Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 15,513 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I know this question has been asked in the past, but I'm looking for specific information about driving to Alaska in the winter. My husband and I have recently received a position in Palmer and we will be moving from WA state to Alaska in mid March. What should I expect? Are the 2 major routes through Canada both open? Price difference in gas on one vs the other? I believe he will be flying and myself driving. Thoughts on where to stop at night? Border crossings? I will have a couple of firearms, all long guns, how do I go about transporting them through Canada. Any advice is greatly appreciated. What other documents to I need to get through Canada besides my EDL? Thanks!!

Christie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Your EDL should be enough, but don't forget to bring proof of insurance. Are you bringing any pets? If so you'll need vet certificates. I can't answer your gun questions except that it might be easier for your husband to take them on his flight. Why is he flying while you're driving, btw?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
March is a great time to drive up, things are starting to warm up and the days are getting longer.

I did a drive in March in 2006, took me three days to get to Washington state. I'd look at about four or five days to comfortably come up.

You have more places to lodge up in on the Alcan itself. Your first night could be Prince George, I did this on my way back in 2006. Second night you can stay at Fort Nelson. Third I'd stop in Whitehorse. Of course, this is me driving. I've done this trip 17 times now.

WA State Licensing: Frequently asked questions - EDL/EID
"Can I travel into Canada and return to the U.S. by land or sea using an expired passport and driver license?
No. We recommend you bring a valid (current) passport, birth certificate, or a valid alternative travel document, to avoid additional screening at the border crossing."

I'd stick to the Alcan Highway instead of the Cassiar in winter, more places are open and more places to fuel up. You also have the Liard River Hot Springs to unwind for a few hours.

Don't drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night, this is a mountainous area and there are a lot of animals on the road.

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

For your guns...
A Practical Guide to Canada's Gun Laws for Americans (http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/ - broken link)

Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Only thing to add, there really isn't anything practical about bringing guns into Canada... If you know how to use a gun and want one for safety, pick your one favorite long gun and try to get it approved, let your husband fly the rest up. If you are not comfortable using one don't bring it with you.

Ohh and bear spray (or wasp spray) works well against people too. take Warptman's advice, I know that he has given me great leads and ideas for my drive up this summer.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Don't let your tank go below 1/2. Never pass an opportunity to get fueled up.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...good-eats.html

Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM

More food along the Highway.

Food Beyond Hope

Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the thoughts! So, more thoughts now....Anyone know what the price is for gas currently along the Alcan? Would I be better off too have Canadian currency or American, I hear there is a sliding exchange in place for American money how does that work. I've grown up in Colorado and have driven in snow my entire life, what should I be expecting for weather and road conditions at this time of year?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoblauchc View Post
Would I be better off too have Canadian currency or American, I hear there is a sliding exchange in place for American money how does that work.
There is no exchange rate anymore. I've seen a few days lately where the American dollar was worth less then the Canadian.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 PM

DriveBC

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Your EDL should be enough, but don't forget to bring proof of insurance. Are you bringing any pets? If so you'll need vet certificates. I can't answer your gun questions except that it might be easier for your husband to take them on his flight. Why is he flying while you're driving, btw?
We have struggled to get his birth certificate, so we are not sure his EDL or passport would be back in time for when I would have to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska