Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 51,101 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at making a trip up your way and would be doing a bunch of shopping. I'd like to schedule the trip to be after Walmart opens- does anyone know what the opening date is going to be?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,662,151 times
Is Juneau building a Walmart? Anyone?

Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 41,540 times
Yea, Juneau's getting a WalMart. The exterior is coming along quickly, and from what I've heard, the interior should be near finished. They painted lines in the parking loot two weeks ago (and promptly ripped up the front of the lot form some reason or another).

Last opening "date" I heard was end of summer...

Old 07-25-2007, 02:56 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,340,639 times
A tentative grand opening is apparently set for September 12, of this year.
A good source for information would be Juneau Blogger

"Juneau features threeshopping centers (including two “Malls”), a downtown Juneau shopping district, acommercial center featuring a Costco and a Home Depot, and several stand-alone retailstores, including Fred Meyers, and a new WalMart. Although local businesses provide awide variety of goods and services to Juneau residents, visitors and businesses, there stillexists some retail sales “leakage”; the purchase of many goods via the internet, by mail, and in Seattle due to a greater variety and, perhaps, lower prices."

It is angering many of the residents there, judging from what I can see on the websites it pulled up.

OP - do you not have Wal-Marts where you live now? Or is it the whole tax thing, that has you going that far to do your "ton of shopping" ?

Old 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks nhatfield (& others)

fiddlekitten, The smaller SE communities don't have the larger stores like Walmart... we don't have McDonalds either They only build in the more populated areas. Those in smaller communities tend to go to Juneau for our winter shopping, school clothes shopping, bulk groceries etc. Fred Meyer, Costco and the like. We use to hit K-Mart but they are gone & Walmart is going into their old building.

And no, the "tax thing" has nothing to do with bulk shopping there- Juneau stopped offering the tax breaks for "out of towners" several years ago. When you are very limited on stores, it's nice to take the family for a little vacation- & fill the car as you go! (I bought my last car there as a matter of fact)

Thanks again!

Old 07-25-2007, 03:15 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,340,639 times
Lol. I know how you feel.. that's exactly what my family and I did, when we lived over seas. When we packed for vacation, we packed collapsable folded up suitcases inside our real ones... because we hit the stores while we were in the states.

I wasn't sure what area you were coming from, so please forgive the nail-biting edge to the post - I just finished reading up on another website about how some young thing was all into "high tailing it up to AK, for the tax break & the only question she had on her mind was how soon the PDF would kick in, etc..."

It's hard to get a clear cut report on the new Wal Mart - because.. I don't know if you've ever googled anything with the worlds walmart in them before - but let me assure you, the first FOUR PAGES are nothing but job search finders advertising that Juneau is currently employing ~ lol.

Best of luck to ya. Like I said, seems to be Sept 12th. give or take a few front parking lots

Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Yeah, I've Googled this a LOT in the past month and could never find a real answer but sure found a lot of other stuff- most recently it's been the job "opportunities".

I use to pack the extra luggage... now I take the back seat out of my car and load it up... we looked like the Beverly Hillbilly's coming back one year LOL We even had TIRES tied to the luggage rack Last time I was over there I just had Costco put them on the wheels before I left

I KWYM on the PFD thing- I know a family that brought 5 kids up here- they have lived on a lot of the state subsidies while here and if you talk to them- the PFD was a major reason for coming.

I know there is a lot of controversy over the new Walmart- there seems to be good and not-so-good with the opening of the store in Juneau but well, I plan to take advantage of the new shopping opportunities

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska