Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Ray,

You mean when Bush got INSTALLED to the Presidency by his Papa's buddies in the US Supreme Court?

Seriously, the scale of the vitriol post Obama's election is off the charts. And it is coming from ELECTED Republicans or from those hoping to get elected on the Republican ticket. Nothing of the sort existed during the Bush years. Face it man - it is racism, pure and simple.
Right... nothing such as John Kilbourn's infamous "SNIPERS WANTED" graphic, or John Kerry saying he should have "gone to 1600 Pennsylvania and killed the real bird with one stone," or the New York State treasurer claiming that Chuck Schumer would put a bullet between Bush's eyes if he could get away with it, or a left-wing fantasy flick depicting GWB's assassination -- and not an actor portraying GWB but archival footage of GWB himself being altered to depict his assassination.

Either your memory sucks or -- as I suspect -- it's selectively faulty.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No. What I said is that one side sees itself as correct, and the other side as incorrect. But that's never the truth, since the other side sees itself as the correct side. Think about this for awhile
Abbie has a very wise daddy.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No. What I said is that one side sees itself as correct, and the other side as incorrect. But that's never the truth, since the other side sees itself as correct, too. Think about this
I have :-). Note that logically both sides cannot be right, although both can be wrong. (You should read the stuff written by your compatriot Bertie Russell, one of the greatest liberals ever.)

Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
C'mon folks. we've taken this to it's natural end. now what do you think could be done to prevent it........seriously ! Are you here just to score points and call names?
One question I have is: do we really need assault weapons? If this guy didn't have a semi-automatic large clip human being exterminator, he would not have been able to do near the damage. I'm all for people being able to own shotguns, rifles, etc., but I'm starting to think we need to revisit getting rid of some of these assault weapons. You can throw out the old "a gun never made the choice to kill anyone," but there's a reason it's illegal to buy hand grenades.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
I think that it is a health question. when people are out of bounds with bizarre behavior they should be flagged and not allowed to purchase a weapon. when they are denied they can appeal in front of a judge.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
I think that it is a health question. when people are out of bounds with bizarre behavior they should be flagged and not allowed to purchase a weapon. when they are denied they can appeal in front of a judge.
Even if a judge turns you down you can buy one from a criminal.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,566 times
I have a question that remains from my original question 475 posts ago where I asked about how many such assaults have we had with multiple victims and why we keep having these assaults since the massacre at Virginia Tech? I was near Virginia Tech the morning it happened and one thing I have learned since is most of the illegal guns confiscated in New York came from sales made in Virginia. Since this attack, under such similar circumstances, I don't think any one will deny that, based on the reporting, the gun laws in Arizona are similar to the gun laws in Virginia. After the attack in Texas at Fort Hood there were news stories that the laws in Texas were similar to those in Virginia. That brings me to a question about Alaska. Is it possible we should be asking the question not will it happen here but when will it happen here? From what I've heard Alaska has lax gun laws, possibly similar to Virginia, Texas, and Arizona so what is the likelihood of a mass murder happening here similar to what has happened elsewhere? And what can, or will ,we do to eliminate that possibility?

Last edited by richelles; 01-11-2011 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Run spell check

Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
The chances for an attack in Alaska are just as high and as random as any other place. All it takes is someone with the desire to do it. Even if guns were tightly controlled, there are other ways of hurting people.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
One question I have is: do we really need assault weapons? If this guy didn't have a semi-automatic large clip human being exterminator, he would not have been able to do near the damage. I'm all for people being able to own shotguns, rifles, etc., but I'm starting to think we need to revisit getting rid of some of these assault weapons. You can throw out the old "a gun never made the choice to kill anyone," but there's a reason it's illegal to buy hand grenades.
No, it doesn't need to be revisited. We already visited it ad nauseum.

How about working on a real solution? This young man needed help long before this happened. Why did society fail him? Why didn't someone else stand up and get him the help he needed?

Even though I'm retired from law enforcement I still put myself out there and help people get the help they need. And sometimes that help is just taking the time to talk to people.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
...... Red Queen what would you have done to prevent this from occurring?
What would you have done?

I'll try to answer it from a parental perspective.

I of course like to think that had this been my son, or the child of a close relative, I would have been enough in tune regarding his mental state to see that he got some kind of help before it got to this stage.

Quite a few people have asked me throughout recent years just how I raised my own son to be such a good young man. The only answer I can give them is the one I'll give here...communication. Keep them talking every chance you get, know who they are as people, know their friends and their interests.

I applied the same principle when I worked with homeless/disenfranchised youth and I had some pretty amazing success stories among the kids I worked with.

I can't say whether or not that would have been helpful in the particular case of the shooter. But one thing that all of these young male shooters have had in common over the years is an extremely alienated and messed up family environment, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

That's what I mean when I say that if any answer exists to this, it begins in the home, with us, as individuals, as parents.

There is a common thread which runs through the lives of the young males who have shot up public places, whether it has been schools or political functions, and that is that they come from home enviroments that are high in personal alienation. They are in front of computers, playing video games, listening to music and watching tv.

An entire generation of parents have given over the raising of their children to electronic babysitting devices.

Electronics in themselves aren't the demon here, but these things in excess...combined with no real bonding between family members, no connection with community...well, that's the common denominator that is pertinent to all of these young men who have committed these terrible crimes.

So that's my answer. Families need to get back to having real values. As an aside, one of my students was named Kip Kinkel (edit---he was a student after he was incarcerated for shooting up Thurston High school, not before).

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-11-2011 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska