Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM

15 posts, read 84,743 times

Advertisements

My dream is to take my sons to view aurora in Alaska and know that next year (2012) is supposed to have high aurora activity, which apparently happens only every few years. I would like to go next year, since by the time another high activity year comes around I will be older and it will be harderfor me to handle the arctic weather and the trip as my arthritis is getting worse by the year. My sons are young, 10 and 8. I want to travel next winter and plan a trip with the highest probability of seeing something (I know it's not a guarantee.). Don't have tons of money, but want a nice experience for them. Looking for suggestions for a nice trip, maybe a week total in Alaska. I guess to see aurora I'd probably have to go up to at least Fairbanks. I'd love to hear any suggestions of a nice trip. Also, this may sound stupid, but can appropriate very cold weather clothing be rented? We live in Southern California and buying heaving clothing could be expensive for 4 people. Thank you for any info you might have to share. Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Cheap winter clothing you should start checking the thrift stores in your area. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. You'd be surprised how much you can find even in California....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
I think that if you stay at Chena Hot Springs, they have winter gear to lend for Aurora Viewing.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Chena does have a viewing room of sorts. A large window with chairs to sit and watch. They also have coffee etc to warm up with if'n you get cold. Sweden and I stood out on the runway for a couple hours before we heard everyone inside hooting and hollering.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Just saw a nice little aurora curtain race across the sky. Never fails to stop me in my tracks, even in sweatpants at -30. *shiver*

Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM

23 posts, read 40,355 times
I think pick a place that you will enjoy even if the aurora aren't super while you're here, so it will be a good vacation even if you don't meet your primary objective What are you and your sons' interests?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 84,743 times
Well, our primary goal is to see the aurora. I know it's not a given, but would like to maximize our chances. But, aside from that, I'd like them to have some "typical" Alaska experiences like riding on a dog sled, snow shoeing, etc. Things they won't ever experience in California, and will remember. I thought of traveling in March and trying to see the beginning of the Iditarod, not following it to the more remote areas, though. And of course, just taking in the natural beauty. I am in my 50s and was last in Alaska in the late 1960s. I remember driving up the Alcan highway and just soaking in the beauty. I'd like that for them.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
You should drive up the Alcan sometime, it's so much straighter now. My first drive on it was in 1995, the year they started surveying it to straighten it out. I've done 16 more since then, most recent was in July of last summer.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
It's true that Fairbanks (and points north) will have a better overhead view of aurora, although it is very common to see the northern lights further south. I live in Seward, Ak (south of Anchorage on the Gulf of Alaska) and we see aurora perhaps a dozen or so times a year, but quite often it is faint, or just a view on the horizon to the north, not directly overhead. (although that also happens on occasion). We don't see it in the summer, but I think that's because it is pretty light outdoors, even at night. (they don't call it the "land of the midnight sun" for no reason)
I agree with the others: go to the Fairbanks area...generally in the winter months. (like Dec thru Feb). It will be cold, so get good winter clothing. (or go to an indoor viewing establishment)
Do a Google search for "aurora northern lights alaska" and you'll probably get some good leads...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 01-15-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Open this link, then open the activities link from the left column. Open the winter activities link and scroll down to the Snow Coach Tours. They've got a heated yurt with hot beverages and outhouses if needed. It's a 4 hour trip from 10 PM to 2AM. I've never done it but I'd bet it's a good time, especially for the younger ones.

WINTER ACTIVITIES - CHENA HOT SPRINGS RESORT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska