Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM

854 posts, read 1,964,746 times

Advertisements

i'm guessing she was in nome.
nome is not on the arctic ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,642,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I intend to take my little aluminum boat up to the Arctic this summer. Using a halibut rod with a bucket tied on the end of the line, I should have several hundred pounds of gold at the end of each day. A friend will stand by on the beach with a wheelbarrow, so I can empty each bucket of it's gold. And all I have to do is slowly troll back and forth along the beach, watching that bucket fill with pure GOLD! I'm gonna be RICH RICH RICH! Thanks Sarah!

Bud
whao...whoa...the fish ...Halibut, whales, tuna... and such just "shat" out gold didn't you know>??? the ocean is full of gold..just like Goldschlager liquor...gold flecks in all the ocean water!! just catch them an squeeze the gold out! hahahahhahahahahahha

Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,519,534 times
My oldest som is a Dr. He went to Nunavut and worked there for a year. I think he spent most of his pay on Native art. Man, what a collection he has. The thing that bothers me is the prices the producers of this fantastic art get are about one tenth of what you would pay in any art store in Canada. My son has big ivory carvings that would easily sell for $3000 and he paid $300 for them. Why the native people can not form some sort of coop and sell their art in the south is beyond me.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,602,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i'm guessing she was in nome.
nome is not on the arctic ocean.
Correct. She was out at the Cripple River Mining Camp. It's about 12 miles out the west beach road.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,740,834 times
The store owners in Anchorage - steal from the native artists and only give them a small fraction of the price they deserve.

I have witnessed more than a dozen times by famous Native Artists of Point Hope - Allan Lane - A legend in the Arctic & Bill Iapanna of Kotzebue.

Allan would make a gorgeous fossilized bracelet and only receive 80 bux for it. That store owner would sell that bracelet - $325 !!

We learned; before we ever began carving; do not try and sell to store owners in Anchorage.

Natives in many villages always ask me; who taught your boys ? Allan Lane ? I said yes !! He taught them what not to do; He taught them what not to 'drink' and what not to say and now not to behave.

I know nothing about carving - but I do know what I am looking at and how to make it look 'better'. I was the ONE who taught my sons how to carve and make bracelets. I never picked up one tool; I do not touch Ivory; I merely explained (in detail ) all of the steps Allan would do when he made bracelets in our shop on 4th Ave.

My sons are the ONLY carvers that can make a 'reversable' bracelet with insets on both sides made out of different constrasting material(s).

We sell these all day long - easily for $600 bux each.

Since we have been in Anchorage (last May - ) we have not really even tried to sell bracelets here; There is no market like the villages.

Native women - collect bracelets & ear-rings. One woman in Point Hope has purchased over 80 bracelets from us. One woman in Barrow - ordered 25 bracelets in one order last Christmas, she spent over 7k !!

Huge money is EASILY made - staying at home and working; then sit at AC store or the Bank in Barrow; In kotzebue just go sit at the hospital arts & crafts tables. People handed us money every day for seven years.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
The store owners in Anchorage - steal from the native artists and only give them a small fraction of the price they deserve.

I have witnessed more than a dozen times by famous Native Artists of Point Hope - Allan Lane - A legend in the Arctic & Bill Iapanna of Kotzebue.

Allan would make a gorgeous fossilized bracelet and only receive 80 bux for it. That store owner would sell that bracelet - $325 !!

We learned; before we ever began carving; do not try and sell to store owners in Anchorage.

Natives in many villages always ask me; who taught your boys ? Allan Lane ? I said yes !! He taught them what not to do; He taught them what not to 'drink' and what not to say and now not to behave.

I know nothing about carving - but I do know what I am looking at and how to make it look 'better'. I was the ONE who taught my sons how to carve and make bracelets. I never picked up one tool; I do not touch Ivory; I merely explained (in detail ) all of the steps Allan would do when he made bracelets in our shop on 4th Ave.

My sons are the ONLY carvers that can make a 'reversable' bracelet with insets on both sides made out of different constrasting material(s).

We sell these all day long - easily for $600 bux each.

Since we have been in Anchorage (last May - ) we have not really even tried to sell bracelets here; There is no market like the villages.

Native women - collect bracelets & ear-rings. One woman in Point Hope has purchased over 80 bracelets from us. One woman in Barrow - ordered 25 bracelets in one order last Christmas, she spent over 7k !!

Huge money is EASILY made - staying at home and working; then sit at AC store or the Bank in Barrow; In kotzebue just go sit at the hospital arts & crafts tables. People handed us money every day for seven years.
That is beautiful work.
GL2

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,642,658 times
hummmm I like that bracelet! didn't care for the heart one so much...but this one is beautiful!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,340,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I have played with a gold pan in Alaska over the years. Almost always find a few specks of gold and so far I just wash it back into the creek...It's a renewable resource your know.

Seriously I do play with it but am not a pro at all. Once I was on the beach at Ninilchik and had my pan so I tried a little creek about 1 foot wide that ran off the bluff and through the sand. It was some of the best panning I ever did. Maybe 7-10 specks per pan. Still not enough to keep but kind of surprising.
I can relate. I spent 8 hours using a sluice box and panning near Hope, about half a mile from Turnagain Arm, one week-end years ago. After moving about 200 cubic feet of earth, I walked away with 3 gold flakes that were worth maybe $0.15 at the time.

It is a lot of work, for little reward.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,740,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hummmm I like that bracelet! didn't care for the heart one so much...but this one is beautiful!
Our most popular selling bracelets are heart bracelets !!

I have some fossilized ivory - this friday coming in fr0m Point Hope and some very rare - white baleen !!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,519,534 times
I just found a whole big jar of fossilized shark teeth in a thrift store. Hundreds and hundreds of them. They are beautiful. It looks like they are polished. I figure I will make some kind a jewlery out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska