Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
No, it doesn't need to be revisited. We already visited it ad nauseum.

How about working on a real solution? This young man needed help long before this happened. Why did society fail him? Why didn't someone else stand up and get him the help he needed?

Even though I'm retired from law enforcement I still put myself out there and help people get the help they need. And sometimes that help is just taking the time to talk to people.
No, we haven't revisited it as a country, and it's high time we do. This psycho had a Glock 19 9mm with a 30 round clip and 1 in the chamber, and it enabled him to cut down more than 20 people in an instant. The Virginia Tech killer used a Glock 19 and a Walther P22, and he killed 32 people. Why are bombs and hand grenades illegal? Because they kill large numbers of people instantly. These assault weapons are no different. They were designed to mow down large numbers of human beings in the most efficient manner possible. Only law enforcement and military should be able to carry these sorts of weapons. Why can't I have a sawed-off shotgun? Because it is one nasty unit, and lays waste to human beings in horrific fashion. The same goes for these assault weapons. There is no use for them in society.

Last edited by NomadicBear; 01-11-2011 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,409 times
Ray, I live in Silicon Valley, a place that has no equal in human history for the ingenuity, innovation and ideas that have arisen from it. This small area has changed the face of human civilization. If modern "conservatives" had their way, Silicon Valley - with all its diversity, liberal thought, openness - would not exist. Remember that by Palin's definition it is not the "real America." *

* Which is really funny, because the two things that Palin uses to communicate with her base - Facebook & Twitter - are both Silicon Valley products!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
First of all, he did not use an "assault weapon." The number of rounds capable of being fired does not determine the type of weapon. Assault weapons are fully automatic, his weapon was not.

Secondly, neither assault weapons nor hand grenades are illegal. One just needs to obtain a Class 3 Federal Firearms License (FFL) to obtain either weapon legally.
"Assault weapon" is a non-technical term. It is generally used to describe weapons that assist in military operations, of which semi-auto handguns could be included.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Why are bombs and hand grenades illegal? Because they kill large numbers of people instantly. These assault weapons are no different.
Again, you make two erroneous assumptions: 1) Bombs and hand grenades are not illegal; and 2) The Glock 19 is not an assault weapon.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
"Assault weapon" is a non-technical term. It is generally used to describe weapons that assist in military operations, of which semi-auto handguns could be included.
Incorrect, again. "Assault Weapon" was defined by the FBI in 1934 as a weapon capable of fully automatic fire. You are using the media's definition of "assault weapon" which changes on a daily basis and can mean whatever they want it to mean.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:
Only law enforcement and military should be able to carry these sorts of weapons. There is no use for them in society.
Actually you are wrong. They are what keeps our society free. You've missed the bigger picture.

Bombs are illegal. Why didn't Timothy McVeigh pay attention to this when he decided to use one to kill 168 people in Oklahoma City?

Just because they are illegal doesn't mean people aren't going to use them.

A restriction or ban on any type of firearm just keeps it out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Criminals by their very nature don't pay much attention to society's laws.

Like I said you've missed it......

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Bombs are illegal. Why didn't Timothy McVeigh pay attention to this when he decided to use one to kill 168 people in Oklahoma City?
Explosive devices are not illegal. But they do require a special license.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:
Explosive devices are not illegal. But they do require a special license.
You know what I mean. The components that McVeigh used were not illegal, anyone can buy them. He used ammonia nitrate and fuel oil.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Incorrect, again. "Assault Weapon" was defined by the FBI in 1934 as a weapon capable of fully automatic fire. You are using the media's definition of "assault weapon" which changes on a daily basis and can mean whatever they want it to mean.
You might want to check your facts as you are DEAD WRONG.

"Assault weapon is a non-technical term referring to any of a broad category of firearms with certain features, including some semiautomatic rifles, some pistols, and some shotguns. There are a variety of different statutory definitions of assault weapons in local, state, and federal laws in the United States that define them by a set of characteristics they possess. Using lists of physical features or specific firearms in defining assault weapons in the U.S. was first codified by the language of the now-expired 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban.[1]

Very generally speaking, a semi-automatic firearm is defined by these laws as an assault weapon if it has both a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, sometimes in conjunction with other features such as a folding stock or a flash suppressor. Assault weapons are often similar in appearance to military firearms, but are capable of firing only once each time the trigger is pulled.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) (or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act) was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the sale to civilians of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons." There was no legal definition of "assault weapons" in the U.S. prior to the law's enactment. The ten-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994 and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment. The Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired September 13, 2004, as part of the law's sunset provision."

Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. They are what keeps our society free. You've missed the bigger picture.

Just because they are illegal doesn't mean people aren't going to use them.

A restriction or ban on any type of firearm just keeps it out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Criminals by their very nature don't pay much attention to society's laws.

Like I said you've missed it......
You are delusional. If you think that by allowing public access to firearms which enable a single man to dispose of a large crowd of people on his own we somehow "keep our society free" you are not even worth the time it took me to type this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska