Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times

Advertisements

It seems like most of the time when someone thinks someone else needs help, they just get blown off and not taken seriously.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Ultimately America's saving grace is that it is a self-correcting nation, always aspiring to a "more perfect union." Every liberal idea has prevailed in the last century - women's suffrage, civil rights, immigration reform, etc etc etc. And liberal ideas will continue to prevail. Note that I said liberal ideas, not Democratic or Republican. For a liberal mindset in the broadest sense is really the mindset of the intellectually free (and bold).
But you fail to understand that the same issues are seen as "conservative" by the other side. For example, The Civil rights Act of 1964 passed only because the majority whip, a Democrat, brought the Republicans to his side when around 16 Democrats refused to go along with the Bill.

In relation to immigration, and keep in mind that I am a former immigrant myself, conservatives do not oppose "immigration," but "illegal" immigration and open borders.

There is not such thing as a "self-correcting" nation. A nation must have borders, a language, a culture (much as told by Michael Savage). A nation must have guidance to exist, and in our case, The Constitution. Without these things a nation can't be a whole. Without these things a nation dissolves into something other than a nation. Just look at the Rome of long ago, Greece, Spain, England...

The only thing that can keep us whole as a nation is the conservative idea of a Constitution. Adhere to it and continue to exist as a whole; lose you path, and you turn into nothing but chaos.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
I think that stiff may be correct in a way. how can without depriving people of essential liberties can a society stop the lone lunatic? I also do not see a legitimate purpose for assault weapons in the hands of the citizenry NOR criminals. Finally, I tend to side on the right of the individual to own carry and conceal a weapon for defense of self and family. I like the Teddy Roosevelt stance that he planned to kill any assassin first.

We must keep mentally ill people away from guns.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
I have :-). Note that logically both sides cannot be right, although both can be wrong. (You should read the stuff written by your compatriot Bertie Russell, one of the greatest liberals ever.)
Emotionally only oneself can be right. One never sees the other side as being right, specially when emotions are part of the equation. For example would you ever admit that the conservatives are right and you are wrong? You really should think about this a little longer, "Grasshopper."

By the way, I am probably as right and wrong as you are

Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
How if any way would you have prevented him from obtaining the gun? I am sincerely interested in what legal means you find or could educate me to prevent these type of incidents from occurring prior to the actual event.
I would not have prevented him from obtaining a firearm, assuming I could, provided he abides by the law. You cannot always stop lunatics from doing something completely insane. If we could, the Democrat Party would have ceased to exist centuries ago.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Emotionally only oneself can be right. One never sees the other side as being right, specially when emotions are part of the equation. For example would you ever admit that the conservatives are right and you are wrong? You really should think about this a little longer, "Grasshopper."

By the way, I am probably right and wrong as you are
Not when the "conservative" name calls and uses insults rather than logic. (keep in mind I am not saying you do this)

Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,270,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But you fail to understand that the same issues are seen as "conservative" by the other side. For example, The Civil rights Act of 1964 passed only because the majority whip, a Democrat, brought the Republicans to his side when around 16 Democrats refused to go along with the Bill.

In relation to immigration, and keep in mind that I am a former immigrant myself, conservatives do not oppose "immigration," but "illegal" immigration and open borders.

There is not such thing as a "self-correcting" nation. A nation must have borders, a language, a culture (much as told by Michael Savage). A nation must have guidance to exist, and in our case, The Constitution. Without these things a nation can't be a whole. Without these things a nation dissolves into something other than a nation. Just look at the Rome of long ago, Greece, Spain, England...

The only thing that can keep us whole as a nation is the conservative idea of a Constitution. Adhere to it and continue to exist as a whole; lose you path, and you turn into nothing but chaos.

Of course there is such a thing as a self-correcting nation - America is living proof of it. Self-correcting has NOTHING to do with Michael Savage's borders etc. It is absolutely imperative for a nation to have secure borders etc.

Self-correcting means it has in place the political, cultural, and social institutions that can both reflect on the current state of affairs, figure out what changes need to be made for the betterment of the country, and the power to effect those changes.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,270,159 times
Glitch,

This is an adult conversation. Time for you to take your ball and go home, change into your nappies and drink your milk.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not have prevented him from obtaining a firearm, assuming I could, provided he abides by the law. You cannot always stop lunatics from doing something completely insane. If we could, the Democrat Party would have ceased to exist centuries ago.
That makes sense. For example, even if we take all the guns away from every person in the US, including the military, police, etc., people would still use other means to kill and maim. They would use knives, automobiles, poisons, explosives, baseball bats, sticks pipes, and even their own hands

Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
One question I have is: do we really need assault weapons? If this guy didn't have a semi-automatic large clip human being exterminator, he would not have been able to do near the damage. I'm all for people being able to own shotguns, rifles, etc., but I'm starting to think we need to revisit getting rid of some of these assault weapons. You can throw out the old "a gun never made the choice to kill anyone," but there's a reason it's illegal to buy hand grenades.
First of all, he did not use an "assault weapon." The number of rounds capable of being fired does not determine the type of weapon. Assault weapons are fully automatic, his weapon was not.

Secondly, neither assault weapons nor hand grenades are illegal. One just needs to obtain a Class 3 Federal Firearms License (FFL) to obtain either weapon legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska