Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times

Advertisements

ok . . . so quite a few people mention in their bits & spurts, "wait to go snow-shopping till you get up here"

- it's cheaper
- you don't... REALLY go way out to overdress, then get the surprise of your life when everyone else is walkin around in a sweatshirt & jeans

My question is on the selection. Have you any idea, how hard it is to go snow and winter clothing shopping, when it's the middle of July, the sun is blinding, and it's 102 degrees outside, in Washington DC???? You sweat when you move, your day consists of jumping from one airconditioner on full blast, to the next. lol.

The line for the pool most days stops me from getting through the neighborhood streets at a decent pace just to get home from work, the LAST thing on anyone's mind I'm sure, is stocking up on those bunny boots, and fleece lined jackets! yup yup! Even Ebay is being retarded!!

So please, coming from the powers that be, I don't want to freeze my hiney off when I get there in Sept. But the thickest thing I'll be coming armed with is a friggin sweater. Where do you go for your stuff? and how serious is the need for what you wear, when you wear it?

I see visions of the "eskimo children" and the song they sang while they got dressed to go to school, in sub zero temperatures, while living in the Arctic... anyone remember that one from Sesame Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Late Sept we could be getting frost over night. If it's raining it will be chilly. If the sun is out it could be 70 above easy. A hoodie with a light jacket should get you through any day. It's better to have too much, so you can remove layers...than not have enough and getting cold. Depending on your activities during the day I'd start there. As we roll into October it's gonna get colder so you'll need a heavier jacket by Halloween. This is for the southcentral area. Up north will be worse.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Rance is fairly correct for the September temps, I have seen it snow September 23rd and it seems that we always have snow on or before October 8th (my birthday) anyways you should be safe to arrive with only a sweater but I would make a made dash to Wal-Mart and get items a bit warmer the last thing you want to do is get caught in the cold, it's just not comfortable. If your a professional female you would be fine traveling back and forth to work in tennis shoes with dress shoes at the office. My assistant here at the office wears only a thick fleece sweater to work in the winter, I myself wear a warm jacket and keep a complete full set of snow gear in my vehicle for winter time travel even traveling in town.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Something like this: (I have 2 of these myself)

Red Ledge Voyager Jacket (For Men) - Save 50% (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,44916,,_.html?cm_mmc=PaidPlacement-_-Google-_-WGOGB7-_-Red_Ledge_Voyager_Jacket_-_For_Men - broken link)

With something like this worn under it:

Carhartt Sweatshirts: Cotton Blend Zip Sweatshirt K185HGY

Carhartt Sweatshirts: Cotton Blend Zip-Moc Sweatshirt K188BRN

Carhartt Sweatshirts: Zippered Hoodie Sweatshirt K185BRN

Carhartt Sweatshirts: Hooded Zip Front Sweatshirt K122HGY

And a pair of these to walk around outside in when it gets really cold:

Muck Boots Online - Hoser Classic

- just a couple of suggestions.....but you get the idea. Columbia and North Face sell pretty good jackets also.
By then you can shop and get decent gear at a decent price. Remember...layering is the secret....

Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 PM

144 posts, read 744,110 times
Where are you going in AK?

Selection I think will depend on location. In Fairbanks there are several stores and honestly some *stylish* items for arctic women (I know I saw someone making fun of coordinated outdodor gear in Alaska... but darnit... I am weak! How can I get boring carhartts when the rasberry fitted down coat is so COOL???? WITH matching SCARF????) Obviously Anchorage you are going to have all the options. I bought some great shoes in Valdez.

OK bring it on... anyone who has something to say about style being non-Alaskan and importing lower 48-mentality and values... yada yada... I accept all criticism. As I sit here in my lime fleece vest....

Old 07-20-2007, 02:29 PM

ahhh. to answer your question, it will be Anchorage, Sept 14th.

And I'm aquiring a rather nice selection of sweaters in the meantime.. for the layering.. yes.

The best reccomendation I've heard yet, is to show up, stark naked, save for the halibut belly, xtra tufts & farmers tan.

Although that's going to be somewhat difficult to manage in a month or so's time... here's hoping I don't get thrown out of the airport

Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Look, I'm just making a couple of suggestions as far as items. Brands are up to them. And yes, we have very "trendy" colors in the stores here.

It's much better to show up in a wind-proof/yet breathable light insulated outer shell with a zip up poly/cotton/fleece sweat underneath (wool is great, but it is expensive and velcro is hell on it) than just a thick coat. That Red Ledge jacket I mentioned is insulated also. This would probably work anywhere in early fall for someone till they can find the stores and get what they need.

It's easy to dress for the weather, you just gotta learn how.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks DannyL for the quick recommendations

Old 07-20-2007, 04:04 PM

144 posts, read 744,110 times
DannyL - I'm laughing because I think you posted that while I was writing mine... I didn't read it beforehand... I was just talking in generalities

And yes the items you suggested are perfect!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Oh, and I mentioned the Muck boots because they are the BOMB...I have a pair myself.
They go for 65.00 on the internet, 96.00 here....when you can get them.
They're waterproof, breatheable, warm, light as hell, AND THEY HAVE ARCHES!!!!! My feet thank me everyday in the winter.
Hint....they fit exact. A 9 is a 9. To wear thick socks, get one size larger.
Happy shopping.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska