Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM

123 posts, read 201,867 times

Advertisements

I was watching Sarahs show last night (yeah i know) and she was "panning" for gold on the artic coast. i was just wondering whether or not that was going to be yet another thing that people are going to flock to ak to try and get rich on.....opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
Panning for gold = Arctic ocean full of gold?

I think we need to fill in some dots?

Panning for gold is a popular exercise. Truly hard work.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
No I think the OP has something here. It isn't the beautifull landscape and the outdoor activities that draw people to Alaska. It isn't the wonder that only exists in that area of the world that draws people to the state even just for a look see. The reason people want to go is because of all the gold in the Arctic Ocean. Just wondering if it is too late to secure a claim to a part of the Arctic Ocean. Maybe a new show will start on Discovery, Maybe they can call it "Worlds Deadliest Gold Panning Operation." "Or Sarah Palins Gold Diggs"

Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Try panning for Gold. It is cold and difficult work and even at current Gold prices not very lucrative. I have a Gold Nugget that I found panning near Cripple Creek, CO in 1966. My Dad and I worked 14 hour days for two weeks and other than the one nugget (about the size of a grape) we took out just over two ounces before assayed for purity. Back breaking work for very little return.

GL2

Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Arctic Ocean - Gold?? (chuckle) you won't make squat attemptinig that; and others have chimed in to explain why.

The Arctic is a gold mine for making money - huge amounts - staying at home making Arts & Crafts.

I pulled all four of my sons out of high school; in four short years they made over 600k

They sold Ivory bracelets & ear-rings - EVERYONE in Point Hope, Kotzebue & Barrow bought their products.

We kept detailed records of our daily sales; Their best day - 3k

Many weeks later; they had their best week - 9k

Not bad for teenagers !! darn good !!

This is so easy to accomplish; it is childs play!!

LOOK & LEARN

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

206 posts, read 514,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Arctic Ocean - Gold?? (chuckle) you won't make squat attemptinig that; and others have chimed in to explain why.

The Arctic is a gold mine for making money - huge amounts - staying at home making Arts & Crafts.

I pulled all four of my sons out of high school; in four short years they made over 600k

They sold Ivory bracelets & ear-rings - EVERYONE in Point Hope, Kotzebue & Barrow bought their products.

We kept detailed records of our daily sales; Their best day - 3k

Many weeks later; they had their best week - 9k

Not bad for teenagers !! darn good !!

This is so easy to accomplish; it is childs play!!

LOOK & LEARN
Ok so not bashing you here SityData, but i was under the impression you have to be a Native citizen to craft with Whale Ivory / Baleen ? Let alone you even pick up a Bald Eagle feather you can be arrested.

More then likely i am misinformed here, (like always) but even this is even partially true then telling others all the time you can make a fortune doing Arts & Crafts with Whale Ivory (or other Alaskan based animals) seems a bit of a reach.

My daughter would love to use ivory in her bracelets she makes, i cannot see her doing this without breaking some law or native custom.

Thanks in advance to anyone who clears this up for me.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Well it is very clear you are very misinformed !!

No problem let me clear it all up for you as I am an expert in this area.

First of all; My sons are Inupiaq !

ANYONE can carve using Ivory; but there are certain restrictions.

First lets do the easy part; Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage will sell Ivory to anyone and it is 100% legal.

Raw White Walrus Ivory can only be purchaed by an Inupiaq Native.

Beach washed white ivory is fair game to anyone that finds it washed up on any beach. If it is found, it should be brought to fish & game to be tagged and it is all yours 100% legal.

Anyone may purchase and work with and sell fossil ivory - mammoth ivory and mastodon ivory - there are no restrictions.

ELEPHANT IVORY IS 100% illegal all over the world.

This mastodon tusk was found by Clyde Harris of Kotzebue on his way to work, he saw something small sticking out of the mud; he kicked it and almost broke his toe. he bent over and grabbed the end and tried to move it; the ground moved; ten feet away; Clyde jumped up and ran home and got a shovel; this is what he dug up. He was offered $15,000 cash on the spot, he said no; That tusk would easily make about 200,000 in ear-rings

There is no ivory to be found on a whale; whale bone is not restricted. anyone may purchase it and carve on it. The same is true with Baleen - there are no restrictions

Last edited by SityData; 01-10-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
I don't know about the arctic, but I was watching "Alaska Gold Rush" last night and it seemed like they weren't finding enough to turn over a profit, and on top of that one of the guy's daughter got very sick and had to be airlifted to Anchorage. Seems too much trouble for little return. Though the old guy seems confident that by summer's end they will have found a million dollars worth of the stuff. Hmmmmm...

Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Gold mining on the beach at Nome isn't anything new. Most local businesses in Nome welcome the summer influx of visitors that try their hand at panning the golden beaches. Back in the 80's I went up a number of times. Pic of my setup the last time I went. Absolutely nothing easy about it.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I don't know about the arctic, but I was watching "Alaska Gold Rush" last night and it seemed like they weren't finding enough to turn over a profit, and on top of that one of the guy's daughter got very sick and had to be airlifted to Anchorage. Seems too much trouble for little return. Though the old guy seems confident that by summer's end they will have found a million dollars worth of the stuff. Hmmmmm...
I watched this show on Friday evening and found the entire program hardly comprehensible. I would suspect based on testing of Superfund sites where mining took place in the past the problem with the kid is likely mercury or cyanide poisoning. Many mines used these two very dangerous chemicals to recover gold and silver and made no effort to contain the waste products. With mercury you capture the gold and other heavy metals with Mercury and then bake off the mercury into the local environment. With cyanide you pile up the ore and then wash it with the cyanide solution and recover the leachate and extract your product and then dump the waste in any convenient place. Both mining processes contaminate the environment for years afterward. Extracting copper from the sulfate ore creates a great deal of sulphuric acid residue which is stored locally until it leaks away over time. Mining is a polluting process unless it is closely regulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska