Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

I think what we need is for some good hearted soul to give this a try and come back with results.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'm Yup'ik...
Maybe we could explain that Yup'ik is Yupiaq, which is the same word (literally) as Inupiaq.

The difference is that what is now called Proto-Eskimo by linguists was the language Eskimo people spoke up to about 2000 years ago. At that time a dialect in northwestern Alaska drifted far enough away from Proto-Eskimo to become not just a separate dialect, but an separate language. One of the ways it diverged was that while the rest of the Eskimo speakers used the "y" sound at the beginning of the root word for a human, the new dialect move towards using the "i" sound. The original word: Yupiaq, the new word Inupiaq.

Same words in two cognate languages. Of course the connotation has become fairly narrow for both words, and in the Yup'ik dialect (Central Alaskan Yupik) the term Yupiaq means specifically them (as opposed to other Eskimos) and in the Inuit dialect spoken in Alaska the term Inupiaq means specifically them (also as opposed to other Eskimos).

Warpt is a typical modest Yupiaq, he won't tell you it's silly to rant and rave about living with Eskimos for 30 years, because he's gonna be 39 years old again next year... and all of his sisters are Eskimos.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I think what we need is for some good hearted soul to give this a try and come back with results.

THAT is the most sensible thing posted here yet.

I realize how foreign this method sounds; AND I will swear on a bible; this works!!

IN Alaska in the Arctic !! Yeah I tried it on the east coast. It was awful. It made matters much worse.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:11 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'm Yup'ik...
Well you're more native than Sity...

Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
I can't try it as much as I'ld like to. I am hard up on the east coast 60 miles from the sea.

It hasn't been all that cold a winter here either, never even -15 yet and it isn't going to be at this point.

I was scared someone might count on this tip, and if it works anywhere it only works where SityData is.....

I didn't think it was -30 below in summer on the ice in the first place. I thought it was -30 and far colder in winter, and times when the sun was up less than 8 hours a day.

Up on the mountians in a sunny day, in a calm place out of wind at -40 the sun feels pretty good, but there isn't that situation often on these mountains.

There is some offical number of clear sunny days for them, and it's like 5. Over the years I have found a few of them, but not many.

I get to see that Ice Road Truckers show and i see drivers pop out of a warm cab in terrible conditions, but they are warmed and stay out a short time, then get back in to drive.

That engine stops in the boonies and things will be a little different.

I wonder if it can be -30 in the air, standing 3 feet from the edge of a ice shelf, since that salt water can't be colder than about +25. And I don't understand why there isn't heavy fog in that case, but the fact remains there isn't. Even I can see that.

I like learning, but I get scared with universal advice like it seemed to be in the begining.

I don't like to see people carry black body parts out of the woods much, it upsets me.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I didn't think it was -30 below in summer on the ice in the first place. I thought it was -30 and far colder in winter, and times when the sun was up less than 8 hours a day.
Relatively, that is true. It was -29F in Barrow last night, and today the sun will be up for only 7 hours. By this time next month it won't likely be hitting -30, but the sun will be up for more than 11 hours. By April it certainly will not be hitting -30, and the sun will be up for as much 16 hours too.

Quote:
I wonder if it can be -30 in the air, standing 3 feet from the edge of a ice shelf, since that salt water can't be colder than about +25. And I don't understand why there isn't heavy fog in that case, but the fact remains there isn't. Even I can see that.
If you see a picture where someone claims it is -30F and there is open water and no fog... it's not -30F. You are correct that the water will have to be warmer than +25F, and the temperature differential necessarily means there will be a "fog".

Quote:
I like learning, but I get scared with universal advice like it seemed to be in the begining.
It was universal bs.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Here in NH above tree line at -40 and colder, rhyme ice forms on hard objects like signs and posts for signs and if there is exposd rock there too. The sky can be chrystal clear and you can sit there next to a post above tree line and see feathers of ice grow before your eyes.

It takes several minutes to see any growth, but I spend time slowly watching things sometimes.

Hours will grow rhyme ice and then if the wind changes the feathers all break off and the post will be nearly ice free again.

Just below tree line, under the ice and snow water is still moving as waters does down hill, and in places where there is enough water to change air temps enough it will make a hole in the snow. There new rhyme ice will form as the small fog emitts from the hole. Any of that fog that hits the edge of the hole with instantly freeze and become feathers or flowers made of ice.

Sometimes hiking is too fast.

When it gets colder than -40 a man can pee and it freezes before the pee hits the snow pack, and pops and crackels as sounds. Spitting sounds like a little gun pop too at that cold. It isn't so loud as any real gun, but I find stupid stuff like that interesting.

I enjoy the cold for the purity. Someday before I get to be too much older I'ld like to winter over in AK. I just am not sure what i could to for work. I don't think I could fiund work up there, that can be done outside in winter with bare hands and I can't work all that well in gloves or mitts.

It takes planning a lot with mitts to ooad a roll of film in a camera and you loose some film since it can break right off working with it. Doing that at times I can break off 5 or 6 frames on a roll of 36.

One day I physically crashed into a Mt Washington Weather man, in a white out with high winds maybe around 125 MPH. He was in a orange parka which is their uniform.

He took me for a wacko nut case, but I was having a great time. I was headed to summit and he was headed back to the observatory, a old one now gone made of wood and chained to the mountain.

I fell in behind him and noticed he was limping bad. I thought he sprained an ankel or worse ice axed himself. So I wacked him on the back to stop him and see what the matter was.

To speak we both had to yell as loud as was possible with out hands cupping our faces.

Turned out his over boot clamp came loose and the over boot was cockeyed interfearing with his walking.

I bent down on my knees to see, and stood back up doing that hands cupping and yelling again. I said 'I'll Fix that!" His grew to be as big as silver dollars and he yelled back 'Don't take yer Mitt's Off!"

I grinned and reached with my mitts on for my swiss knife, and opened the screw driver blade in his face. He allowed me to fix the clamp and set his over boot back to straight.

I saved him a lot of time enabling him to walk again.

My mitts are highly water resistant, but I seldom allow them to get wet just the same. I am pretty proud of my partly home made mitts too, and the fact I still have all my fingers and toes.

I won't go so far as to say the cold has never made me hurt so bad I didn't cry and yell, but I still have all my fingers and toes.

People tend to underestimate these little mountains, and end up dead. I am not sure what the body count is now and how much is just due to cold, but that number increases most every year.

One of the last to die had done Mt Everest more than once.

Another than didn't die but lost his legs now works at MIT working out body part robots to help other people who loose body parts any way they do.

I was angery at the time that guy and his buddy both were hard frost bite, as a friend of mine Albie Dow was killed out searching for them. I find it is easier to forgive now that this work is going on and was made public so I could know.

I have carried out more than my fair share of wounded and dead myself and it isn't pretty.

Sometimes there is talk of fencing off the mountains, which is simply nuts and i wouldn't want that.

People need to be aware of what they are about to do and get it done, with out putting themselves to these risks.

I don't know about the cold in AK, but here I know it, and it means thinking on things that seem simple, like how to get dressed and what to wear. How to stay clean and dry.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,731 times
i think that in alaska there are fewer people who underestimate the cold. because it's alaska, everybody has the mindset that it's going to be cold and that you need to prepare for it. i can picture somebody in new hampshire thinking "it's only new hampshire, how cold can it get?" and proceeding to under-prepare. new hampshire isn't synonymous with cold in the psyche of the general public the way that alaska is, so i think it's more likely that people underestimate the weather there.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,131 times
I never thought New Hampshire had mountain climbing either, until I read a book "High Crimes on Mt. Everest". I think sometimes the weather in Alaska is overestimated.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,731 times
since when is snot a sensitive issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska