U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM

35 posts, read 76,328 times

Advertisements

I've applied for a job in Juneau since its with an organization (NWS) that I want to work for but is hard to get into. I have my doubts about the city though. How do you think a single early 30s (male) would find it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,248,927 times
It would depend on what you like in a city. Everyone is different.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM

5,356 posts, read 17,622,304 times
If you like outdoor activities and don't mind doing them sometimes in the rain, you should do well. If you're into sports, there are many adult leagues going on throughout the year. If your main interests are nightlife, then you'll find it more difficult here.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM

I like to do lots of different stuff, definately including the outdoors (like hiking, like snow). I"m not a big night life person but I do like to go out once in a while. Overall I'm more of a low key person though. I think I'd be ok but I'm just wondering if its the kind of place thats mainly people under 20 and over 40 with families. Not that I mind those people but its nice to have people around too that you have more in common with.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

305 posts, read 620,448 times
That's the world, man; just live.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 17,622,304 times
There are places to go out, but nowhere near as many in a larger city. While there are people in the 20-40 age group here, a large portion started out as couples while under 20 and remain as couples. There used to be a weekly pullout in the paper geared to the 20-40 age group, but it died out. It was called the Hooligan and you can find some of the old articles here:

Archives - Juneau Empire (http://juneauempire.com/archives/ - broken link)

It ran on Thursdays.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM

so not exactly a good dating scene for a single thirty something. yeah, I was afraid of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
There are places to go out, but nowhere near as many in a larger city. While there are people in the 20-40 age group here, a large portion started out as couples while under 20 and remain as couples. There used to be a weekly pullout in the paper geared to the 20-40 age group, but it died out. It was called the Hooligan and you can find some of the old articles here:

Archives - Juneau Empire (http://juneauempire.com/archives/ - broken link)

It ran on Thursdays.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM

863 posts, read 1,884,314 times
I've spent very little time in Juneau, but I'd certainly think its status as the state capital (and its attractive location) would attract a lot of the single, "young professional" type. There's a higher proportion of people with college degrees in Juneau than elsewhere in AK. It tends to lean much more liberal than the other two cities in the state. It's often said that the "culture" is more like an outpost of the northwest (Seattle, Portland) than the "frontier" Alaska mentality. After growing up in Seattle and talking to lots of people from Juneau this seems roughly accurate (again, I haven't spent much time there). As far as demographics go, I wouldn't think someone in their 30s would have a harder time there than in any other small city with a population around 35,000.

In general it seems like the only things that get to people in Juneau are the cloudy/rainy weather (coniserably moreso than Seattle), and the general feeling of isolation, since you can't drive anywhere else.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 PM

oh, ok. maybe not so bad then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
I've spent very little time in Juneau, but I'd certainly think its status as the state capital (and its attractive location) would attract a lot of the single, "young professional" type. There's a higher proportion of people with college degrees in Juneau than elsewhere in AK. It tends to lean much more liberal than the other two cities in the state. It's often said that the "culture" is more like an outpost of the northwest (Seattle, Portland) than the "frontier" Alaska mentality. After growing up in Seattle and talking to lots of people from Juneau this seems roughly accurate (again, I haven't spent much time there). As far as demographics go, I wouldn't think someone in their 30s would have a harder time there than in any other small city with a population around 35,000.

In general it seems like the only things that get to people in Juneau are the cloudy/rainy weather (coniserably moreso than Seattle), and the general feeling of isolation, since you can't drive anywhere else.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM

222 posts, read 353,072 times
I'm older than you and new to the area, but I have seen quite a number of your age group going about life here in Juneau. There are quite a few young"ish" Coast Guard and other agencies employees. I think if you get the job offer, hop on a plane and come up and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska