Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times

Advertisements

I grew up in North Texas and lived in Tampa, FL for the last five years. About two years ago I started seeing the light at the end of the grad school tunnel, and knew I wanted to get out of the South. I can't deal with the heat anymore, and wanted somewhere with more open space, better topography, and fewer people. And I needed real winter. I was thinking about Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, somewhere like that. But then I came up here for work/vacation the summer before last, and before the first week was out I knew I wanted to get to know this place better than I could on vacations. Over the following year I also got involved with a guy I'd met on that trip, and in April I applied for one of the few jobs related to my field here in Valdez, where he's from. In May he flew down to Florida and we drove up together.

So in essence, I chose Alaska, but Valdez chose me. It's beyond beautiful here, and incredibly diverse. We have mountains coming right out of the sea, rainforest and alpine tundra within hiking distance of each other, and green canyons full of waterfalls that freeze in the winter and turn into giant white statues. And living here allows you more chance to actually see it on sunny days and have time to explore. I feel bad for some of the tourists who are here for two or three days of fog and then have to leave, not really knowing what they missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM

29 posts, read 45,705 times
I'm a west coast girl thru and thru. Born in NoCal, grew up on the coasts of OR and WA, lived in Seattle til my late 20s when I finally got married. Really never considered living anywhere east of the Cascades. My husband is a Carolina boy and in the army. First duty station together was in KY..HATED it! Was the first time in my life I wasn't close to both the ocean and mountains. All those flat states can keep their 'big sky', I like my big sky edged by mountains. Next duty station was NC. I like NC, it's a nice state, people are nice, but it's hot and humid...ick. I was thrilled when he told me our next duty station would be Ft. Rich. I've got an aunt here in Anchorage and some cousins scattered up and down the state that I hadn't seen in years. I was a little worried about the winter darkness, but I should have been more worried about the summer light! I discovered that the Alaska winters suit my nature. I absolutely LOVE the winters here. Unfortunately for me, we'll be moving along again in about 18 months. I'd love to come back, but my husband was recently diagnosed with Raynaud's disease so he's really struggling with the cold.

I would definitely choose Alaska, and I'll say that it's really sunken it's hook in me. I know when we leave I'll miss it terribly and will probably haunt my dreams. My kids love it here and already bemoan the fact that we'll be leaving. Yes, Alaska has definitely chosen me

Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Thanks for all the replies to this post. I been researching it for the last 10 years and it is time to head up.

Last edited by wildchild_to; 12-21-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
I'm originally from Detroit.

After that statement, is there any question about why I moved here??

I'll never leave this state.

Ever.
That is a GREAT reason to leave Detoilet. Smart move

Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM

261 posts, read 505,831 times
Alaska is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Living here is a dream come true for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska