Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times

Advertisements

I agree but here in Alaska at this point it is supposed to be ok as of June. I quit feeding when I heard that also in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I agree but here in Alaska at this point it is supposed to be ok as of June. I quit feeding when I heard that also in Hawaii.
I think many pet owners are just fed up with Diamond Foods and no longer trust their dog foods. I agree TOTW is a good quality food but the company has a history of recalls.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
.............Taste of the Wild is the best dog food out their I have found that isn't homemade speciality product. >>>>>>>>>All Alaska salmon<<<<<<< and no grains. Hope this helps.

A few minor detailed corrections:

It is not All Alaska Salmon............however, I agree it is one of the BEST Dry Dog Foods available.
I feed it and a sister product: Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Bison & Vension) Formula.

The first (5) listed ingredients in the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Dry Dog Food Formula are:
Salmon;...Fish Meal;...Sweet Potato;....Regular Potato and Canola Oil.
These (5) ingredients comprise approx 90% (by weight) of the total ingredients.
A variety of (40) other (very healthful & high quality) ingredients comprise the other 10%.
The amount of Salmon in those first (5) ingredients is approx 65%.
The Fish MEAL (composed of Chum, Whiting & Pollock) comprises approx 10%...................
The Sweet Potato amounts to approx 10%.....................
The Regular Potato amounts to approx another 10%,.............
And the Canola Oil is about 5%.

And as stated:...They do not use any grains in the formulas.

"Diamond Pet Food Corp" (a very large "Private-Label" Dog Food Producer" is the Manufacturer of the "Taste-of-the-Wild" dog food brands.

((EDIT)).....The info that I was able to obtain indicated that the Recall was related to their (Diamond Plt in SC) and involved the "Naturals Brand"..................Not the TOTW Brand, and none of the recalled product was distributed in Montana.

If a person checks back over the last 20 years or so, most all dog food mfg'ers have had a "recall" at one time or another. I personally am not considering changing brands......................Just my opinion(s)..

Last edited by Montana Griz; 07-31-2012 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: EDIT: Info on The Recall..................

Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
[/list]My preference is based upon flavor. I do not fish for Humpies (Pink) or Chum (Dog) salmon. I rarely fish for salmon in the ocean, which means that by the time the Pinks and Dog salmon hit the rivers they are already beginning to mutate and starting to decay. I prefer the sea lice to still be alive on my salmon. If the sea lice are still alive, then the salmon could not have been in fresh water for more than three days.

FWIW....just my own personal opinion(s):

I rate the White Kings at the top of the list for being the most flavorable and over-all best eating.
Next are reg Kings........Both have approx 11.7 grams of "oil per 100 grams of filet,...vs 8.6 grams for Sockeyes,....and 5.6 grams for Silvers. If the % of "oil" is what supposedly provides the best tasting fillet................then it may well be the King,....however this "taste" thing certainly can be altered by whatever else is put on the filet prior to cooking................I personally marinade mine in Paul Newman's Ceaser Salad Dressing with a little Lemon Pepper, white Wine, pinch of brown sugar, Paprika & Garlic Pepper added to the dressing.............leave in zip lock baggie in Fridge for about 4 hours.........and do 'em on the Grill.........flip over half way through and don't over cook.

Ketch Ya Later.................I'm goin' into the fridge for a "night-cap" of the Pino Grigio with a bite of left over Grilled Salmon..............

Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
Question Help with buying can Salmon!

Hello,
I just found this thread. You all seem so knowledgeable about salmon. I would greatly appreciate you help. A local supermarket in my area is closing. I bought some of their red sockeye salmon that is my favorite. However, they also have some bumblebee blueback salmon. Those are not moving. I believe other people too are not familiar and do not want to waste money. Even if it is cheap. Do you guys know anything about Blueback Salmon? I hope some of you are still on this forum. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momavos View Post
Hello,
I just found this thread. You all seem so knowledgeable about salmon. I would greatly appreciate you help. A local supermarket in my area is closing. I bought some of their red sockeye salmon that is my favorite. However, they also have some bumblebee blueback salmon. Those are not moving. I believe other people too are not familiar and do not want to waste money. Even if it is cheap. Do you guys know anything about Blueback Salmon? I hope some of you are still on this forum. Thanks in advance!
I am no expert, but I thought Blueback was another name for Sockeye.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Thirty seconds on the interwebs got me this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockeye_salmon

Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
Two years ago was a record Humpy run and I caught a ton of them. Grilled: they are terrible. Mushy flesh, a very stale aftertaste. However... they smoke up nicely and I've grown kinda fond of this "bottom-rung" salmon species.

Chum, (aka "keta") on the other hand, are truly unpalatable. We call them "dogs" not because they look like our furry friends but because they are a traditional meal and suitable only for your dogs.
Is this because they're truly horrible, like eating gar, or because you're used to lots of really good fish and these things soak up something from their environment? (southerner's example, catfish: I actually like cheap bottom-feeder catfish "where you can taste the dirt." (I'm a super-taster AND have a high tolerance for very strong flavors for some reason). Every decent fisherman known to man looks at me like I'm out of my mind, far preferring the (cleaner, flakier, more-officially-palatable, TASTELESS) channel catfish).

Can you describe why?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
It's because humpies, or pinks, begin to decompose really quickly as they near their spawning grounds. That's why you don't eat river fish in SE or pinks that are caught in the bays.

Ocean caught pinks are actually pretty good. Biologically, pinks are closer to King salmon that an other species, and the taste reflects it.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:05 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Okay, thanks, that makes sense, and explains why folks in Juneau who hosted me during my visit said zombie-fish were good only for smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska