Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times

Advertisements

Fresh chum and pink are good. I'll eat any salmon.

Let me re-phrase that. I'll eat any fresh salmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 9,807 times
To each their own but when we caught chum and pink or humpie salmon we knocked them on the head to kill them and cut them up right there in the boat and used them as chum ( chum is another word for bait). I would sometimes bring a few home to feed my dogs but the meat is mushy even within hours of catching them.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Thank you all for the info on the White Kings and other related info.................

As a Side Note regarding Salmon and dog food...........................

I have a 5 year old Brittany that had a constant "dry skin condition" and excessive shedding. My Vet had some blood tests run and it turned out the dog was allergic to: corn, wheat, peas and lamb (these four ingredients are pretty common in many dog food brands of dry kibble) including the one I was feeding.

Over a 10 day period, I switched him over to a brand that is composed of ground up CHUM (aka dog salmon) Salmon and Sweet Potatoes (these two comprise about 90% of the ingredients)....the remaining 10% contains: Canola Oil, Salmon Oil, Potatoe Fiber, Flaxseed and other "health additives"---no grains. (the resulting kibble is: about 21% protein and 10% Fat & 3 % Fiber)

All his skin & coat problems are gone.....he loves the taste, never been healthier and 30 pounds lasts me 35 days.....equates out to about $1.25/day.
Grain allergies are very common among dogs. Also, 90% of all skin and fur problems with dogs can be traced back to their diet. One suggestion, add a tablespoon of plain, unsweetened yogurt to your dog food. It will provide the Lactobacillus acidophilus probiotics to help him digest more of his food, thus producing less waste.

With regard to salmon, my personal preferences are:
  • Sockeye (Red)
  • Coho (Silver)
  • Chinook (King)
My preference is based upon flavor. I do not fish for Humpies (Pink) or Chum (Dog) salmon. I rarely fish for salmon in the ocean, which means that by the time the Pinks and Dog salmon hit the rivers they are already beginning to mutate and starting to decay. I prefer the sea lice to still be alive on my salmon. If the sea lice are still alive, then the salmon could not have been in fresh water for more than three days.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 9,807 times
We fished in the ocean because once the salmon start up the rivers in Washington it's illegal to catch them as they are spawning. Also our boat was docked on Puget Sound so we could only fish there or go through the locks to the ocean. Sockeye is, IMO, by far the best tasting salmon, and Coho and Chinook are close behind. I believe my husband preferred using Chinook (King) to barbeque because it held together best according to him. Retired to Florida now and very rarely Fresh Foods gets in fresh wild-caught Alaskan Sockeye and they advertise weeks in advance and sell it for $20 to $22 per lb. It actually looks only about one day old. A 3" x 6" piece runs about $5 and is cheaper than a steak and better for you. The only thing Florida has that are delicious are fresh shrimp, large ones from Mayport fisherman run $2.50 to $3.50 lb as caught and $6 to $8 lb headless & semi-cleaned in the stores. Actually works out to about the same price. Just don't buy farm-raised color added salmon; you'll either give it to your pets or you'll never know how delicious wild Sockeye, Coho, and Chinook salmon is because you'll think salmon is supposed to taste like farm-raised does.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Speaking of canned salmon, Bumblebee is now calling what they used to label "sockeye salmon" is now "red salmon."
I gather from this thread they are the same thing but wonder why the name change or if it's anything like trees where "red oak" can refer to a number of different species.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryandjanie View Post
We fished in the ocean because once the salmon start up the rivers in Washington it's illegal to catch them as they are spawning. Also our boat was docked on Puget Sound so we could only fish there or go through the locks to the ocean. Sockeye is, IMO, by far the best tasting salmon, and Coho and Chinook are close behind. I believe my husband preferred using Chinook (King) to barbeque because it held together best according to him. Retired to Florida now and very rarely Fresh Foods gets in fresh wild-caught Alaskan Sockeye and they advertise weeks in advance and sell it for $20 to $22 per lb. It actually looks only about one day old. A 3" x 6" piece runs about $5 and is cheaper than a steak and better for you. The only thing Florida has that are delicious are fresh shrimp, large ones from Mayport fisherman run $2.50 to $3.50 lb as caught and $6 to $8 lb headless & semi-cleaned in the stores. Actually works out to about the same price. Just don't buy farm-raised color added salmon; you'll either give it to your pets or you'll never know how delicious wild Sockeye, Coho, and Chinook salmon is because you'll think salmon is supposed to taste like farm-raised does.
I agree with your husband. Kings barbeque the best.

I would not even feed my dogs farmed salmon.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Speaking of canned salmon, Bumblebee is now calling what they used to label "sockeye salmon" is now "red salmon."
I gather from this thread they are the same thing but wonder why the name change or if it's anything like trees where "red oak" can refer to a number of different species.
I would not buy it if it says "red salmon." Sockeye at least refers to the specific species, whereas "red" could mean anything, including "red" food coloring. It would not surprise me if they were trying to pass off farmed salmon that has been died red instead of a wild sockeye.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:36 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not buy it if it says "red salmon." Sockeye at least refers to the specific species, whereas "red" could mean anything, including "red" food coloring. It would not surprise me if they were trying to pass off farmed salmon that has been died red instead of a wild sockeye.
That's what I figured.

Darn it!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I am not sure on that as Sockeyes are Reds also. Copper River Salmon are Reds Sockeyes. The marketing ploy and my taste is kinda in agreement have to swim farther up the river to spawn so they kept more oil than a short run to spawn. I have got 5 white kings last year. My girlfriend has a only salmon charter and was also a commerical fisherwoman all her life. We did a blindfold tast taste to White King vrs Normal King. Really couldn't tell the difference. Funny thing is I read a book about fishing in SE in the 50's White King got a less price than dogs. However the Asian market wasn't in full swing then. I like both. Reds my favorite then King Silver and I will say I have cooked fresh after caught. Bright chrome Dog tasted better than Pinks to me. However Pinks are really good canned. I smoke or fresh pack everything else.

It also always depends on your palet and also how the fish was processed. I only eat my own and process my own. Meaning what happens to the fish when you catch it. Just like fish in Hawaii. I love Mahi Mahi when I catch it. When it is a lazy fisherman that doesn't bleed out their fish it tastes like crap. I am talking private catch not commerical. If commerical and you are buying in supermarket they are trying to take care of their fish the best they can because it calls for a higher price than lessor poor quaility. Any salmon from Alaska is better than any other salmon you will ever purchase otherwise. Farmed salmon my dog won't even eat. My neighbor is a fisherman that gets your canned pinks you buy and he does a good job!! As for the rest of the fishermen/fisherwoman up here. They want the best quaility to be bought at a higher price to come to you that buy.

Taste of the Wild is the best dog food out their I have found that isn't homemade speciality product. All Alaska salmon and no grains. Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post

Taste of the Wild is the best dog food out their I have found that isn't homemade speciality product. All Alaska salmon and no grains. Hope this helps.
TOTW was part of a very large recent recall by Diamond Foods. I feed my 7 pound guard dog Acana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska