Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Just that Bill Hess is the best photographer on the entire North Slope. Geez, even you^^ couldn't argue with that.
The difference between you and I, is that I say hello to Bill when I see him. And I've also told him point blank why I think he is one of the best living photographers in the world today.

From my perspective, he ranks right along with Dorothea Lange, Ansel Adams, and Alfred Eisenstadt. The reason is because I can spot his style in virtually everything he does. It isn't uncommon that I see a couple pictures and think to myself, "That looks like a Bill Hess picture", and most of the time that is exactly what it is.

Of course that kind of style is of significance to me, so I see a lot more in it that the average person does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 41,382 times
I got another question about barrow, where do i get a license to bring alcohol in for my own use, like a bottle of wine to cook and so on?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I've been too busy lately to see all the good stuff. It's deleted before I get around to looking. Musta been good stuff to, guessing from the fragments that get left.

Oh well.
Eh, not really. You didn't miss anything. Apparently I don't know how to use a search engine because I didn't know who Bill Hess is.

Oh well, indeed.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Your pomposity must even get irritating to yourself after a while. It's been many years since I lived in Barrow but I ran across Mr. Hess quite often. I didn't just stop and say hello as you do we actually stopped and had conversations. As many people on here have pointed out your only a second rate photographer at best. Many of us can spot a Bill Hess photo. So you can quit patting yourself on the back now.
You missed the golden opportunity back last August. I posted five images asking for critical comparison, and not one person recognized that two of them were classic Bill Hess photographs. That didn't surprise most people, including those here who actually are good photographers.

It would have gotten you though, just like it did Notreesiniceland and RayinAK, both of whom shot off their left foot and stuffed the right one down their own throats. "Crap" was what Notrees called work by Hess. Ray wasn't far behind. You'd have been right in there with them. Vitriol and venomous emotions, and rarely anything productive...

I doubt you could spot the style of any photographer! In fact, I'll give you a chance to prove otherwise too. Below are two photographs taken by photographers whose names will be recognized by most people who read this thread. Each image is a good representation of the portrait style of the photographer that took the image. I doubt you can 1) tell us anything at all about the style differences between the two photographs, or 2) name either of the photographers who took the pictures.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by german_in_alaska View Post
I got another question about barrow, where do i get a license to bring alcohol in for my own use, like a bottle of wine to cook and so on?
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it's the City that does that, so you'll want to stop by City Hall, or maybe call them on the phone first and ask what to do.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by german_in_alaska View Post
I think they are issued through the City of Barrow:

Barrow, Alaska

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Eh, not really. You didn't miss anything. Apparently I don't know how to use a search engine because I didn't know who Bill Hess is.

Oh well, indeed.
It's very Alaska centric, so there's no reason you would know who he is. What I missed is whatever it was that brought Hess's name into the thread, because whatever it was got deleted.

Ever notice how any discussion of photography past the "Great picture!" level turns some folks into jiggling jello ******* of green jealousy?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I've always thought your photographs are gorgeous, Floyd.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
To obtain a permit to purchase alcohol in Barrow; first you go to city hall and get the paper work for a permit; then you must obtain a background check at the police station; $25 bux then pay $75 @ city hall when the checks have been completed.

Then you are allowed to purchase / order a certain amount @ the distribution center.

It takes 2 - 3 days from when you place your order for it to arrive @ the distribution center in Barrow

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've always thought your photographs are gorgeous, Floyd.
Thank you for such kind words.

I notice that our "experts" don't have the brass to even try guessing at an identification of the style of the two photographs that I posted. So I'll give a hint... I've mentioned that Bill Hess's style is as distinctive as are those of Alfred Eisenstaedt (30+ years with Life Magazine, and 92 front covers images for Life), Dorothea Lange (most famous for a 1936 photo of Florence Owens Thompson titled "Migrant Mother") and of course Ansel Adams; and it can be assumed there is a connection between the images posted and the four photographers named (Hess, Eisenstaedt, Lange, and Adams).

The point of course is that Stiffnecked claimed he can spot a photographer's style... when in fact he can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska