Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Can whales get frostbite or polar bears?
Yes they can - you can visit them in the pet hospital

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Can whales get frostbite or polar bears?
Nope.

Consider that they tracked a polar bear recently that walked off the beach east of Barrow, and swam 500 miles to the pack ice. I didn't check to see how many days that took, but thats a pretty healthy hike in cold water, eh? :-)

As for bowhead whales, that's what all the blubber is for: insulation. Several years ago some science guys came up with an experiment to see just how good the insulation is too. The plan was to embed a recording thermometer into a few whales immediately after they have been harvested during the fall hunt to provide data on how fast the body cools off as it is towed to shore (an operation that normally takes hours).

The standard practice for all such science is that the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission and the Captain's Association review and must approve before it can be tried. This one they had an interesting modification to the plan. It seems the thermometers that were going to be used had too large a range. The whaling captains told them to use devices with just a few degrees of range and that could be read to tenths of a degree, because even many hours after death and while floating in cold water the heat does not escape. And as always, they were right. I don't remember the numbers now, but is was something like 2 degrees drop in many hours.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Yes they can - you can visit them in the pet hospital
Is that the hospital next to the one you're in?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I AM NOT 'superior' in any way manner shape or form.
You sure do talk as though you think you are! Or sorry, perhaps it was one of the other people who post as you. Who knows? You really are somewhere between the x-files and the twilight zone, aren't you? lol!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
You sure do talk as though you think you are! Or sorry, perhaps it was one of the other people who post as you. Who knows? You really are somewhere between the x-files and the twilight zone, aren't you? lol!
Stupid is... as stupid does!! - Forest Gump!!

I simply cannot believe the presumption on this topic.

I am such a very bad person, for letting my sons use this computer.. gripe gripe gripe over the fact that 5 people use this account.

why ?? When I am tired and I lie down. one of my sons is at the computer. I do the talking, he does the typing.

What is so terribly wrong and awful about that????-
some of you people really need a life.

NON STOP bitching about anything and everything I do.

all these experts on sicpan and none of you have ever even touched the stuff - yet your experts !!

take some cookie dough - roll it in a ball, now dip it in gasoline - now put in the oven . I don't care what temp. it will ignite !!!

sicpan has the same properties!!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM

455 posts, read 743,218 times
#1: Polar bears are delicious.

#2: No one's ever eaten polar bears!

#3: What's a polar bear?

#4: I live in Point Hope!

#5: Say hi to Mom for me.

I give each of the five people using my account a chance to post simultaneously; that way the confusion is all together in one place and it doesn't lead to allegations of mental instability.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
#1: Polar bears are delicious.

#2: No one's ever eaten polar bears!

#3: What's a polar bear?

#4: I live in Point Hope!

#5: Say hi to Mom for me.

I give each of the five people using my account a chance to post simultaneously; that way the confusion is all together in one place and it doesn't lead to allegations of mental instability.
hahhahahahaa like we are suppose to believe this??? I find it interesting that at the age your sons are they still live with you?? most boys are out on their own in their 20's let alone any older.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
I'll tell ya, when cabin fever starts in Alaska, it ain't pretty!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hahhahahahaa like we are suppose to believe this??? I find it interesting that at the age your sons are they still live with you?? most boys are out on their own in their 20's let alone any older.
Ha ha, he fooled you! Check the screen name.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
it's definitely february.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska