Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Because some people just really resent anything done by anyone to help a Native that doesn't help them more.

You seem to be in that line yourself, Ray. And that is despicable.
Some people are just posting the news about the possible investigation, and the investigation is not directed at the Native population, but to the corporations and contractors.

What is despicable is you shooting the messenger. Tell PBS and the newspapers that it's despicable what they are doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some people are just posting the news about the possible investigation, and the investigation is not directed at the Native population, but to the corporations and contractors.

What is despicable is you shooting the messenger. Tell PBS and the newspapers that it's despicable what they are doing
And the racist nature of the lies you spread has been previously explained here in detail... and will probably need to be again because in three months or six months you'll be back, saying exactly the same things.

I don't care if it is a Democrat in the US Senate, a Republican in the House, PBS or the Washington Post, it is still both racist and dishonest. And you know that and repeat it anyway! What's that make you?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
You summarize it as extremely poor performance, but your understanding seems to be what is poor. That does not appear to be poor performance at all, but rather good business practice.

Incidentally, in 2008 the 12 regional Native corporations alone distributed approximately $171 million dollars as dividends. That is more than twice as much (and is not including dividends from subsidiaries or village corporation) as the $615 per 130,000 shareholders you are claiming.
Not something that I am claiming. It is from a report put out by Senator McCaskill's office. I am just linking to the news report.

Where is your link to support that $171 million was given to 12 regional corporations? I don't believe anything that you type that does not attribute a source. You are the one who uses hand-waving arguments only.

If it is true that $171 million went out from a government grant of $5.2 billion, this is still only 3.3% return-on-investment. Again, P.I.S.S. POOR!! No wonder the Native Alaskans are p.i.s.s.e.d. off!! They would be better off asking the government to put that money into a 4% yielding government bond! (That would generate $1,600 interest income per each shareholder.) So the non-native ANCs are skimming in excess of 97%. Shameful!

Quote:
If you had honest facts it would be an interesting discussion. But it is clear that you are willing repeat any lie you can find to attack something that benefits Native people. That's why it's racist.
Nope. Those numbers are from Senator McCaskill's office.

I am shocked how you come across as EXTREMELY RACIST because you support the systematic rip-off of Alaskan Natives by non-native administrators, "consultants", executives, lawyers, liars, whatever, under the guise of assisting them. This is a very insidious practice and needs to be stopped. We Alaskans need to stand up and support their fight against the ANC racists and racist ANC supporters such as yourself. Considering your previous rhetoric, it appears that you are finally showing your true hand.

A 1.5% return-on-investment is p.i.s.s. POOR under any measure one would want to use. But then, you are probably on the payroll of an ANC so that would make any of your statements a conflict of interest.

BTW, I had a former employee of an ANC PM me privately and state that the news reports to which I am linking are examples of the corruption that he or she witnessed as an employee of that ANC.

Another friend of mine (Native Alaskan) says that the suicide rate is going UP amongst his people not DOWN, partly because of the $billions being wasted by the non-native administrators, executives, "consultants", lawyers, liars, etc. of the ANCs. (The 'trickle-down theory' isn't working.) Again, amazingly shameful!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

Yes, it is easy to see who works for ANCs. These reports by U.S. Senators and investigative reporters (Democrats at that!) has them scared that the Gravy Train may be coming to a overdue derailment!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Given the numbers gathered by Senator McCaskill's office (Democrat, Missouri), we can easily work out the overhead rate being charged by the ANCs to the U.S. Federal government under the guise of assisting the Alaskan Natives.

With $5.2 billion being spent on ~130,000 Native Alaskan shareholders, this represents a grant -if you will- of $40,000 per Native Alaskan.

But, according to Senator McCaskill, only $615 of benefits are being realized on average by each Native Alaskan. This is not cash, but a value that probably includes cash dividend plus the value of goods and services delivered by the ANCs. (Health care, counseling, tutoring, whatever is being provided.)

So, $615 divided by $40,000 shows an overhead charge rate of 98.5%! Wow.

Now, how does that compare with the overhead rates charged by other organisations which purport to provide goods and services to dis-advantaged peoples?

Well, I know of three non-profits whose overhead rates are 5%, 11% and 21%, respectively. That means that 95%, 89% and 79%, respectively, of the money given to the organisations makes it to the people being served.

A university where I used to work used an overhead rate of 50%. Thus, for every $1 of grant money, $0.50 went to the overhead of the university, and $0.50 went to actual research.

I also worked for a lawyer who I convinced to pay me $25 per hour, but bill me out at $75 per hour. This represents an overhead rate of 67%.

I have also read of the troubles surrounding the mis-guided aid work being done in Africa. There, some organisations have overhead rates of up to 80%! (This is one of the reasons that people like Paul Theroux are suggesting the aid to African nations does more harm than good for the Africans.)

But, here in Alaska, we have the winner of the HIGHEST OVERHEAD RATE award. It goes to ANCs with their incredible 98.5% rate!! That means that for every $1.00 of grant money, $0.985 goes into the pockets of the mostly non-native employees, administrators, executives, "consultants", lawyers, liars, etc. who purportedly work for the assistance of the Alaskan natives.

Here is a brief summary:
Organisation Type Overhead Rate (Amount skimmed off each $1 in grant money)
ANCs 98.5%
Failing AID organisations in Africa 80%
Law Firm 67%
University 50%
Non-profit #1 21%
Non-profit #2 11%
Non-profit #3 5%

Doesn't look good.

I have a better idea. Next post.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 AM

The better idea is that since Alaskan Natives still need assistance, that the grant money be distributed in either one of two ways.

First, the ~$40,000 per Native Alaskan could be given in the form of vouchers. Each Native Alaskan could then shop for the best deal in health care, counseling, tutoring, or whatever other good or service they are allowed to purchase with said vouchers. This would provide competition amongst goods and services providers and lead to cost savings. [The Federal government might even consider granting a smaller amount since more would go towards benefiting the Alaskan Natives than is being realised now under the non-native "management" (skimming) of the ANCs.]

Second, the Federal government could simply open for competitive bidding the contracts currently being given to the non-native "managed" ANCs.

The Native Alaskans need assistance. Why can't they receive it?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
This whole debate was started by a few opportunistic politicians who knew they could throw out sound bites like "sole source" or "no bid" contracts, and rely on the media to pick up on it and make it sound nefarious, enabled by the masses who never bother to check facts on their own. In fact, these are simply legal, alternate methods of awarding contracts. These hack politicians also knew that with the loss of Ted Stevens, Alaska, or more accurately Alaska Natives, would be the most vulnerable to their political conniving.

Racism, pure and simple. Especially disgusting as the attacks are coming from the political party that pretends to be the most racially sensitive.
Exactly

Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Exactly
Are you saying that Senator McCaskill (Democrat, Missouri) is a racist? Or that California Democrat Jackie Speier is a racist?

California Democratic Rep. Jackie Speier said she wants more done to limit the abuse of sole-source contracts received by Alaska Native corporations. The recent federal regulatory changes in the program will not end debate about new restrictions, as Speier is just one of several members of Congress raising objections.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - entry Congresswoman alleges abuse in Alaska sole source contracts

You support MooseWhisperer's claim that the Democrats are racist? Are all of these several members of Congress Democrats?

Well, okay.....

Which ANC do you work for?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
And the racist nature of the lies you spread has been previously explained here in detail... and will probably need to be again because in three months or six months you'll be back, saying exactly the same things.

I don't care if it is a Democrat in the US Senate, a Republican in the House, PBS or the Washington Post, it is still both racist and dishonest. And you know that and repeat it anyway! What's that make you?
It does not make me anything that is of any concern of yours, Floyd. If you want to call the Natives quoted in the PBS documentaries, "racist," go ahead. The same if you want to include PBS, News Miner, ADN, and a whole bunch of US newspapers in the group of racists, by all means go ahead and do so

Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Thank you Teak for you working so hard to help support our Corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: