Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Well thank you Arctic State & thanks again Mz. EllaRose!

I have done my job well, to keep your interest for 22 pages!!

Jesse is coming up to the finish; and it is quite a spectacular finish indeed.

Here are some previews of comng attractions;

All of the necessary pieces are prepared, the insets are ready to glue in:

All four insets are placed together; they are not even glued yet; the fit is snug and tight no gaps. One the pieces are all glued together properly, then the hand sanding the pieces into a well rounded shape.

Once each piece is perfect; - then that is close enough!!

While Jesse is busy working; Mark & Khris are busy with their next two bracelets.

The other two bracelets that Mark & Khris finished today are below;
We had a good day; I am satisified; it wasn't what we wanted but at least we met some new people and sold two more bracelets @ Darwins Theory in Anchorage.

Marks is the 'short stubby'

Khris with the 'narrow oval'

Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Well the boys are getting ahead of me; and I have got to catch up to them on this thread.

Yesterday they sold 2; they purchased some small amount of ivory from AFE. 2 small pieces; they didn't listen - I told them distincly to create a photo of this one certain piece of ivory - they didn't. They also didn't do what I requested. just cut it all up and make ear-rings. Nope! They used it for insets and we lost money this time. Oh we made plenty of money; but not near the profit margin we are comfortable with.

we are all out of ivory again. The two pieces we purchased yesterday for 150 made three bracelets. Again we didn't get what we wanted but we did sell three of them today for a total of 450.

Angle the pieces @ 18 degrees. It takes less than a second or two per piece.

That tusk; most of it has already been cut up - into 30 slices. We can easily make 5 bracelets with this piece. Six or seven if we mix it with 'scraps' we have for insets.

soaking the new pieces in baby oil to bring out additional colors and strengthen or darken them to some degree. The longer you let these pieces 'marinate'. the more pronounced the effects will be.

Jesse is trudging along, by himself - hand sanding the pieces to form the final finished shape(s). I should have a photo soon to show one finished set of the four hearts in one piece all finished and polished.

Today's finished bracelets; The boys were up early and out the door by noon. This is out daily routine. Work for a few hours in the morning, pre-fab for the next day for an hour. Then the rest of the day to enjoy.

One stop shopping; Out the door into a cab over to the Native Hospital - they sold all three and went right to Alaska Fur Exchange to exchange their money for more Ivory. Bill the salesman that has to watch them when they are out back picking through the bins looking for pieces said to them; you boys are sure making money; You have been spending over a thousand per week. You are coming in pretty regular. Mark said - we are just getting started!!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM

I just know; someone, somewhere is making these same shapes as we are: Someone is gaining the skills to accomplish this.

Good luck to you!! .. I sure hope you post some of your work in this thread soon !!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
I love this thread (just lurking but it's drawn me back every day to see the new pics). Thanks! I think my favorite so far is the recent one with the smaller pieces in between the larger ones at the top of this page. I'll be visiting Alaska for the first timein June. I'm sure I'll come across your work in some of the store I visit!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Well thank you very much Mdcrim; So glad to hear that you & many others are sure enjoying this thread. I have put a lot of work and effort into this to help YOU!! (who-ever-you-are!).

I know for a FACT: you will enjoy your visit to Alaska; You won't see any of our bracelets in any of the stores here in Anchorage.

We sell to very few stores only because they offer 40 - 60 or 80 bucks for a finished inset bracelet; then they re-sell them for 325-400!!

Outright stealing! No! we won't go that route. Very few stores will pay the price for art. Blue Goose; Alaska Mint - The Museum; but these bracelets are gone in a heart beat. They sell very quickly.

Now I want to show you something different. I didnt show you this in the beginning because you would never take the time to learn - how we do it.

What if I told you; that you can make a gorgeous finished bracelet from start to finish in less than an hour?? That bracelet will sell for 200!

It is much like teaching a person to drive a car. First teach the person how to drive a standard transmission; Then when they have to use a car with auto transmission - there is no problem what so ever for that person to drive and operate that vehicle. But if you teach them how to drive an auto transmission - THEN when they only have a standard transmission they dont know what to do or how to do it.

Now I will show you the easiest way to make a bracelet. Super simple!

Start to finish in less than an hour.

Slice the ivory into 1/4" slices. draw lines, drill - string it up!! & polish.

Total time: less than an hour.

I drew a picture in 3D Studio Max to illustrate to you what I am talking about.

Slice the ivory; and each slice is a finished piece!! (smooth edges).

These type of bracelets are very popular - the ivory is much larger (pieces) and is nicely worn and seen much easier than a very narrow bracelet !!

GO FOR IT - go make some eXtra Cash!! This is so simple any child can do it perfect the first time!!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Default Whoa - WOW -

What a day today was... (chuckle)... .. !

The boys (2) were up and out @ 10 ish this morning w/ two new bracelets;

They went everywhere; & STRUCK OUT big time.

Now it was 3 in the afternoon and they are tired. What to do ?? Khris asked. Mark laughed and said 5 T's. That's what dad always says:

Take The Time To Think.

Mark laughed again and said let's go over there - As soon as he walked into Alaska Mint: The owner said: I've been thinking about you boys; I need info on how to contact you; I have a job for you!!

He reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a small manilla folder (shirt pocket size). inside was a bracelet w/beads. I need this re-strung for a customer, I know you boys can do this easily, Mark smiled.

What is the name of your business ? Mark answered and he said immediatley; OH I know how to spell that. Mark said no offense sir. but this spelling is much different. He was blown away when he found out the boys names. THAT is the most creative name I have ever heard of he said.. and he went around to the store showing his employees our name and explaining it. He was all smiles as he said: I want to "partner' up with you boys. Have you got any bracelets ?? Mark & Khris each pulled out their bracelets for the day; PLAIN. (fossil).

SOLD! he said immediately; I want everything you boys can make he smiled.
NOTICE: you can see the knots that haven't yet been pulled deep into the enlarged hole(s) to hide them.

He looked at Khris and said; I just cannot believe someone so young as you are have such great skills. These are just so impressive! The quality is unsurpassed in anything I have ever seen; were his exact words.

Mark is signing his bracelet on one of the back pieces. Name & date.
Each bracelet is always signed by the artist.

I have spoken with a printer and it is going to cost $450 to have 1000 Certificates of Authenticity Printed up with number and hologram to prevent forgeries. To present with each bracelet certifying it carries a 100% no questions asked lifetime guarantee. We fix or replace for free.

Re-stringing very old bracelets was a business in itself in the villages; Some one always has bracelets that needed to be re-strung after many many years of use.

All in all we had an exceptional day - We also ran into a woman we know from Barrow @ UIC construction co. (Ukpeakvik Inupiaq Corp) based in Barrow. She saw the boys as she was leaving as we were arriving; She lit up ? There you are she smiled; I haven't seen you boys in a year. Do you have any bracelets ?? I want more she laughed. This woman has purchased more bracelets from us than any one else in Barrow.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 PM

This is an extremely functional shop for 2 people to work at during the day. Jesse cuts and shapes his pieces in here then goes to work in the other bedroom by himself.

NOTICE: the transparancy in the bracelet pieces - you can easily see the bracelet cord passing through the pieces. TOO MUCH HEAT when drilling. A dull drill bit will do that. It burns the ivory inside and scars it visibly.

NOTICE: how the knots are tied - in a hole in the back. You can see why we abandoned this method.

This is what we have a good supply of for now for fossil ivory; enough for a 1/2 dozen bracelets.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
Pretty colors. I like those pieces with the black flecks. Can't wait to see what they become.

If I ever get the time, I'm going to try carving some more things from deer antler. It's just been so busy- daily life. I still have to peek at this thread every day though!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Well SheridanPDC; I was hoping you would post the photos of a finished pair of ear-ings. That sample you showed me was great. Too bad the dog ate the other ear-ring. Quit using antler; use something less apealling to the dog, such as baleen or vegetable ivory !!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Well I have been kinda busy and so have the boys; so let me bring you up to date.

The Grand finale of Jesse's 40 piece heart bracelet.

NOTICE: the shaft on the tool. It has a sanding 'barrel' at the end. We have a shaft that comes with a dremel that has nothing on top except a 'screw'. I want to show you how to use that. (our way).

This is what we do: Take the top lid from 'butter' or oatmeal or many other products that have this plastic lid. Save those, they are very valuable. For this purpose. Take your circle template and draw a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" inch circle on that plastic lid and cut it out with scissors. Puncture and make a small hole in the center of that circle you cut out. This is the FIRST piece you place on that shaft.

NEXT: make the same size circle on a group of sheets of sandpaper.

IN other words 3-5 sheets of different grits with the roughest grit on top. cut those all out and place them on the shaft and tighten the screw. Now you can sand. As the sand paper wears out. merely rip the top layer off and you continue with a new layer to finish your work. The bottom layers have the finer grits for smoothing and polishing to some extent.

Today @ Alaska Fur Exchange- we couldn't purchase any ivory because Bill wasn't there to watch as the customer(s) pick through the many different bins that have assorted lumps and hunks of ivory. Whole tusks we are not interested in.
So; today we settled for a full piece of baleen - $125 bux. This is not as thick as I hoped it would be, but it will suffice, for now.

Now I can easily show you and explain how we divide up the baleen for our use.

On the right side; notice how it curves down. We use that 2 1/2 inches for the length of the entire piece to make whales tail ear-rings.

The left side is used for insets and ear-rings. The middle (thickest part) is mainly used for bracelet pieces & some ear-rings.

These are the 3 bracelets we went out with Friday morning. Plus Jesse's heart bracelet made the 4th.

All four were sold before noon!

NOTICE: How dark the bracelet on the left is compared with the heart bracelet in the middle. the bracelet on the left was soaked in baby oil to darken and provide the colors with additional contrast.

2 weeks in a row: we have acquired more than 3k per week. That is very low, from our norm.

21 bracelets per week is our norm. For seven years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska