Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM

65 posts, read 206,031 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on driving up this summer with most of our belongings. I am leaving my rifles down here because they are better for deer than moose and bear, but I do want to bring my 9mm. I've heard Canada will not let you in with a gun. Are there any exceptions? Is there paperwork I can fill out to get permission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:01 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjojo View Post
My wife and I are planning on driving up this summer with most of our belongings. I am leaving my rifles down here because they are better for deer than moose and bear, but I do want to bring my 9mm. I've heard Canada will not let you in with a gun. Are there any exceptions? Is there paperwork I can fill out to get permission?
if you are an active police officer, CIA, or Federal Agent etc...you can get paperwork to fill out for approval....other than that NO...they will confiscated your handgun and can press charges against you..
A Practical Guide to Canada's Gun Laws for Americans (http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/ - broken link)

mail it to yourself in AK....you can do a C/O to your name an someone else's address...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
if you are an active police officer, CIA, or Federal Agent etc...you can get paperwork to fill out for approval....other than that NO...they will confiscated your handgun and can press charges against you..
A Practical Guide to Canada's Gun Laws for Americans (http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/ - broken link)

mail it to yourself in AK....you can do a C/O to your name an someone else's address...
You have just given the most ignorant advice of anyone that has every posted anything on this forum.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjojo View Post

There are no practical exceptions. If you get caught with it you will face mandatory jail time in Canada. You only have two options. Ship it to yourself as airfreight on Alaska Airlines or take it to an FFL dealer in your state of residence and have them ship it to an FFL in Alaska.

Don't even think of trying to send a handgun to yourself through the US Postal Service. Long guns, as in rifle and shotguns are okay. Handguns aren't.

Port Angeles man arrested in Victoria over guns made “innocent mistake,” wife says; boat aground in Alaska -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS

Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You have just given the most ignorant advice of anyone that has every posted anything on this forum.
Excuse me Mr Rude Sarcastic....there is a police officer on this forum who has filled out the paperwork and can cross with his handgun...Federal Marshals and certain others can cross with the proper paperwork, make a phone call is all it takes to confirm this! I do know of people who have shipped their handguns to themselves!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
For the average American, you cannot bring a handgun into Canada. If you declare it at the border, it will be confiscated. If you say no and they find one, you will be arrested. Don't risk sneaking it in. You won't get robbed driving the Alcan, relax .

Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Excuse me Mr Rude Sarcastic....there is a police officer on this forum who has filled out the paperwork and can cross with his handgun...Federal Marshals and certain others can cross with the proper paperwork, make a phone call is all it takes to confirm this! I do know of people who have shipped their handguns to themselves!

Your lying, again.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

There are three classes of firearms in Canada:
  • Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route.
  • Restricted: (longer-barreled handguns, some types of long guns) These are allowed for certain purposes, such as target shooting at an approved club or range, but they are not allowed for hunting or self protection.
  • Prohibited: (shorter-barreled handguns, automatic weapons) These cannot be brought into Canada.
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:
  1. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
  2. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Last edited by stiffnecked; 05-17-2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Stiff, that article doesn't have anything to do with sending guns to yourself through the mail. That was about a guy who got into trouble crossing through Canadian waters with guns aboard his ship. She was talking about mailing them. I just don't see the relevance of that article.

One of the comments on there was interesting though. Posted by "Freshwater" on the comments section:
Quote:
Obviously he forgot about these guns, as Canadian law does allow transport of weapons across the border if properly declared and disassembled (as we did when hunting moose in BC)
Now I don't know much about this, but what I do know is that there seems to be quite a wide variety of differing opinions about Canadian policy regarding bringing guns across the border. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that that person was hunting IN Canada, not passing through?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Now I don't know much about this, but what I do know is that there seems to be quite a wide variety of differing opinions about Canadian policy regarding bringing guns across the border. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that that person was hunting IN Canada, not passing through?
Just read, don't comment or you're gonna look like a fool. There is no wide variety of differing opinions. Canada spells them out perfectly well.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm

Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 PM

[quote=stiffnecked;19194332]Your lying, again.

Lying??? hahahaha I did copy most all of this as proof so look for the highlight area!
[RIGHT][SIZE=+7]Canada [/SIZE][SIZE=+3]North America[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/blackcorner.gif (broken link) http://www.traveldocs.com/images/Logo1.gif (broken link)
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/LongBanDrop.gif (broken link)

http://www.traveldocs.com/images/NALeftBarBK.gif (broken link)
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/EurLeftBarBK.gif (broken link)
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/SALeftBarBK.gif (broken link)
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/AsiaLeftBarBK.gif (broken link)
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/AfrLeftBarBK.gif (broken link)
http://www.traveldocs.com/images/AusLeftBarBK.gif (broken link)

[CENTER]
CUSTOMS & DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES AND RESTRICTIONS [LEFT][SIZE=2]Non-residents entering Canada:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Tobacco*...200 cigarettes and 50 cigars and 200g of loose tobacco
    Liquor*...1.14L of spirits, 1.5L of wine,or 24 bottles or cans of beer.(8.5L)
    *Applies only to passsengers over 18 yrs of age
    Perfume....Reasonable amount
    Cameras....No restrictions
    Film.......Reasonable amount
    Gifts......$60 Cad max per gift -excludes tobacco/liquor
    Agricultural items/currency...Refer psgr to consulate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Residents returning to Canada: [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]After 24 hr absence...C$50
    --No Tobacco and Liquor [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
  • [LEFT] [SIZE=2]After 48 hr absence...C$400
    Tobacco...200 Cigarettes and 50 Cigars and 200g of loose Tobacco.
    Liquor....1.14L of spirits, 1.5L of wine,or 24 bottles or cans of beer.(8.5L)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]After 7 days absence...C$750
    Tobacco...200 Cigarettes and 50 Cigars and 200g of Tobacco
    Liquor....1.14 litres of liquor or 1.5 litres of wine.[/SIZE]
    [/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]Former residents entering Canada:
1 year absence any articles owned for at least 6 months before return to Canada [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[SIZE=2]Prohibited items:
The importation of firearms, explosives, endangered species or animals and plants, animal products, meat, food and plant material is subject to certain restrictions and formalities. The importation of fresh fruit is prohibited. Dogs and domestic cats may be imported from certain rabies-free countries (including the united kingdom and the republic of ireland) subject to certain restrictions and formalities (but note that rabies is present in Canada and pets will generally face quarantine on returning home).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Bringing Goods into Canada for Personal Use [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Most things that you bring into Canada for your personal use during your visit will be considered "personal baggage" by Canada Customs. Some examples of personal baggage are food, fishing tackle, cars, boats and motors, snowmobiles, fuel, sports equipment, television sets, musical instruments, computers and cameras. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] You are not allowed to carry a weapon, such as a firearm or mace or any other spray to be used against humans, for self-defence in Canada. There is more information about the restrictions on importing firearms to Canada below. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Canada Customs' chief concern is to establish that you really are bringing the goods in for your personal use. If you are going to be carrying large amounts of consumable products, such as food or fuel, please contact a Canada Customs office before you begin your trip to determine what special measures you should take. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] You may also bring bona fide gifts worth up to Canadian $60 each for your friends in Canada without paying duty, provided these do not consist of tobacco or alcoholic beverages. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Information about Canada Customs & Revenue Agency, including excise and GST, is of a general nature only and is not intended to constitute advice for any specific situation. For particular questions, the reader is invited to contact Canada Customs [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[SIZE=2]Restrictions on items for Personal Use[/SIZE]

[LEFT] [SIZE=2]Alcohol [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Those meeting the age requirements of the province or territory of entry (19 in most provinces; 18 in Alberta, Manitoba, and Québec) may bring into the country either:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]1 liters (40 ounces) of liquor or wine; or [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]24 containers, at 355 milliliters (12 ounces) each, or their equivalent, of beer or ale Any alcohol in excess of these amounts will be subject to duty, provincial fees and taxes, except where it is illegal to bring in more alcohol than specified above. [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [SIZE=2]Tobacco [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Visitors meeting the age requirements of the province or territory of entry are allowed to bring the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]up to 200 cigarettes, [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]50 cigars, [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]200 grams (7 ounces) of loose tobacco [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]and 200 tobacco sticks. [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=2] Any additional quantities are subject to duties and provincial fees and taxes. Some provinces may also limit the total amount of tobacco that can be brought into their jurisdiction. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Drugs for Medical Use [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Prescription drugs should be clearly identified and should be carried in the original packaging with a label that specifies both what they are and that they are being used under prescription. It is also a good idea to bring a copy of your prescription and a contact number for your doctor. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Diabetics and others who have to bring syringes with them should also carry some evidence of their need for using these. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Bringing Firearms into Canada [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Canada has strict laws governing the cross-border movement, possession and use of firearms. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] All goods, including firearms, must be declared to Canada Customs & Revenue Agency customs at the first point of entry. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] A visitor may import a non-restricted firearm, such as a sporting rifle or shotgun, only for the following purposes:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]sporting or hunting use while in Canada [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]bonafide competition use; [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]transport though Canada to another country; [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada (excluding national parks) if the customs officer is satisfied that the circumstances warrant the firearm's importation. [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=2] No special documentation is currently required to import non-restricted firearms. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Handguns are classed as restricted firearms and may be imported only for use at approved shooting competitions. A Permit to Carry, which may be obtained from Canadian police agency, is required. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Requests for a Permit to Transport restricted firearms (e.g. most handguns) through Canada to other parts of the U.S., including Alaska, or another country are normally denied. Visitors should discuss their options with Canada Customs & Revenue Agency customs officials before leaving for Canada. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Certain handguns and all automatic weapons are classed as prohibited firearms and are banned from entering Canada. Severe penalities and confiscation apply to the possession of illegal firearms in Canada. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Before importing a firearm, you should check with a firearms officer for the Canadian province or territory you intend to enter. For more information and the addresses of these officials, see the brochure Importing a Firearm or Weapon into Canada, or Memorandum D19-13-2, Importation of Offensive Weapons. You may get both of these publications at any Canada Customs & Revenue Agency customs office. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] The Government of Canada is actively reviewing possible changes to the rules for the importation of firearms. Prior to any visit, be sure to ask either customs or a provincial firearms officer as to whether new requirements have been put into place. [/SIZE] [/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska