Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 PM

38 posts, read 79,084 times

Advertisements

I love rain, but I'm mainly worried about dealing with the lack of daylight further north. I've never been a sun worshiper, but the Sun is always up by 7am down here in SoCal. What do you all think about "long" cloudy days in the Southeast versus very short sunny days elsewhere? I love the colors when the Sun is low in the sky, and 12 hours of dawn/dusk with the Sun always under the horizon wouldn't bother me, but black skies and artificial light is a total drag. I've read about light boxes for fighting SAD, and as an architect I'd be driven to do fun things with artificial light, like at the Ice Hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
We got to drive through a heck of an ice storm in late November last year when it rained half an inch (in below-freezing temps) in Fairbanks.
Lordy, that was awful. That crud stuck to the roads the entire winter, too.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf80412 View Post
I love rain, but I'm mainly worried about dealing with the lack of daylight further north. I've never been a sun worshiper, but the Sun is always up by 7am down here in SoCal. What do you all think about "long" cloudy days in the Southeast versus very short sunny days elsewhere? I love the colors when the Sun is low in the sky, and 12 hours of dawn/dusk with the Sun always under the horizon wouldn't bother me, but black skies and artificial light is a total drag. I've read about light boxes for fighting SAD, and as an architect I'd be driven to do fun things with artificial light, like at the Ice Hotel.
The gloom in SE gets to me; I'd rather have less daylight of better quality than what can be months of gloom here.

Never tried the artificial light boxes, never will, though I understand they work well for some people. I just leave in the winter and that's what works for me.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
See, I've never understood SAD, but then again I haven't lived in the PNW. Still, I've lived in places where we've gone for easily a month straight without seeing the sun, below freezing temps, snow everywhere. I much much much prefer that to bright, sunny days, at least here. I imagine in Alaska the sunny days would be much more welcome since they aren't accompanied by crippling heat, though. Actually, sunny with snow on the ground is my favorite kind of weather probably, other than actively snowing.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 PM

I don't know if I'm SAD prone, and that's part of my worry. It's just my assumption that I'd prefer quantity to quality, based on observing how hard it is for me to work when it's dark out.

Metlakatla: Is having the time and the money to leave during the winter common in Alaska, or is it something you really have to want and work for?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'm SAD prone, and that's part of my worry. It's just my assumption that I'd prefer quantity to quality, based on observing how hard it is for me to work when it's dark out.

Metlakatla: Is having the time and the money to leave during the winter common in Alaska, or is it something you really have to want and work for?
I don't think it's common among the general populace...what seems to be more common is nice long vacations to somewhere warm around Jan/Feb. But then some people love the winters so much they wouldn't want to be anywhere else, and take whatever vacations they take during a different time of the year.

If it's something that someone really wants, then they need to be involved in a seasonal business...but I do have to say that it was never a major goal of mine things just evolved that way.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If it's something that someone really wants, then they need to be involved in a seasonal business.
I was under the impression that most business in Alaska is seasonal, and that people just need to work during the winter as well as the summer in order to pay the bills.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM

A lot of seasonal employees go elsewhere to work in the winter; resorts and so on, and some of them are locals who work seasonally and then live off unemployment, winter work, savings, etc. Quite a few of them are college students. There are a lot of retired people who work seasonally here as well.

I really don't know what percentage of the work here is seasonal as opposed to year round, though I suppose that information could be found on one of the State pages.

By "involved in a seasonal business" I meant on more than just the level of a general employee.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
The day and night sun actually gets to me more than the winter darkness does. It's kind of mania-inducing.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The day and night sun actually gets to me more than the winter darkness does. It's kind of mania-inducing.
I've heard about that too. A little mania would do me a lot of good though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska