Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

The multi-heart bracelet is amazing...I see earrings layered that way, or a single pendant...beautiful

Or the center of a single layer bracelet with no insets on the rest of the segments, put the attention on the centerpiece...love those plain without insets...

Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
The multi-heart bracelet is amazing.
Thank you very much Grannysroost; Yes! I agree; some people like them plain; w/ no insets and some want just one in the center.
We do a lot of 'custom' work for people;

It keeps the boys very busy; they are never bored; and they have learned a lot of real world skills. Plus - they love what they do!

It shows in their work.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Without any doubt; our #1 best all time selling bracelet (shape) is HEARTS!

Our slogan.. .. "The way to her heart - is to give her hearts - so she will think of you all day;"

Seems to be a very effective sales pitch. Marketing techniques - they don't teach you that in elementary or high school.

The owner of Alaska Mint said to Mark; It is very obvious you have had extensive experience in marketing and salesmanship. where did you learn? Mark laughed and said: On the streets and in the business' of Kotzebue; Point Hope & Barrow - every day for seven years. IT SHOWS, was the owners reply!

As fast as we make these; they are sold; that day.. .. or the next. There is a huge DEMAND for bracelets like these; and no one is making them! One person from Point Hope we know well, Nasarauq...Her stuff is here in Anchorage and she is not even taking the time to polish her new work.

Many thousands per week!! That is my claim and I will stick by that claim..YOU can make this happen so easily !!

Today I will post more images of some reverseable bracelets being made for tommorrow's sales. We have NO bracelets - NO ear-rings. We are all sold out.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 PM

That big piece of baleen was reduced really quick to these workable plates (for our purposes) Next step of course is to mark or draw the shapes.

cut them out and glue them to shaped pieces of ivory (fossil). These glued pieces should be 'rough' not smooth, on the sides being glued.

Marking the different shapes to be used to make these reverseable bracelets; Baleen on one side w/insets on every piece. The other side will be fossil (main) pieces w/insets also on every piece. Two bracelets in one; double dose; double price!

NOTICE: The sanding disc; over time, it gets clogged with ivory, some of it is easily 'cleaned' off. But how do you clean a clogged sanding disc over and over again to prolong its use ?

We came up with this 'clever' idea. While the disc is spinning, just jam the front edges of the brush all at once hard into the spinning disk. It cleans most of the ivory off and sands the ends of the brush @ the same time. We have never worn out a wisk-broom. They sure come in handy.

You can easily discern; this is a new brush, which hasn't been used much yet.

MERGING THE PIECES: Gluing the pieces together; then sanding them down to the required thickness. Drilling the pieces can become a problem here; since that hole is going 'between' the two pieces; they can become separated. But if the glued sides are 'rough' then this won't happen as easily if they were nice and smooth.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Okay...question...an I am not sure how to word this to be clear....you mentioned using the curved part of the baleen for "whale tail" which I assume is earrings and necklace focal pieces...can you some how show that in pictures?? I realize after so much time you do not need to draw lines or such but .....when you have the whole piece of bleen...is there a way you can show with lines how your boys cut the baleen for the various pieces??
do not know if this is clear if not ask...I'll try to ask it in a different wording..

Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM

I posted a picture of the whole piece cut up into sections (that are easily manageable).

When we make the whales tales I will post all of those images that go with the actual tail.

on any given piece of baleen; the edges are too thin.

about 2" in from each side is where we cut off. That hasn't been done yet in the photos above. We just mark out the template shapes in the middle portion. staying two inches from each side. (about two inches) we don't measure anything.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I posted a picture of the whole piece cut up into sections (that are easily manageable).

When we make the whales tales I will post all of those images that go with the actual tail.

on any given piece of baleen; the edges are too thin.

about 2" in from each side is where we cut off. That hasn't been done yet in the photos above. We just mark out the template shapes in the middle portion. staying two inches from each side. (about two inches) we don't measure anything.
does this change (the 2") from each piece of baleen or is this sort of the norm??

Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 AM

The right side of this piece of baleen has a horizontal line. that is the layer that has all the blood vessels. If you reach this layer, forget it, you can't get the 'scratch' marks off and produce a good shine.

Looking at this end section. A person can easily see where the baleen is thin. come in two inches from each side. Now remove 2" from each side. Its that simple.

If you have a sheet of paper in front of you; 8 1/2 x 11 (reduce it to 4 1/2 inches by 11 inches.

take two inches from each side. I hope that is easy to understand.

Merging the pieces and making the insets and placing them into the individual pieces. One side is almost finished. Now to put in the insets for the other side.

Baleen and fossil is always a great dramatic combination and contrast. NO matter what the color of the fossil ivory happens to be.

SIMPLE SHAPES: produce a truely stunning bracelet;

Torrorrow morning these three different bracelets should be finished;

Believe it or not - they are already sold. 3 x 6 = 18

Nice nice way to begin the week!!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Well these bracelets didn't at all come out the way I expected; Quite the opposite. One bracelet has absolutely no insets (groan) - the other has insets only on one side. There is no way they will get the amounts that I quoted yesterday - in other words - I put my foot right in my mouth!!

Only one of the three bracelets will be done as to what I requested. That will be Jesse's- It will be posted later today. Insets on each side. Two bracelets in one. That is what the plan originally was.

SANDING: Here you can easily see the different layers of sand paper stacked up. Just rip the top layer off (when needed ) to provide a new layer of new sand paper of a different finer grit.

This is only done to the outside bracelet edges; not the inside which must be left square and sharp- until the piece is angled at the precise degree.

POLISHING:

We are out of fabuluster and so was Alaska House of Hobby; They had Zam polish- a green hard compound with similar characteristics as fabuluster provides; except it is green instead of pure white.

KNOTS: Here is a great view to show how the holes are enlarged just enough to hide the knots we tie to string up the bracelets.

Now the knots will be pulled or pushed into those voids easily.

Spread the bracelet pieces and pull the knots inside, or push them using something small; here it appears that Khris is just going to pull them snug.

Here are the two finished bracelets which I am not one bit pleased with at all - lazy lazy lazy is written all over them in bright blinking lights!!

I am sure they will sell today - but at a fraction of the original price I quoted.

Two photos of each bracelet in its opposite state.

Marks bracelet is first.

Khris's febble attempt here; How come no insets Khris?? Oh the baleen was too thin Dad. Hey - I got photos here to prove your wrong!! Yes I have troubles at times with these boys - especially Khris (lately). He keeps living in the past and won't focus.

Tommorrow is another day; we will try again; for 3 more reversables with insets on each side

Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
I gotta disagree. Sometimes less is more. I really like reversible bracelet #1 with the baleen around the outside. I think it really accents the ivory in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska