Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,750,646 times

Advertisements

I would search for legit work-at-home professions and maybe jam in some quick schooling before moving if necessary....I do medical transcription from home, did schooling online, job interviews online and phone, direct deposit for example. I have never seen anyone in person I have worked for. Or create your own job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,794,271 times
Tutoring might work.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,992,339 times
Good response Granny...there are legitimate ways to work from home. It takes some ingenuity and resourcefulness.

If you think about it...most of what is done in a cubicle can be done at home, and in many fields, is done at home. Many of the people I sell homes to do a lot of their work at home. Some go into Anchorage 2 days a week, one goes to Texas 2x a year and does the rest of his work at home. These people are either highly educated in their field...or highly skilled in IT.

If you are a person in high demand you can basically TELL your employer that you are going to work from home, if they don't like it, someone else will.

So the bottom line is make yourself a person in demand and you can work from home, or Hawaii, or a boat etc.

I know a person who has a boat called "PHONE". He does most of his work on his boat. His receptionist takes messages and tells people that he is on the "phone".

Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 AM

62 posts, read 161,595 times
I think you have posted your "dream result" and there are plenty of opportunities targeted towards people who think that way - all you need to do is stay up until 1am and turn on the TV. The dvd's will be on their way!

In all seriousness, you need to stop ruling out "sales". Why does that term scare so many people? 100% of profits in any company, in any industry are made at the moment something is SOLD. So why would you rather just be a talking head on the phone instead of the one who sells the stuff? Who do you think makes the $$$?!?!

I hated the idea of sales too because I thought I was no good at it, but now our business supports a family of 4 that moves all over the country at will and it's been that way for 7 years. Once I realized how easy sales was, I just started to duplicate that across other things I wanted to do. Starting a business is easy if you're dedicated to selling whatever it is you have for sale!

You can choose to be a worker, or you can take your life into your own hands. I wouldn't be looking at any drastic moves until you've taken your life into your own hands.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:08 AM

62 posts, read 161,595 times
Also... if you're seriously only interested in owning a job, instead a business of your own, I know of several people who make OK money in medical billing. That's one industry that relies heavily on stay at home moms.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,093 times
Thank you all for the replies. I do know what I need to accomplish to get the results I want~and will find a way to do so

Old 02-19-2011, 01:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,839,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I would search for legit work-at-home professions and maybe jam in some quick schooling before moving if necessary....I do medical transcription from home, did schooling online, job interviews online and phone, direct deposit for example. I have never seen anyone in person I have worked for. Or create your own job...
How can you tell the legit from the scam? I'd like to work from home as I am needed to help my daughter with her health issues.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:29 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
How can you tell the legit from the scam? I'd like to work from home as I am needed to help my daughter with her health issues.
If you find it on the internet...it's probably a scam. All you need to do is think of things you could do at home. Are you internet savvy? Could you do a website? Can you write? How about doing a blog about Fairbanks and after you build up enough readers start either advertising on the site or charging businesses for a post.

We started palmeralaska.net about a year ago and my daughter connected it to facebook. The facebook page has over 4000 members, (likes), now. Every time we post an article about Palmer it goes out to all those 4000 people. We are not using this for business...yet. But I can see the potential.

I started a facebook page for matsuvalley just a couple weeks ago and spent about $200 advertising it and got it up over 1000 in a week. I have stopped advertising it but I do post articles from my real estate blog on it.

If you can write about Fairbanks some local realtors might want you to write for them.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,750,646 times
Marty, not sure what the need is up there for realtor help, but maybe some home staging (decluttering, rearranging), pictures and descriptions of properties going on the market? I went through our previous house down here, did just that with the leasing company putting the ad out. We had 1 showing and we were able to get out of our lease in less than a few days. Not sure of the need, but an idea though not totally at home.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,740,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy86 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I do know what I need to accomplish to get the results I want~and will find a way to do so

YOU made a very wise investment; you cannot possibly fail; IF you put in the time !! Literally hundreds of people use this method to support their large families - for decades!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska