Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 PM

56 posts, read 83,342 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move to the Wasilla, from down here in Colorado. I am formally trained in biodynamic organic, the farm would be run in that discipline. I've lived on farms, in goat sheds, without certain amenities, in a remote area of a 3rd world country, so I'm well versed in "make a list for when I can get to town" or learn to do without. I'm prepared to do my power in wind and solar and want to cook biodiesel. We have bears down here so I'm not worried about that so much. Don't think I'll have much trouble feeding myself. I abhor warm temps so Alaska seems perfect.

I guess I'm wanting to talk to someone else that farms up there already. Is it cheaper to buy a blank parcel and build it up myself or buy something that already has the buildings and such? Land seems kinda spendy in that area....I'm wondering if I should get a job up there first and then while I'm up there shop around once I get an understanding of Alaska? I've heard straw is crap up there so doing strawbale construction sounds like it might be a moot point...am I going to be able to find turbines and solar panels up there or do I make a run back to Denver when I have the money and buy down south and drag it back up myself? Do I really need to come up in a 4X4? Should I wait till after March, to drive up, if I'm in a front-wheel drive? Will I be safe as a single woman or should I get big dogs AND big guns for more than just the Moose that I might shoot?

If anyone has suggestions, ideas, knows of someone I could talk to....that'd be great. I really want to get my butt up there soon!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
I know lots of farmers in the area. You would be best served to come up and work on a farm for awhile. Farmers are always looking for cheap/free labor. You have probably heard of the WOOOF system. Worldwide Opportunities On Organic Farms. My daughter is currently traveling all over South America and Europe staying and working on farms.

Just move up to work on a reputable farm. Work for free if need be. You will learn a lot about what will and what won't work in Alaska.

Look up the farms on the internet. Here are some:

Wolverine Farm
Pyrahs Pioneer Peak Farm
Rempel Family Farm | Certified Organic Mat-Su Valley Vegetables | Palmer, Alaska

Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
I agree with Marty's post to get a start and learn about the particulars of farming in Alaska.

You might also consider the Delta Junction area, if only because land is much cheaper than in Palmer or Wasilla. There's actually more ag land in production here than in southcentral. Of course the downside is that we're way more remote and have a shorter growing season. With that and our drier climate, the large farms mostly grow grain, but there are definetely vegetable farms in the Tanana Loop area.

There are NRCS and Soil & Water Conservation District offices in Palmer and Delta which should be willing to answer your questions, and give you an overview of what's practical in each area. Most of the Delta farmers are traditional commercial types (as opposed to organic), but they're beginning to wise up to the fact that farming in Alaska caters to a niche market, and that the organic and buy-local movements are a big part of that. There are off-the-grid farmers here too, especially way out the Alaska Highway, but don't dare call them hippies .

Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Delta is fine and in some ways better for growing as it gets warmer and has marginally longer daylight but the local markets are more abundant in Anchorage. Ditto the others on the come up and work first. I am already hip deep in organic gardening/backyard homesteading and a fair percentage of the folks at the local Anchorage/Valley farmers market are organic farmers as well. Below is an organization that the locals are part of.

Alaska Grown Online - Alaska Grown

There is also a new movement afoot to grow peonies commercially for the world wide flower market due to our late blooming times. There is no competition for the flowers due to the late bloom which are in high demand for weddings. Their site is below.

Welcome to The Alaska Peony Growers Association

You could probably springboard your searches by looking up organic farms in Alaska and the like with a search engine. Many if not most farmers have websites. There should be a wealth of information.

Good luck to you. What I don't grow myself, I buy at local markets in season. I fell in love with tatsoi last year and it's on my list of must have greens now. I also want organic or home grown eggs but none of the farmers market folks have them yet. My husband used to buy them from a co-worker that kept chickens but we are retired now so no more fresh eggs. We will welcome more diversity.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone! WOW! Lots of GOOD suggestions and info to process. I have WOOFed before so it might be time for me to revisit that. I'm mostly interested in doing greenhouse, hoop house and cold-frame herbs and medicinal flowers for naturopathic tinctures AND obviously grow small crops to feed myself and sell some. The peony thing isn't quite my bag but I do love Cyclamen as they are a cool-weather lover/bloomer. I also would love to cultivate Lavender up there! I would love to grow into a CSA eventually, (people LOVE pastured eggs and good spinach) but don't know if I would have the fortitude to keep that going AND start a nonprofit, possibly. I've also been wanting to start an alternative/digital delivery school for 9-12 grade rural teens since 2001 and think Alaska would be a good place to launch that.

Thanks so much everyone! Keep the suggestions and ideas coming. I'm all ears (eyes?)!

Jen

Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
"I also would love to cultivate Lavender up there!"

Unfortunately lavender is not a hardy perennial for south central Alaska. I had one plant that managed to overwinter in a mulched bed but though it lived, it never really recovered from our long winter and just looked sad to middling all summer and died out the next winter. Cyclamen likewise would require a protected indoor spot in the winter. Spinach works here but has a pretty fair tendency to bolt with our long days. The peony thing, though it's not your bag, could manage to bring in an easy income once they are mature. Other than caging the plant in the spring and digging in a little compost every two years or so, they are really low maintenance. I'm thinking about adding more for a little pay back from my landscaping.

Like others have said it's best to come up here, get involved in the farming/gardening/greenhouse scene and then make your plans. Things are so different here than other roughly equal hardiness zones due to the length of winter, the ice, the long days, the cooler summer nights.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks AK-Cathy-
That's why I am keeping my options open and am embracing all of my interests because I have no way of knowing what's going to work until I'm there. Things like, how long is it going to take me to build good dirt? That alone could take 5-7 years. WHO KNOWS?

I know I won't till I get there. LOL!

Thanks for your words!

Jen

Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
There is a pretty good older thread titled-Farming in Alaska? Lots of good links and information if you do a search for it on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska