Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I walked out today in sweats and a tshirt and thought it was Spring in Virginia Beach.

I had a grizzled old whaling captain in today who lamented loudly, in old grizzled captain fashion, that it was "too gotdamn warm out today!" Mind you, this is the same captain who said the same thing last week when it was -4 out. He said the blizzard we had here week before last with temps -56 below (with the wind chill) was "just gotdamn right!"
Got to love it... Here in Wisconsin it has been very cold in single diggits but i still hike and love it too... I guess it is all the "eyes of the beholder"... Have a great Monday everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Default and even if it was true

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
global warming
I don't believe in "global warming" but even if it was true, it would be good news, since the end of pertmafrost in the Far North would allow for settlement, resource explotation, agriculture .
What did you say ? I'm against nature and ecology?
quite the opposite, I'm for an overall decrease of human numbers.
But as demographics are going out of hand (we will be 7 bn in 2011),
it's better to cope with it than lamenting in jet-fueled summits in Cancun or Copenhagen that "the Maldives and the Tuvalu islands -less than 400.000 inhabitants put together- are going to disappear"

Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 52,580 times
It's currently 29 in Fort Worth Texas, and was colder yesterday with about an inch of snow! It's normal to see that here occasionally, but crazy how it can actually be colder all the way down here than it is at the top of Alaska!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
It's currently 29 in Fort Worth Texas, and was colder yesterday with about an inch of snow! It's normal to see that here occasionally, but crazy how it can actually be colder all the way down here than it is at the top of Alaska!

Proof there is no "global warming" : if it was the case, the current -relative-warmth episode in Alaska would include the whole northern hemisphere, however the winter in
Europe this year is particularly harsh.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Proof there is no "global warming" : if it was the case, the current -relative-warmth episode in Alaska would include the whole northern hemisphere, however the winter in
Europe this year is particularly harsh.
This is why we can't have nice things; someone always drags politics into it. Can we make this a politics-free thread?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
This is why we can't have nice things; someone always drags politics into it. Can we make this a politics-free thread?
Politics? I didn't see any politics in that at all. Just a bit of utter stupidity.

The person who wrote it has no idea what the word "climate" means, and has simply mistaken a bit of weather for climate. Which is to say the person is ignorant, and that caused the stupidity.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
[...] if it was the case, the current -relative-warmth episode in Alaska would include the whole northern hemisphere,
That statement is not valid.

Change in climate can affect the relationship of weather experienced at different locations both in the same or opposite directions. The fact that it is warmer in one area almost certainly means it will be colder in some other area in terms of weather. Climate is concerned with how much that difference is on an average as well as how much the average numbers for any one location change.

One of the characteristics that will be seen if global warming continues is a warmer Arctic (Alaska), but another characteristic will be harsher (including colder) weather in the temperate zones of the Lower-48. For example it has long been understood that the El Nino/Nina jet stream dumping warm air into Alaska causes warm weather in Alaska that results in winter storms in the Lower-48. With global warming that will be accentuated, and Alaska will see it happen more often or with warmer weather when it does. The effect in either case will be harsher winter storms experienced in the Lower-48.

Quote:
however the winter in Europe this year is particularly harsh.
You would have to demonstrate the connection between weather in Alaska and weather in Europe to prove any cause and effect. In fact there is such a relationship, but it is clearly far too distant to make the above claim significant.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post
Granted i was not one to say that 30 degrees is warm but after being here since July, i feel like i was just forced to move to California today.

Odd how the rest of the lower 48 is getting cold and we are warming up.

Is this normal for Early January ? I was under the impression it would be hitting
-40ish soon.

Anywho, guess i am gonna need to break out the shorts and sunblock here.
Man! I need to get a winter home in Barrow so I can escape this harsh winter weather we're having in Southern Minnesota It hasn't been above 30F here since New Years Eve. Any good, ocean front homes up there for sale?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson
One of the characteristics that will be seen if global warming continues is a warmer Arctic (Alaska), but another characteristic will be harsher (including colder) weather in the temperate zones of the Lower-48. For example it has long been understood that the El Nino/Nina jet stream dumping warm air into Alaska causes warm weather in Alaska that results in winter storms in the Lower-48. With global warming that will be accentuated, and Alaska will see it happen more often or with warmer weather when it does. The effect in either case will be harsher winter storms experienced in the Lower-48.
This is interesting news, and in one way it is exciting for someone like me who lives in a warm area but loves cold, snowy winters. You see, the main reason I don't want to get up right this second and move to Alaska is that my family lives in Alabama, and I couldn't stand to leave my aging parents that far away. If I move to a northern location in the lower 48, though, I would be a much shorter and cheaper plane ride away from them, resulting in more visits. BUT, if the South is going to start having snow in the winters on a regular basis, then I would have much less of a problem staying right here in Appalachia.

What kind of time frame are we looking at for something like that to happen though? Seems to me that it could take centuries to have a real, noticeable effect on our climate down here.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There is a high pressure parked over the mainland of Alaska forcing the low pressures to pass along the west coast all the way up to Barrow with warm air from the Pacific. We had a high of 37 yesterday here in Bethel and it's supposed to get back into the 30's again today.
LOL, ya gotta find humor in this, I'm in pretty much central North Carolina and our high today was 29, yesterday was about the same, and yall are tellin' me I could come to Alaska to warm up ? This is January, winter! Is it just me, or, is something wrong with this picture?? Hummmmmm, I suspect this speaks volumns about the predictability of Mother Nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska