Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 18,600 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
To give a bit of back story. I'm a work from home training developer. I just spent the last 3 years working from home on a sailboat. I just sold my sailboat and want to move to Alaska and get a small cabin out in the woods. My plan is to set up a small wind generator and a couple of solar panels, for the summer, and work from home while explore the wilds of Alaska.

I'm looking for land that:
1) Is not so far north that it has periods of total darkness, even just a couple hours of light is enough but not all dark for months at a time.
2) Is wooded enough to provide enough fuel for the home.
3) has a small cabin in place, a 1 room plywood shack would do.
4) is less than $15K... that's all I have in my pocket at the moment and I'm not into loans and living in debt.

Please anyone let me know if you know of a property that fits these requirements. I've seen a few online at brokers sites but figure there are a lot of places for sale that probably aren't posted online. My email is jasonpjones1 at yahoo dot com.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,919,273 times
Less than $15K? Funny, very funny!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,644,804 times
let me be the first to say...hahahhahahahaha are you serious?? do some reading here....
the ones your seeing on line....probably are several hours ride out in the wilderness by 4 wheeler or snowmachine....but still not for that price....you want to see it first before buying anything~
ah dang JoeJoe you beat me to it! so I am the second...
in answer to you question atavist.....that is a scam and so far out you will not have internet...will travel by plane or snowmachine/4 wheeler to get to it and very very expensive to get in and out.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM

don't know why that's funny... even just looking at broker sites it's not uncommon to find 20acre lots with a small cabin for around 15K.... I'm not looking for a place in town.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM

I'm good with being off the grid. I talked to Hughesnet and they say they can get me up on the net pretty much anywhere you can see the sky. And I'm 12v savy so wiring up with a wind-generator and solar (for the summer only of course) won't be a problem. and I'm not worried about getting in and out... after single handing on a boat I'm good with solitude, as long as theirs game to hunt and wood to cut I can do all my own dressing and smoking ( I grew up in Appalachia, so I'm pretty backwoodsy... about time to see some REAL mountains)

most of the "great" deals I'm seeing are down on the Kennai Peninsula... I've done some reading on it on the net and it sounds ideal, with a longer growing season and lots of game ... would you guys consider that area one of the "scam" areas??

Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,959,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
don't know why that's funny... even just looking at broker sites it's not uncommon to find 20acre lots with a small cabin for around 15K.... I'm not looking for a place in town.
If you do make your way up here and spend some time, you will come to know why your original question is so humorous. Marty, our resident Realtor recently posted a while back that most people from the lower 48 are somehow under the impression that there are millions of acres available in Alaska for bargain basement prices. The reality is exactly the opposite.

If you are seeing large acre lots available for such a low price, these are "remote" properties. Now, we don't know where you are from, but I can almost guarantee your definition of remote isn't nearly adequate. Think no roads, access only by air or snow machine in winter, and extreme survival conditions.

If you did see an actuall 20 acre parcell available for only $15k, the only way that price is so low is beacuase even the hardiest of Alaskans are passing on it. That should tell you allot right there.

Good luck on your search though.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
The land would be possible. I got 20 acres for $11,000, with road access and no taxes. With a cabin it won't happen, at that price. Get some decent land and build your own cabin, at least then you'll know how well it was built...

Avoid anything on ebay. And most "brokers" online targeting lower 48'ers will cheat you and leave you broke.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,253,679 times
Why don't you start by renting a dry cabin during the summer? Apparently plenty of UAF students live in them, so there are probably available rentals in the summer while some of them are out of school. If you start looking early you might find something in other areas as well. Then you can get your feet on the ground and see if you want to (or can) buy something, and could build your own cabin if you're so inclined.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM

yeah, some of the lots that I consider decent are only say 10 acres for 15k... but look nicely wooded... I do understand that land up there is not free unless it's in the remotest hardest part of the dark north.
I'll probably go the route Tigre suggest and just drive up here as soon as the thaw comes and find a pace to rent while I look for land to buy...

Arctichomesteader: what area of Alaska are you in?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
yeah, some of the lots that I consider decent are only say 10 acres for 15k... but look nicely wooded... I do understand that land up there is not free unless it's in the remotest hardest part of the dark north.
I'll probably go the route Tigre suggest and just drive up here as soon as the thaw comes and find a pace to rent while I look for land to buy...

Arctichomesteader: what area of Alaska are you in?
My land's near Manley Hot Springs. I'm sorta stuck in Vermont for the time being due to family/financial issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska