get away from them. Just let them know you are alive but emancipated in Alaska.
5. Good Luck!!

P.S.

Let us know how you are doing

Um, I'm going to butt in here, sorry. Have you SEEN all the homeless/destitute/or nearly there kids we have up here? I've met way more than a few.
IMO the jobs a kid can get here aren't anywhere near enough to support the cost of an (available???) apartment, food, utilities. And in summer the rents are very, very high. In winter the job market declines sharply. In the smaller towns---probably not Anchorage---jobs go to family and kids of friends' families first. EVERYBODY has heard the, "I've just moved here, don't know anything, can you please hire me?" desperation speech. And unfortunately, we cannot hire all of them.
I would definitely worry about my 18 year old making a blind trip like this.
There are just too many of them trying to raise enough money to get back out and back home.
But, hey, Jeff King did it, and he survived.
If this kid is coming, or anyone else for that matter, she must think about the financial aspects first. BRING CASH.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 PM

She's already here and attending school in Anch. Last I heard she liked it here.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
well there are people who have their children not legally become adults till they are twenty five

Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
I am 18. I have been arguing with my dad constantly. I feel he treats me like a kid. For instance, yesterday I had to come home for 7:30pm. There are kids in 6th grade that are out till ten or later. So I plan on packing my bags and moving out in one to two weeks. Wish me luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 AM

Well if your living under your Dad's roof and eating free of charge...the least you could do is abide by his rules while living rent free in his house.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM

36 posts, read 63,630 times
why be in such a rush? youve lived under their rules just fine for 18 years, another 4-5 to go to college shouldnt be that hard. plus as you get older your parents should recognize that youre an adult and become more lax on rules. for instance, im 22 and i still live with my family while i go to university. i cant say its my favorite thing in the world, but it allows me to save up money. i do part time jobs during the summer with my father and stepfather and it puts more cash in the bank, thus more options. i think college is an optimal time to build up cash in the bank if you live with family. i graduate next year, and i can start job hunting with the comfort of having a good ~6 months expenses in the bank

i just dont think being home at 7:30pm ruins your life and be a reason to move out

Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
I think kids will continue to be treated as such until they no longer behave as kids. Act like an adult and you will be treated as an adult. Get a job, buy your own car, pay your own insurance, buy your own clothes, and heck, how about throwing something in for the mortgauge payment and food bill.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
That's true but...I've seen a lot of parents pull the "live by my rules while you're under my roof" stuff to an unhealthy extreme. By the time someone's 18, they need to have had a chance to develop some decision making and life skills so that when they do move out, they can function as an adult. A 7:30 curfew is very unreasonable unless there is a very good reason for it.

By the time my son was 18, living with him was like living with another responsible adult; it was one of the best times of my life. I knew it wouldn't last much longer, and it didn't but I'll tell you what...when he landed in Napoli at 11:PM Italian time when he was 19 years old, I was glad that I felt confident that he had the ability and the maturity to be turned loose in Europe with no probable unfortunate outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska