Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Very informative about the different types of salmon and canned salmon.

I usually use the red..but wondered when making salmon loaf (with bread crumbs, egg, onion, mustard almost like a meatloaf but canned salmon), could I easily substitute pink canned for the red without sacrificing much in quality?
Try it and see....the flavor might be a little milder but recipes like this are what pinks seem to do best in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Default White Kings..questions

Several years ago I caught (8) Kings while fishing out of Sitka in mid-June.
They ranged in weight from 28 to 38 pounds..the heavier ones were the "white ones"

2 of the 8 were white flesh:

.....1/ What causes the flesh to be white?

......2/ Am I correct that it appeared to be slighty more mild.

.....3/ As I remember when I priced fresh King Salmon fillets in local
retail establishments....the 'white" was about 2 dollars per pound more
than the 'red" flesh........is it of a higher quality level?

Another related question: I caught one Ling Cod (44 pounds)....it was IMO better tasting overall than the Halibut we caught.......is that a correct assessment when comparing it to halibut? The flesh even looked to be slightly "more true white it color, than a comparable fillet of Halibut. Any comments please........I'm hoping I can get up there again this June.......is the limit still 2 Kings/per/day?? Thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 AM

The red color in salmon is caused by their diet; white kings genetically don't metabolize something called astaxanthin that is in the pigment of the crustaceans that they eat.

For whatever reason the whites seem to have a more delicate and buttery flavor. Some marketers will tell you that whites have more omega 3s, and most locals will tell you that they have more oil, the state labs say that the chemical composition of the two is identical. Personally I think the white Kings do taste better.

Halibut vs. Ling Cod is a matter of personal preference.

If you're going back to the Sitka area to fish, I think the King limits for non residents are 2 per day through the month of May, and then 1 per day, and there's an annual limit of 5. You should check with Fish and Wildlife though because this is just off the top of my head.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-21-2011 at 01:03 AM..

Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Here's an explanation about whites:

White king Salmon, Sometimes Referred to as Ivory Kings, Fast Becoming the New, Gotta-have Salmon Dish in East Coast Restaurants / June 2005

Some think they are more mild. According to the link, there's no difference.

Probably priced higher because they're rarer. Higher cost is more of a marketing ploy.

Ling Cod are good. It's mostly a preference as to which one you think tastes better. IMO, I like Halibut better and cods are more fishy tasting.

I believe the limit is more restrictive for non-residents. You may be limited to 1 King per day and 4-5 total. There are areas that are less restrictive at times, mainly because of return of hatchery Kings. Check the F&G website for the latest, but it's not that easy to find what you'll need there.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 AM

Here it is for SE but I have no clue about the rest of the state (and like akck said, some areas are less restrictive for short time periods but I have no idea on specifics of that)

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
Cora Campbell, Commissioner

DIVISION OF SPORT FISH
Charles O. Swanton, Director
Bob Chadwick
Regional Management Coordinator
Phone: 907-747-5551
March 31, 2011
SOUTHEAST ALASKA KING SALMON SPORT FISHING REGULATIONS FOR 2011
Juneau- The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is announcing the 2011 sport fishing regulations for king salmon in Southeast Alaska and Yakutat which will be effective 12:01 A.M. April 1, 2011 through 11:59 P.M. Monday, April 30, 2012. The regulations are:

* Alaskan Resident
o The resident bag and possession limit is three king salmon 28 inches or greater in length.
* Nonresident
o The nonresident bag and possession limit is one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length; except during May 2011 when the bag and possession limit is two king salmon 28 inches or greater in length;
o The nonresident annual limit is five king salmon 28 inches or greater in length.
* From October 1, 2011 through March 31, 2012; all sport anglers may use two rods when fishing for king salmon.

The Southeast Alaska king salmon sport fishery is managed under the directives of the Southeast Alaska King Salmon Management Plan (5 AAC 47.055). This plan prescribes management measures implemented by the department for the king salmon sport fishery based upon the preseason abundance index determined by the Chinook Technical Committee of the Pacific Salmon Commission. The preseason abundance index for the 2011 season is 1.69 which equates to 54,515 king salmon allocated to the sport fishery. The Southeast Alaska King Salmon Management Plan prescribes that the regulations listed above be implemented when the king salmon abundance index is 1.51 to 1.75.
For further information regarding sport fisheries in Southeast Alaska, contact the nearest ADF&G office or visit: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...shingInfo.eonr (broken link)

I know I've got some white King in now; will post a photograph of it tomorrow or the next day.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-21-2011 at 01:42 AM..

Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
wow! learn something new everyday! White Salmon. Never heard of it or seen it.
Interesting.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 AM

455 posts, read 743,871 times
Two years ago was a record Humpy run and I caught a ton of them. Grilled: they are terrible. Mushy flesh, a very stale aftertaste. However... they smoke up nicely and I've grown kinda fond of this "bottom-rung" salmon species.

Chum, (aka "keta") on the other hand, are truly unpalatable. We call them "dogs" not because they look like our furry friends but because they are a traditional meal and suitable only for your dogs.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
Two years ago was a record Humpy run and I caught a ton of them. Grilled: they are terrible. Mushy flesh, a very stale aftertaste. However... they smoke up nicely and I've grown kinda fond of this "bottom-rung" salmon species.

Chum, (aka "keta") on the other hand, are truly unpalatable. We call them "dogs" not because they look like our furry friends but because they are a traditional meal and suitable only for your dogs.
What river did you catch them in?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 AM

455 posts, read 743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What river did you catch them in?
The Snohomish (in WA) and the lower Kenai.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Thank you all for the info on the White Kings and other related info.................

As a Side Note regarding Salmon and dog food...........................

I have a 5 year old Brittany that had a constant "dry skin condition" and excessive shedding. My Vet had some blood tests run and it turned out the dog was allergic to: corn, wheat, peas and lamb (these four ingredients are pretty common in many dog food brands of dry kibble) including the one I was feeding.

Over a 10 day period, I switched him over to a brand that is composed of ground up CHUM (aka dog salmon) Salmon and Sweet Potatoes (these two comprise about 90% of the ingredients)....the remaining 10% contains: Canola Oil, Salmon Oil, Potatoe Fiber, Flaxseed and other "health additives"---no grains. (the resulting kibble is: about 21% protein and 10% Fat & 3 % Fiber)

All his skin & coat problems are gone.....he loves the taste, never been healthier and 30 pounds lasts me 35 days.....equates out to about $1.25/day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska