Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

So, no Anchorage or Fairbanks? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
No worries about downtown Calgary... Not really on my radar to stop at!
What I meant was don't try to avoid going through the central part of the city. We thought we'd be smart and take Highway 8, because in most cities that would be the smarter thing to do, rather than going right through town. But then there was construction and a detour, and the traffic was nuts, and the signs telling you how to get back to the freeway are really small and off to the side of the road, and you'll see them just as you pass them, and if you manage to get turned around you may find that you can't get on the freeway from the other direction. I think we wasted an hour or so driving through every neighborhood in Calgary, just trying to get back on the freeway.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Calgary traffic is worse than Seattle's which is horrible. Bumper to bumper and everyone is going fast! It doesn't look like there's room between the car in front of you and yourself but somehow they merge anyways.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Cell service in the north is sporadic in general (northern BC, northern Alberta, Yukon, AK). Don't rely on it at all outside substantial towns. In Canada, don't try to use it except for emergencies. In AK all (I think?) towns have basic cell service, as do at least a couple highways, but you'll have a hard time getting fancy wireless gadgets to work outside the cities. I think Verizon has contracts with both ACS and AT&T up here (AK not Canada), so you'll be good with basic service.

Not so sure about free or almost free cabins. In AK at least there are public use cabins which are cheap ($25-$45/night) but must be reserved in advance, and usually not reached by car.

Sub-zero temps highly unlikely. Even temps below 20 are fairly unlikely. We get leaf out here in interior AK right around the middle of May, which means even sub-freezing temps are unlikely after then. Even though there will be a little snow along mountain sections, the roads themselves should be clear, with any flurries melting off quickly. Spring is really dry up here, with few real weather systems, just showers (no promises...)

For the basic route, the best plan to balance high Canadian gas prices, overall distance, and good scenery is to visit Glacier National Park in northern Montana and then cut into Canada from there, up the Icefields Parkway through Banff and Jasper (this avoids Calgary and Edmonton), and then north from there. A good option for at least a partial loop is to take the Al-Can up through the northern rockies, Ft. Nelson, and Liard Hot Springs. Then on the way back, take the Cassiar Highway with a mandatory side trip to Hyder and Stewart. If you're ok with gravel roads (well maintained, about 100 miles worth), you can even loop into AK from Dawson City, Yukon, over the Top of the World Highway, and then go back on the Alcan. Once in AK, there's all sorts of loops.

Since you're in a camper, I'd recommend "mainland" Alaska and the Yukon rather than Southeast. Use your mode of travel to your best advantage and eat up some miles! Southeast has few roads, so IMO it's best seen on the ferry, without a vehicle. The ferry ride from Ketchikan to Bellingham, WA is very long, relatively boring, very expensive with a pickup truck, and you can't sleep in your camper.

Anyway, sounds like a blast!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Warptman -Umm. I didn't think Alaska had large towns... Stopping in one to replenish supplies, ok... Other than that -no thanks. I don't plan on shopping in the20% sales tax country of Canada either. (Unless the US dollar buys 1.20 Canadian! - which right now it is at parity)

Heathen -I don't mind gravel or even dirt roads so that sounds like something to plan out. Can you recommend an area to fish at in the interior?

Ohh. Where do the cruise ships sail from? and also since my wife will be flying to meet me I need to figure out where to pick her up. We were thinking of 3 or 5-day cruise (since I can use my timeshare for a cruise -so it won't cost me anymore money)

Starting to think I may need an additional week!

Last edited by Dakster; 01-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Absolutely make your return trip along the Cassiar Highway. Whole different scenery and feel then driving back along the Alcan. They side trip to Hyder is well worth it.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Absolutely make your return trip along the Cassiar Highway. Whole different scenery and feel then driving back along the Alcan. They side trip to Hyder is well worth it.

I could not agree more! AlCan up, Cassiar down!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 PM

One place I like to stop along the Cassiar is a little place called Bonus Lake. Not many people even know it's there.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Default ....The Cassiar...pulling a trailer in 1994.....

As others have said............ Alcan going up and Cassiar coming home!!

That's what my wife and I did at the end of May 1994 (but in reverse).....1st summer of retirement (yea, I retired at 62) and I wanted to show my wife what BC; the Yukon and Alaska were "all-about". (We did 11,304 miles in 91 days)...... I'd been up several times before but never (with my wife) and never for the (3) months that this trip was scheduled to take. Did it again in 1996, but took it coming home in the P.U. w/ a 9 1/2 foot camper......much easier trip!!!

1994 trip was in a 1993 Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton PU, 4X4(thank God), pulling a 33' NuWay Hitchiker 5th Wheel. AND, NONE of the Cassiar was paved......all gravel and lots of mud....and only (2) places for fuel and food ($8.95 for a hamburger--in 1994).........But what an experience (vs the Alcan).

The over-all road condition was "a night-mare", but well worth it (even with 2 flats on the trailer). Took us (5) days for the approx 500 miles. Took about 125 "once-in-a-life-time" photos, caught Trout or Grayling every day and at the end of each day, we had "a thousand places to choose from" as to where we wanted to spend the night.

Where to cross into Canada??: my suggestion (done this about a dozen times).......route your self to Oroville, Washington,(top off fuel here).....then go north on Hwy 97, cross the boarder in 3 1/2 miles and another 3 miles to Osoyoos, B.C. and then pick your routes from here. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM

The Cassiar is all paved though they do do repair work on it each season. When I drove it in October it was in very good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska