Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

The market ranks them like this:

King

Sockeye

Coho

Pinks

Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,179 times
And....BTW, for you that ain't where those fish are.....Trader Joe's has excellent quality canned pink and Sockeye

Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
And....BTW, for you that ain't where those fish are.....Trader Joe's has excellent quality canned pink and Sockeye
Trader Joe's has excellent quality a lot of things.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The market ranks them like this:

King

Sockeye

Coho

Pinks

Dogs
......................Hey Met................couple of questions..??

1/...Where does "Ling Cod" rank in the "Salmon Quality Ladder"?

2/...Where do "white fleshed Kings" rank? A little bit above the Reg Red/Orange fleshed ones?

3/ ,..And is it correct that approx 2 out every 10 Kings (in the waters off of Sitka) will be "white fleshed Kings?

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM

White King brings the highest price on the market of all salmon except for perhaps winter Kings of any color. There's a very small winter King fishery in SE Alaska. Not long ago a well-known culinary writer was slamming a restaurant for serving fresh Alaskan King salmon during the winter, saying that it couldn't be possible because of the time of year. He should have done his research; high-end restaurants are exactly where winter Kings show up.

I have no idea what occurs in the waters off of Sitka. White Kings were fairly plentiful in the waters off of POW last year. Some years there are lots of them and others not so much.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,354 times
Lingcod is nothing like salmon. It's a member of the greeenling family and has a mild, sweet flesh. It's kind of similar to cod but is a little more moist and is used a lot in fish and chips.

They are real badasses too. One sent me to the hospital with a staph infection after chomping down on my hand.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM

I have a feeling that Montana Griz knows that.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
What a great thread! Only in the Alaska forum do you get five extremely informative pages on the topic of pink vs. sockeye salmon. I can only speak from the perspective of having had the salmon we get here, but I do buy it at a very high-quality market, and they are "certified" Alaskan wild-caught salmon, no Atlantic farmed crap. My ranking, which is going to sound really weird, but here goes:

1. Reds
2. Silvers
3. Kings
4. Humpies

Never had dog. Now, I know I'm the complete, weirdo oddball on this topic, but I really do like the reds and silvers I've had better than kings. To me, there was just a bit more flavor to the fish. I almost always cook it flesh side down in olive oil over a gas stove for about five minutes and then finish it in the oven, flipped over, still in the skillet with the olive oil. I use very little seasoning, just a little sea salt, cracked pepper, and a bit of cayenne and a couple other things, but very small quantities. I like to think I've got it down to a science, at least for someone my age (mid-20's). I know I've got nothing on Met. I don't know... I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong with the kings, if anything, because it seems like nobody else agrees with me on this.

Oh, and I think silvers are waaaay underrated. They are absolutely phenomenal. I was very pleasantly surprised when I bought my first batch of them, and I continued to buy them in large quantities because they are always cheaper than reds and especially kings. And that is another thing: kings are so expensive out here in NC that I find no reason to go out of my way to buy them, especially when I like the flavor of reds at least as much, if not more.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I like reds for coconut salmon (double musky style) or smoked, silvers canned, and king steaks, followed by rainbow trout wrapped in foil and roasted on the coals.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
I was at the store today, looking at Bumblebee canned Alaskan salmon. The pink salmon was about $2.79 per can and the sockeye salmon was about $5.69. Both are labeled as "wild alaskan salmon."

What is the difference between the two? And are they both actually wild caught?

Thanks if you wonderful Alaskans can educate a lower 48er on this. I've always wondered. I bought the sockeye but am wondering if I could have saved a few bucks and just bought the pink salmon.
Sockeye is, IMO, the best salmon, oil enough to grill, deepest red color, best flavor. King/Chinook salmon is the largest and has a milder buttery taste. Coho/silver salmon is the mildest and lightest in color of the salmon you'd want to eat. When my husband was alive we had a fishing boat in Puget Sound and the ocean. Pink salmon/Humpy is used to can as is chum/dog salmon. Chum means any kind of bait and we used the pink and the chum as chum. If it's on sale, buy it for your pets. Do NOT buy farm-raised, color added salmon; salmon farms are against the law in Alaska as the fish are crowded in pens, fed antibiotics and most in the markets here say "farm-raised in Chili, color added" and they often infect wild salmon which is why they are against the law in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska