Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is there any difference in taste/quality between the popular brands of canned pink and red salmon?
If you mean "pink" (being Pinks or aka Humpies) and "red" being (Sockeye).........Yes, IMO, a significant difference.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is there any difference in taste/quality between the popular brands of canned pink and red salmon?
Yes.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Pinks are the lowlife pond scum of the species. Although if caught fresh from saltwater they might be better eating I don't know.
By the time they reach my community up the Kenai River the males have a huge hump back and gnarly jaws and look as gross as they taste!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Pinks are the lowlife pond scum of the species. Although if caught fresh from saltwater they might be better eating I don't know.
By the time they reach my community up the Kenai River the males have a huge hump back and gnarly jaws and look as gross as they taste!
They are. Ocean caught pinks are really nothing to sneeze at, although they're rarely seen in the American market. Most ocean-caught humpy catch goes straight to Asia.

Biologically, humpies are actually the closest to King salmon than any of the other salmon types. A fresh, ocean-caught pink tastes more like King than a coho does, but most people in Alaska never get to try them.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ocean caught pinks are really nothing to sneeze at, although they're rarely seen in the American market. Most ocean-caught humpy catch goes straight to Asia.
I hate to ask, but what's in those cans of pink salmon you see on grocery shelves here in the lesser/lower 48?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I hate to ask, but what's in those cans of pink salmon you see on grocery shelves here in the lesser/lower 48?
Ocean caught pink salmon.

I'd forgotten about the canned stuff--when I said that ocean caught pinks are rarely seen on the U.S. market, I was thinking about flash-frozen pinks.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
I agree with Met on the Ocean Caught pinks. I think I'm going to load up on them this year. They are easier to get than reds and are good protein. You can get them easily in Valdez when they are in. That is, unless I get in on a fish-wheel coop on the Copper, then I'll focus on reds.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,404 times
Default red or pink salmon

Sockeye is the red salmon, rich colored, while pink is pale colored. I don't have a preference, although if you were entertaining, you'd probably want the sockeye for aesthetic appeal. Anything you mix into it will most likely reduce the color (cream cheese, mayonnaise, etc). Coho, or silver salmon, is also richly hued, if you find it.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,592 times
Default Reply to question Pink or Sockeye Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
I was at the store today, looking at Bumblebee canned Alaskan salmon. The pink salmon was about $2.79 per can and the sockeye salmon was about $5.69. Both are labeled as "wild alaskan salmon."

What is the difference between the two? And are they both actually wild caught?

Thanks if you wonderful Alaskans can educate a lower 48er on this. I've always wondered. I bought the sockeye but am wondering if I could have saved a few bucks and just bought the pink salmon.
Hi, We Alaskan just take it for granted that the others from the lower 48s know what the difference is. The Pink salmon is a small salmon with less fat then the Sockeye. The Sockeye is considered higher fat content and easier to smoke. Sockeye are larger then the Pink, or Humpies. In line of best to good is: King, Sockeye, Chum & Pink. Nothing better then wild caught Alaskan salmon. If you get it from Alaska any of it is good. We winter in CA. Return to Alaska in May to run our small family business. Enjoy your Salmon any which way. Better yet come and catch some yourself, can it and take it home. We will help you with that. Akaugold

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaugold View Post
........................................... In line of best to good is: King, Sockeye, Chum & Pink. .........................

There are (5) specie of Salmon in Alaska.................Ranked in order of "quality" (IMHO) and by the majority of folks familiar with them, they are:
KING..(aka Chinook, Tyee.......)

SILVER (aka Coho)

SOCKEYE (aka Reds)

PINK..(aka Hunpies)

CHUM (Dog Salmon)..(quite often used as Sled Dog Feed)

My "ranking" (opinion) is based on being caught in the sea, before they begin their "run" into fresh water to spawn.

Again, the above is "my opinion"..........other folks may rank them differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska