Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times

Advertisements

why is this not breaking news when several of these quakes have shifted the earths axis??
The magnitude 8.8 earthquake that jolted Chile on Saturday was felt as far away as São Paulo. But NASA scientists are proposing that its repercussions are truly global in a geophysical sense: it likely shifted Earth's axis by about eight centimeters.

Observations: How the earthquake in Chile could change Earth's axis

Quake shifted Japan coast 2.4 metres, tilted Earth's axis

Mar 12, 2011, 11:57 GMT

Berlin/Washington - Japan's strongest earthquake on record that triggered a destructive tsunami appears to have moved the main island by 2.4 metres and shifted the Earth on its axis, scientists said Saturday.

Quake shifted Japan coast 2.4 metres, tilted Earth's axis - Monsters and Critics

Edit: the dates of the activity of all of these is what is setting it apart from the previous information....all within one week! that is not "normal"

Last edited by blueflames50; 03-12-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
the next step is to determine if a radiation cloud is coming westward from the explosion at the nuclear plant today...

Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
the next step is to determine if a radiation cloud is coming westward from the explosion at the nuclear plant today...
just came over news....11 nuke plants in Japan are without power....5 of them are rising in temp to unsafe levels...1 has had a building of some sort explode (they don't know which building of the plant) not the reactor part.
such a horrific event for Japan....and Hawaii got wacked pretty hard compared to us here in mainland US

Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'm not sure anyone knows the status of the reactor fuel which contains almost all the radioactivity in the plant.

Its an horrific event. An instant replay of 2004. There's only so much us mere mortals can do to prepare for something like this. What makes earthquakes so scary is we still can't predict when they're going to happen, which in turn allows very little time to run for your life.

Mother Earth seems to be shaking more than normal lately.

A few days before this big one, Japan had a seven something quake. Perhaps that'll now be viewed as a precursor to something much worse.

Last edited by Rance; 03-12-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: because leave Palin out of it

Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Edit: the dates of the activity of all of these is what is setting it apart from the previous information....all within one week! that is not "normal"
You're not even reading the original link you posted. In the archives section you can look up volcanic activity for the previous weekly reporting period. It is normal. There is nothing abnormal going on. There are reports of activity at volcanos all the time. Nothing new here.

Global Volcanism Program | Volcanic Activity Reports | SI / USGS Weekly Volcanic Activity Report | Weekly Reports Archive

Global Volcanism Program | Volcanic Activity Reports | SI / USGS Weekly Volcanic Activity Report |

Global Volcanism Program | Volcanic Activity Reports | SI / USGS Weekly Volcanic Activity Report |

Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
West Coast USA Danger IF Japan Nuclear Reactor Meltdown - Modern Survival Blog – surviving uncertain times

Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I just came across this on another board.
Quote:
Dear Mr. Rawles,
My phone rang sometime after 4 A.M. After rousing myself from bed I heard a message from the local sheriff recommending a voluntary evacuation due to incoming tsunami. I woke my wife. When I looked at the clock I discovered I had two minutes before the tsunami hit. Not enough time to get to higher ground. Thankfully, in southern Alaska the tsunami was tiny. However, it was a literal and figurative wake-up call. If it had been more serious my family and I could have been swept out to sea. I calculated that I had 7 minutes from the time I heard the message to the tsunami’s impact.
My family was lucky. I do not plan to rely on luck again. Every family member will soon have a b.o.b. near the door. We will practice evacuation. I plan to run several drills in the middle of the night. I was surprised how slowly I moved and how sluggish my thinking was at that time of day. I read survivalblog everyday, but I did not take concrete steps that are necessary to protect my family. I write this to hopefully remind others that it is not enough to know what to do in a disaster you must practice and have your gear readily accessible. You never know when the time will come for you to grab what is available and flee. Thanks, - T.A. in Southern Alaska
Scary to think how little time people had to prepare. Thankfully it wasn't a major event.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Where did you find this map?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
This map is a HOAX that has been going around the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska