Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
i don't think it's operational anymore. i think i saw it advertised as being for sale at some point.
i could be wrong.
It is still operational. Check out their website.
Unalakleet River Lodge - Alaska -

My mom was a cook when the lodge was being built. I was looking at old pictures of it yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
very nice.
i hope that this show is good for their business!

and apparently i was on one of the more recent episodes. i got emails from downstates friends saying that they saw me. i'm finally famous!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM

225 posts, read 401,178 times
I like the program but, was really hoping it was more about BUSH pilots that do off runway landings delivering to goods to people and delivering and picking up people in the BUSH. Now, that would be an interesting show.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
that's pretty much what it is... but they land at airports sometimes as well. i've only seen one episode, but from what i've read, they have just about everything, including what you mentioned.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
that's pretty much what it is... but they land at airports sometimes as well. i've only seen one episode, but from what i've read, they have just about everything, including what you mentioned.
From what I have seen, they pretty much travel between villages and only do a few off runway flights. I am talking about flights when the old man took Heimo and Edna to their remote cabin or taking and picking up hunters. Going village to village can be boring. I want to see some real bush flying.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
From what I have seen, they pretty much travel between villages and only do a few off runway flights. I am talking about flights when the old man took Heimo and Edna to their remote cabin or taking and picking up hunters. Going village to village can be boring. I want to see some real bush flying.
Could be that they don't want the FAA on their butt from showing some of the landings they have to make from time to time.

I'm sure the FAA knows quite well what it is they do..... but it may perhaps just be one of those things where they are better off not knowing some of the hairier specifics of what bush pilots really do. Out of sight, out of mind (kind of like the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, in a way).

If some Safety Sally or Nervous Nosy Nancy in the FAA happens to catch a glimpse of some things, they just might get their bee in a bonnet about it.

Or, maybe television producers are just out of touch with their viewing audience (often seems to be the case), and they don't realize that many tune in because they want to see real bush flying.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:03 PM

455 posts, read 743,728 times
I watch for Jim's daughters not for his daring off-runway landings

Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Could be that they don't want the FAA on their butt from showing some of the landings they have to make from time to time.

I'm sure the FAA knows quite well what it is they do..... but it may perhaps just be one of those things where they are better off not knowing some of the hairier specifics of what bush pilots really do. Out of sight, out of mind (kind of like the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, in a way).

If some Safety Sally or Nervous Nosy Nancy in the FAA happens to catch a glimpse of some things, they just might get their bee in a bonnet about it.

Or, maybe television producers are just out of touch with their viewing audience (often seems to be the case), and they don't realize that many tune in because they want to see real bush flying.

Maybe I should make myself clearer, I'm not talking about ERA Flying Wild.I was referring to independent BUSH Air Taxi's that specifically fly into to remote areas that make pickup and deliveries. These are the pilots who have great stories.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
I have seen one show when they took two hunters into a remote area... they had to throw their gear out of the plane making several passes and making sure they could get each throw close to the other gear before he could land safely... they had the men walking away and caught them talking about almost Pi...ing their pants... LOL

Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
The pilots who fly for ERA, especially the older, more experienced ones, have plenty of great stories to tell, and a few of them have been shown on the show. I think you are being kind of over the top about the whole BUSH thing. I consider a village like Koyuk to be in "the bush", and I was under the impression that most other people do too. John Ponts and Jim Tweto, specifically, are phenomenal pilots, and some of those landings that Jim does on a routine basis would make most people get so nervous they would pass out.

Having some flight hours in my logbook, I know what it feels like to fly a plane, and it's not a walk in the park. It's not easy, and it requires a ton of training to be at the level of flying skill that guys like Jim Tweto have achieved. Basically what I'm saying is: do you feel like you could get in a plane and go out and do the things that Jim does, even just the things they show on the TV show? Because I have actually had some early flight training and can fly a plane (at a very rudimentary level, that is), and I would NEVER attempt to do what they do until I had well over 1500 hours in the books. But you know, I like being alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska