Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM

36 posts, read 63,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's true but...I've seen a lot of parents pull the "live by my rules while you're under my roof" stuff to an unhealthy extreme. By the time someone's 18, they need to have had a chance to develop some decision making and life skills so that when they do move out, they can function as an adult. A 7:30 curfew is very unreasonable unless there is a very good reason for it.

By the time my son was 18, living with him was like living with another responsible adult; it was one of the best times of my life. I knew it wouldn't last much longer, and it didn't but I'll tell you what...when he landed in Napoli at 11:PM Italian time when he was 19 years old, I was glad that I felt confident that he had the ability and the maturity to be turned loose in Europe with no probable unfortunate outcome.
well thats true but he gives absolutely no backstory as to why he had to be home so early, he seems to want us to assume that thats his normal curfew. i question it because of the way he worded it. "yesterday, i had to come home for 7:30". a misplaced for aside, it sounds like to me there was a reason he had to be home then. it might be related to the constant arguing with his father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,220 times
Holy crap I agree with Metalaska (mark this down in the history books). My father did not want to even fill out the information for Financial aid for college (not to sign up, just to see my parents financial records)... Or to give my siblings birthdays because I needed them for a background check. He will only cooperate with me, if it helps him in some way. If I don't live my life how he wants me to, then he abandons me... This is not a poor me story, but it has forced me to walk on my own two feet and rely on myself for my needs.

Anyway... There are some of us who are responsible for ourselves at 18, and those of us who are, are also responsible enough to do research and make sure that we can handle the situation ourselves and not get into a bad situation.

I always suggest the first thing to do when you go to a new place, is to look at jobs, and find jobs that will help you get up to Alaska (TSA, Teachers, Airlines), find the cost of living in the location you want to go, and look at the already posted threads in this forum about the location you want to go.

Another thing: If you keep an open mind about where you will move to, there is a place for you up here... you might not be in the nicest town in Alaska, but if you get your "in" you can move around depending on your job type (all the ones I listed will let you move around).

I am sure someone will disagree with me... but thats my suggestion. I am happy that the OP was able to find her way.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie&theBlowfish View Post
well thats true but he gives absolutely no backstory as to why he had to be home so early, he seems to want us to assume that thats his normal curfew. i question it because of the way he worded it. "yesterday, i had to come home for 7:30". a misplaced for aside, it sounds like to me there was a reason he had to be home then. it might be related to the constant arguing with his father.
Yeah, we don't know anyone's whole story; we don't even know whether it's a he or a she. It does seem to me though that unless there is a really good reason for it, it's controlling behavior for it's own sake, which is pretty unhealthy. His parents might not be as good as yours...there are some bad ones out there.

This is what I found when the young Prince of Wales was growing up. Kids live up to expectations, whether good or bad. You give a kid a little trust, let him/her know that you have confidence in them to make good decisions, and more often than not you'll be rewarded with decent behavior on their part.

When I was a kid, the whole mantra was "don't leave the property, when you're an adult you can do what you want". Strangely enough, this crap started when I became a teenager...before that my sister and I ran wild on our horses during every spare moment. So we went from complete freedom to having very little. When I first went out on my own, I had no life skills at all, no clue, and I got myself into a couple of dangerous situations because of that.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,823 times
My parents were pretty strict but with 5 girls I guess they had to be. I had my first "real" job at 14, bought my own car before I had a driver's liscense which I got the day after I turned 16, and left home at 17. It took me an extra year to graduate high school because of that but I was just in a hurry to get out and live life, which I did.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 AM

My parents were pretty strict but with 5 girls I guess they had to be. I had my first "real" job at 14, bought my own car before I had a driver's liscense which I got the day after I turned 16, and left home at 17. It took me an extra year to graduate high school because of that but I was just in a hurry to get out and live life, which I did.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 AM

471 posts, read 1,062,220 times
Man... so you two twins were both able to go make it on your own with strikingly similar stories! Thats great!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
at 18 you not a minor. emancipation is what minors do. there are no bars on the windows, just walk away.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Man... so you two twins were both able to go make it on your own with strikingly similar stories! Thats great!
Heh, I'm 43 now so not a likely twin.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's true but...I've seen a lot of parents pull the "live by my rules while you're under my roof" stuff to an unhealthy extreme. By the time someone's 18, they need to have had a chance to develop some decision making and life skills so that when they do move out, they can function as an adult. A 7:30 curfew is very unreasonable unless there is a very good reason for it.

By the time my son was 18, living with him was like living with another responsible adult; it was one of the best times of my life. I knew it wouldn't last much longer, and it didn't but I'll tell you what...when he landed in Napoli at 11:PM Italian time when he was 19 years old, I was glad that I felt confident that he had the ability and the maturity to be turned loose in Europe with no probable unfortunate outcome.
Oh that is certainly true. I guess I just kind of assumed since poster was whining about it on a message board full of people who did not know him/her, that there was probably a reason for it. I agree with giving kids space to fall on their behinds while they are still at home with a safety net of parents so they can see what it's all about before going on out to live without such a handy saftey net.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 AM

100 posts, read 223,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyscorpian14 View Post
I'm 18 and i want to get residents in Alaska how do i do it .
How many residents do you need and what will you do with them? I am skeered?
Nan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska