Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times

Advertisements

In a new package of policies criticized even by some hunters, the Alaska Board of Game on Tuesday opened the door to aerial gunning of bears by state wildlife officials. It also debated a measure that would allow more widespread snaring of bears — including grizzlies, which are officially considered threatened across most of the U.S.

The controversial "intensive management" moves are the latest in a series of increasingly aggressive control methods targeting bears and wolves in Alaska. In some parts of the state, wolf pups can be gassed in their dens, bear cubs and sows can be hunted, and wolves shot from helicopters.

Alaska expands aerial shooting of bears - latimes.com

One of these days the animals in Alaska are going to get together for a beer summit and devise a plan to get rid of all the humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

One of these days the animals in Alaska are going to get together for a beer summit and devise a plan to get rid of all the humans.
They are working on this now. I ran across one of these gatherings last fall. But then all the bears boycotted it and went to bed leaving the wolves to fend for themselves.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times
Well about ten years ago they had a bear eating moose and their calves around McGrath. So instead of just shooting the bears, they darted about 350 of them and put them here in my back yard for the most part. Not only did we already have a high bear count, they really ratcheted it up with the new bears. Out moose population dropped like a rock.

McGrath had around 10,000 moose in the area, and by the time the State got around to controlling the predator population, they had about 3,000 moose left. When they don't do their job, the bears eat/kill everything like the wolf do, and then when the food base is gone, the bears start to starve and it goes down hill from there. And the worse part is, they didn't tell anyone until it was all said and done. So now I have bears all over the place and not very many moose.

Yeah, I know all the tree huggers will cry about shooting a cute bear or moose, but until they live in these areas and can see first hand what the predators do to a healthy moose population, I could care less what they think! I live here...

Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM

162 posts, read 362,429 times
I live here.
This whole situation is totally out of control. Mother nature is awfully good at regulating populations on her own, when the government steps in all you get is a mess, just like with everything else.

Kill the bears because they eat the moose, what's going to happen? Too many moose! Then all those moose will get hungry and soon enough the bushes and grasslands are stripped bare.

Instead of killing bears because there's too many, maybe figure out why there's too many bears to begin with? Dollars to dimes it's because of the last time we messed with the population dynamic. But I only studied biology in college, what the heck do I know...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
I live here.
This whole situation is totally out of control. Mother nature is awfully good at regulating populations on her own, when the government steps in all you get is a mess, just like with everything else.

Kill the bears because they eat the moose, what's going to happen? Too many moose! Then all those moose will get hungry and soon enough the bushes and grasslands are stripped bare.

Instead of killing bears because there's too many, maybe figure out why there's too many bears to begin with? Dollars to dimes it's because of the last time we messed with the population dynamic. But I only studied biology in college, what the heck do I know...
Too many moose? With the number of wildfires we have each year, there is more than plenty moose habitat. In reality, allowing moose populations to thrive by reducing the number of wolves and bears is to the benefit, in later years, of the wolves and bears.

Now, what I disagree with is with the idea of some F&G officials to reduce the number of moose on Units 20A and 20B by allowing hunters to kill antler-less moose.

There has been several scientific reports published about some of the muskox herds in Alaska, and how grizzly bears have learned how to break though the herd's defenses, and how these animals can't adapt fast enough to survive. That's when F&G has to intervene, otherwise the herds disappear.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-18-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM

61 posts, read 99,928 times
im not a big hunter, but I would like to hunt a bear while Im in Alaska, use as much of it as possible, meat, claws skin ect as would have been done years ago, I would also like to have one moose the same, not for a trophy or anything but as an experience that I would never be able to replicate.. I have lived in the south and never really hunted deer here becuase there are a million and its cheaper to buy the meat at the store than all the equipment needed to hunt my own.. I do feel in Alaska it would be worth the investment.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykids View Post
im not a big hunter, but I would like to hunt a bear while Im in Alaska, use as much of it as possible, meat, claws skin ect as would have been done years ago, I would also like to have one moose the same, not for a trophy or anything but as an experience that I would never be able to replicate.. I have lived in the south and never really hunted deer here becuase there are a million and its cheaper to buy the meat at the store than all the equipment needed to hunt my own.. I do feel in Alaska it would be worth the investment.
If you want to hunt a bear in Alaska you will have plenty of people giving you advice and all the best hunting spots. You won't find that for moose but almost any hunter will tell you good places to get a bear. It's much easier to find a legal bear than it is to find a legal moose primarily because any bear without a cub is legal to shoot as long as you are hunting in season.

If you want to eat it, I would recommend hunting in the spring or hunting in areas away from large fish runs. I have never eaten a fish-bear but that's what they tell me. I have eaten plenty of bear meat from both Grizzly and Blacks and I can tell you it was good meat. I hope to get a black bear this spring for the meat.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykids View Post
A lot of people from the lower-48 come to Alaska to hunt. But for certain animals, which include grizzly or brown bears, and probably sheep, you won't be able to do it legally unless accompanied by a close family member, or a guide. This in turn would be prohibitively expensive (somewhere from $5,000-$10,000 for grizzly). Moose would not be a problem since you and a couple of friends could try it, but last year a hunting license for an out of state resident cost $500.00. Now for hunting moose and other animals, to increase the success rate it's best to fly out of town to a remote location, or to be assisted by a friend, Alaskan family member, etc. Regardless, think about spending a couple of weeks hunting.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 PM

162 posts, read 362,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Too many moose? With the number of wildfires we have each year, there is more than plenty moose habitat. In reality, allowing moose populations to thrive by reducing the number of wolves and bears is to the benefit, in later years, of the wolves and bears.

Now, what I disagree with is with the idea of some F&G officials to reduce the number of moose on Units 20A and 20B by allowing hunters to kill antler-less moose.

There has been several scientific reports published about some of the muskox herds in Alaska, and how grizzly bears have learned how to break though the herd's defenses, and how these animals can't adapt fast enough to survive. That's when F&G has to intervene, otherwise the herds disappear.
But that's the point of evolution. If the muskox cannot adapt and are hunted to extinction by the bears, then they were not fit enough to survive as a species. Perhaps enough of them will adapt enough to survive and the species will take on that adaptation, or they will go extinct. It's sad, but it's how the world works. When did it become our job to circumvent natural selection just because we think something is tasty?

I agree with you about the antler-less moose. I read an article in the paper about it and it seems like F&G is only doing that because people want more moose to kill and eat. I am 100% in support of subsistence hunting, and a cornerstone of subsistence living is to not take more than the population can support naturally. What they are trying to do is the hunting equivalent of fishing out of a stocked lake.

Last edited by LadyAuke; 01-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: reword, clarify

Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
But that's the point of evolution. If the muskox cannot adapt and are hunted to extinction by the bears, then they were not fit enough to survive as a species. Perhaps enough of them will adapt enough to survive and the species will take on that adaptation, or they will go extinct. It's sad, but it's how the world works. When did it become our job to circumvent natural selection just because we think something is tasty?

I agree with you about the antler-less moose. I read an article in the paper about it and it seems like F&G is only doing that because people want more moose to kill and eat. I am 100% in support of subsistence hunting, and a cornerstone of subsistence living is to not take more than the population can support naturally. What they are trying to do is the hunting equivalent of fishing out of a stocked lake.
Yes, that's the point of evolution in a pristine wilderness where there aren't any humans around. But we have no choice, in some cases, to intervene and help moose and caribou populations to rebound. It would be nice for hunters to be able to kill some of the bears, but the areas where bears and wolves are shot from the air are very remote and difficult to reach unless done by aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska