Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM

58 posts, read 128,064 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I am currently looking for an education job in speech therapy and am applying to Kenai, Matsu, and Fairbanks school districts. I'm sure I'll love wherever I end up since that's my personality, but my concern is for my 13 year old son. I want to make sure we find ourselves somewhere that is at least as friendly as average to a new kid and doesn't have big problems with drugs and alcohol (though really, I guess drugs are everywhere now.) It would also be nice if there were a few "extras" for him. For example, he currently takes karate and I would like for him to be able to continue with that, or if that's not possible it would be nice if there were other non-sports after school activities available either at school or privately (woodworking, other martial arts, rifle range target shooting, whatever--just something to keep him busy since he's not an athlete).

Do any of these towns stand out as better than the others for my situation? I was originally thinking somewhere on the Kenai Peninsula, but broadened it out to Matsu and Fairbanks. What is the scoop on Palmer? Online at least, it seems like it would be a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,856,435 times
I would think that it would be diffcult to find someplace that wouldn't have alternatives for young people in all of the communities you mentioned.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM

2,519 posts, read 6,995,546 times
As Freezen said. You will find what you want at any of the mentioned locations. But you will also find what you fear at all the locations as well.

Stay involved in your child's life, keep up the communication to help him steer clear of the snags.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks Marty and freezengirl. It's so hard to envision what it's like up in Alaska. I've wanted to move there for years but I've been so poor I couldn't even get up for a visit (single parent, 7 years in college for this darn degree that took most people only 6). Now I want to find a good place and stay there since I won't want to move my son once he gets started in high school.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM

26,496 posts, read 36,354,455 times
My first choice in your situation would be Palmer; the second Homer, the third would be Fairbanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 PM

16 posts, read 24,045 times
Default Places to live in AK

Not Fairbanks. Anywhere but there. Bad air quality, too harsh in summer/winter. It's milder on the peninsula and so beautiful. Why not Anchorage? We have great schools and lots of activities, I have one starting HS in the fall, we are excited there are so many opportunities. Peninsula schools are really good too. I would say #1 peninsula #2 valley #3 Fairbanks but sneak Anchorage into the #1 spot too.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,858,192 times
From the perspective of a life-long Alaskan:
Although Anchorage has its good points, it also has very high property taxes, and has way too much bad influence from gangs and other riff-raff for a kid to be raised around, (IMO). Don't see so much of that in the smaller towns. Fairbanks is just way too cold in the winter. Palmer is cold and VERY windy in the winter, but nice in the summer and fall.
Seward is also windy in the winter, and although the summers are sometimes nice it rains an awful lot here, especially in the fall. (too much!)
I would be seriously looking at Homer, Soldotna, or Kenai. My $.02 worth

Bud
Seward, Ak

Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 AM

Thanks for all the perspectives! I guess wherever I go there will be pluses and minuses.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,933,551 times
Come to Bethel...

Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Well, it looks like the Matsu area. I interviewed there last week and they called to let me know they were offering me a contract, which should show up next week. (yay!) I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to promise a location. Would it be ridiculous to live in Palmer and drive to Wasilla to work if it turned out there were no Palmer openings? It doesn't seem that far, but maybe with winter driving it could be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska