Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,906 times

Advertisements

I started this thread to ask the question why a series of assinations that have occurred in this country had some connections in the political vitriolic that has been the norm throughout the last quarter century. On CNN the discussion related entirely to Sarah Palin's use of the targeted districts and I pointed that out. I then asked the question about why these mass murders since Virginia Tech had all been mental cases who had been able to acquire handguns expecting the debate to go toward gun control which I know is a sensitive topic here in Alaska. Since all the incidents I tried to restrict the topic to involved several things in common i.e. Access to handguns, Known mental conditions, and political motives some of which are some what obscure, I hoped to learn what could be done to keep guns out of the hands of people like this creep and the one at Virginia Tech. Is it possible to have the right to have a gun and to control who has that gun?

By the way the standard for exercising a right is using it in a suitable manner, You can't holler fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire. That sounds reasonable to me. Maybe the target crosses that line when it influences a certain few as opposed to controlling the behavior of everyone in a crowded theater but that is a question worth some thought. Could we debate the topic and not run off into the wild?

Quote:
It is being talked about on CNN that the District in Arizona where Sarah Palin's gunsight was shown as a District that needed to be won for the Tea Party might be something that needs to be toned down. There is a sense that the connection with it and anger could be too close for comfort. Political Vitriol is being linked to this mass shooting by the local Sheriff. It is possible that people with a mental record shouldn't be allowed to have purchased a gun as seems to be the case here. How many similar attacks since Virginia Tech have we had? And why have they occurred?
You need to be healthy enough to drive to get your driver's license. Would the need for a health check be approvable for both driving a car and having access to a gun? What limits are acceptable? I had to pass many exams showing proficiency in a subject in my life to be able to do something. What should be required to drive a car and access a gun?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Denial of reality is sublime and in your case Ms. M seems to be well baked. If you think me wrong, so be it. I can live with that.

Maybe have another bourbon. It's Sunday after all, right?
I don't drink bourbon, even on Sundays.

Again, are you aware that a white power group is under federal investigation at this time because there is evidence that their influence may possibly have been a factor in the shooting?

Now kindly tell me how that fact represents "denial" of anything.

No, you just want to deny that there could be anything more at play here because your hatred of the former governor wants to see her be the "fall girl" for this.

I realize it's futile asking this question and getting an even marginally coherent response, but what about the influence of the music the guy listened to on his actions? It was pretty vile stuff, much worse than Sarah's List, and there is actually evidence that...he listened to it.

There is no evidence that he even knew Sarah's list existed.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM

191 posts, read 360,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Give me a break........
Pat: usual disclaimer I'm Conservative.

Thank goodness there are enough sane Republicans/Conservatives who have seen through the populist insanity of the Palin/Joe Miller types. I actually respect Palin as a businesswoman. She is living the American dream. The thought of her as a decision maker in international policy however, is too scary to contemplate. As a politician, she is playing to the Pat Buchanan crowd, and if you don't wish to use the word "Fascist" to describe that ilk, "authoritarian" certainly fits. Her and Todd were "Buchanan Brigade" members, and Todd was a member of AIP. Does that tell you anything?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:28 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Lets see, here is your original quote:

You are MOST DEFINITELY AGREEING WITH IT. You are claiming that you "believe it to be just" that this will somehow be Justice served. Whether you take it as an insult or not is your opinion. I am merely making reference to a historical fact where people went off drawing all sorts of harmfull, speculative conclusions with no basis in FACT - all in the name of "JUSTICE" (your words not mine).
Are you relieved of your passion now? If I were alone in this I might agree with you. However, currently there are investigations into this and I am confidant that Ms. Palin and her ilk will be excoriated. And you are right I do agree with it. My bad.

Now back to the subject at hand. Try reading or listening to ANY paper today. Ms. P is top billing and I believe (yes) justly so. Free speech? give us all a break...

Quote:
Another bully who does not see (in spite of all the violence) what triggers it. Numerous studies have shown that the bullying in schools and the type of bullying by political people leads to violence. Schools nationwide have adopted those studies and work actively to halt bullying. Putting a target on someones photo is just that type of bullying. You might want to wake up before you start insulting people. You look the fool....

Like I told M I cannot help you folks with your denial. You may want to do some research on bullying and violence. Ask anyone........well anyone who is awake
Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are a "bully". You're the one throwing the most personal slams in this thread, by the way. Now what does that make you?

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
For whatever (unknown) reason this kid did what he did, I think it was personal. You don't shoot someone point blank in the head simply because of some outside influences. That may have played a small role, but he wanted this woman dead. The question remains as to why. Was it one thing or an accumulation of things?

When I was 22, I really didn't give two-chits about politics. How or why this kid allowed himself to get so worked up over what some politician may or may not have done, is something I truly don't get.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
For whatever (unknown) reason this kid did what he did, I think it was personal. You don't shoot someone point blank in the head simply because of some outside influences. That may have played a small role, but he wanted this woman dead. The question remains as to why. Was it one thing or an accumulation of things?

When I was 22, I really didn't give two-chits about politics. How or why this kid allowed himself to get so worked up over what some politician may or may not have done, is something I truly don't get.
The only real link is that he appears to have had some ties with a white power group, and the lady is Jewish.

As I have stated before in this thread, Palin has a somewhat pro Isreal stance.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are a "bully". You're the one throwing the most personal slams in this thread, by the way. Now what does that make you?

It makes me just like you.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Another bully who does not see (in spite of all the violence) what triggers it. Numerous studies have shown that the bullying in schools and the type of bullying by political people leads to violence. Schools nationwide have adopted those studies and work actively to halt bullying. Putting a target on someones photo is just that type of bullying. You might want to wake up before you start insulting people. You look the fool....

Like I told M I cannot help you folks with your denial. You may want to do some research on bullying and violence. Ask anyone........well anyone who is awake
I am far from a bully. Your kind loves to label and call names when one doesn't agree with you. WHERE is your proof Palin had anything to do with this. All your talk on bullying....you need to realize a hate so strong such as you have for Palin often leads to violence, so don't preach to me cause then you look the fool...............

Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I started this thread to ask the question why a series of assinations that have occurred in this country had some connections in the political vitriolic that has been the norm throughout the last quarter century.
I think its something in the human condition that always laments that "their times" are somehow more violent or worse off than the past. Maybe its the natural tendency to view history through the filter of nostalgia. Truth is, this has always been a violent, vitriolic country since the founding. And all of human history has been a violent, bloody, barbaric affair from the beginning of time to boot. Nothing has changed. If anything, things may actually be calmer now - we just tend to sensationalize stuff now at the speed of light with the help of current telecommunications technologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska