Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 15,617 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, I'm a hair stylist,and my husband is a airplane mechanic. Would we fit in Ketchikan? I would like to open my own hair salon, is there a need for that in Ket.? Any insight you have on this matter would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 31,168 times
Well, from what I've read about Ketchikan, it's a very small city. If I recall correctly, it's also the rainiest city in North America, so moving from Arizona may be a bit of a culture shock. I'm sure your husband could find work with airplanes, but that can be said about just anywhere in Alaska. I'm not too sure about the hair salon, though.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:32 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,499,095 times
Default one way to find out

One way to find out for sure, go visit. If your husband can find a position advertised with a company that is serious about wanting a good A&P mechanic for permanent year round work, there's a good chance he can talk them into a site visit/interview so you can see for yourselves if it looks like a place you could live. Keep in mind that it might be cheaper and easier to take the ferry from WA state than it is to fly, if not exactly faster.

Your chances of finding out the situation about hair salons are virtually nil unless by some slim chance there happens to be a Ketchikan resident on this forum who also happens to be in that business. However, if you're there yourself, just go get a haircut and you can't help but find out!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,016,964 times
I don't remember if there were alot of hair stylist there or not, I left in 2004. As far as the town goes, it's a neat town, but it does rain alot. I think they get about 14 feet a year, 2 feet in Oct alone. The only way in and out is by plane or boat and the biggest store is Walmart.

I was there 2 years with the Coast Guard, I had fun, but it could get claustrophobic.

Good luck, the fishing is great and it's beautiful. Remember the bridge to nowhere that was on the news? That the proposed bridge in Ketchikan that created all the fuss.

Tony

Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,950,997 times
I'm not a resident of Ketchikan anymore (seriously, I moved because the climate did dreadful things to my hair) but I'm familiar with it and let me tell ya I'm familiar with stylists because I'm always trying to find one who can do something about this mess. Best one is on POW; gotta stop in there soon and get her to fix it again.

Anyway...I'd say that just opening a salon cold would....well, I think you'd be better off working for a salon and developing a following before you did that. And that probably wouldn't be so hard to do if you're good. Remember that you'll be dealing with a lot of different environmental factors that pretty strongly affect the hairstyle choices that people make here.

It's very damp and is windy at times so styles that require very much product or upkeep aren't very popular there. Most women in SE want something that isn't going to look totally trashed the minute they walk out the door, and we wear a lot of hats when we go outside.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:38 PM

6 posts, read 15,617 times
Thanks for all your advice, we are planning a trip there. I was thinking of going in the winter time. What do you guys think?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,950,051 times
Anytime is a good time to be in Alaska. I actually prefer winter to summer. Go for it. It's as bad as it will get weatherwise. If you like it in winter...your gonna love it in the summer.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 23,904 times
Thumbs down Nothing to do in Ketchican......

I recently had the chance to visit/work in this small town.Anyone considering wanting to move here, should consider Juneau, or Anchorage to live or stay in the states.
But remember, everything is very expensive, due to having to shipping costs.
Food prices are double compared to the states, gas...3.45 a gallon.
Housing costs are outrageous.
And to top it all off, this is an Island. No where to go and nothing to do for a nightlife or culture events.The only movie theatre, plays movies, at selected times.Restuarants are below average and pricey.
This is a fishing, hunting town and full of tourist, during the summer and it ends in september, with the last cruise ship. As for he winter, cold, rainy and windy. No sun, due to rain all the time. If the sun comes out, take advantage of it.
I noticing the youth, of this town , they have no where to go or do. Drug and alcohol abuse is out of control. No bowling ally or anything.

If you want to get of the rock, as they call it. Will cost you 700- 800 for ticket to Seattle. Or a fairy ride to really no where, Prince Rupert or the other islands, still nothing to do.

So stay in the states and just visit on one of the cruise ships..

Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM

273 posts, read 590,309 times
Default Ketchikan Resident

I live here. The guy that just posted is right---not alot to do unless you like to hunt & fish, and thank goodness I do. It is an awesome place for both. We have lots and lots of bars, and many, many drunks. The high school doesn't really seem to care about kids, especially if they come in from another state. They don't answer the phone---have a recording----and have an open campus and don't care at all if the kids leave. There is an awesome "alternative school"--which is completely opposite of the regular high school as far as caring, attentive staff...but they are woefully overcrowded and underfunded. So I definitely wouldn't suggest moving here if you have teenagers. Housing prices are insane for what you get. My sister in law moved here to be near us and could not believe the apartment prices. Our heating oil is prohibitively expensive, as is our gas...right now it's abt 3.45 a gallon for regular unleaded. Okay for cars--don't drive nearly as much as those down south---but hell on marine fuel. Groceries can be high, but we have three good grocery stores that often have sales.
I would definitely suggest good research if you want to move here.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,599 times
Hello, I live in Sitka, Alaska. Not far from Ketchikan. I have been a stylist and barber here for 20 years. I love it here. I lived in Ketchikan first for about 6 months in 1990, than came here to Sitka. I like it better. It is absolutely beautiful and a very friendly city. Island life is different, but adaptable, and rewarding. Harris Air is a great company to look into for an airplane mechanic position. I have a salon and I am looking at selling for a very reasonable price. I would also consider selling just my equipment, which is in great condition. Collins color bar, Barber chairs, Takara Belmont sink -- awesome bowl, a couple of stylist chairs, dryer chair, beautiful cherrywood framed 3'1/2" x 5' mirrors, lots of good equipment and supplies.This is my first time on here, and I am not sure how this works as far as getting a reply from you. I saw your message on google. My salon is listed under Heidi's Barbering and Salon in Sitka,Ak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska