Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times

Advertisements

i am going on a halibut fishing trip to Ninilchik, Homer and Valdez, and visiting Denali and Sutton-Palmer area in August.
i have never been to Alaska, and have a few questions.
first of all, what is the BEST mosquito repellent that you know of?
second, any "must pack" items (besides common sense stuff eg rain gear, hiking boots)?
third, any dining recommendations in the areas i am visiting? (the "cant miss" restaurants)
fourth, any interesting stores that i should not miss?
p.s. i also will visit Anchorage very briefly and want to go to Knight's Taxidermy (from the show MOUNTED IN ALASKA)!
Thanks yall for any recommendations/info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
You might also check out the Trip Advisor forums... Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Stop at Long Rifle Lodge for a burger and hope for a clear day. Mile 102 Glenn Hwy. Overlooks the Matanuska Glacier

Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
I second Long Rifle Lodge on the burgers. I had dinner there a couple nights in a row when I was bus training.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 AM

49 posts, read 103,246 times
Do you know where you will be staying in Denali yet? I'm a Southern girl working at milepost 231 Parks Hwy. In fact, I met some nice Texans this evening. There aren't too many "can't miss" restaurants here other than the Salmon Bake. Also, I highly recommend purchasing bug repellent with the highest amount of Deet possible. Pack layers, definitely rain gear, a great pair of hiking boots, and don't forget your camera. Oh, and if you want to splurge, check out 229 Parks Restaurant and Tavern at milepost 229.7. The food there is incredible.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 PM

howdy moonbear,
we are staying at Denali Cabins and taking a bus tour.
you say layers but i mean how cold will i be? its been triple digit heat here in Texas for a month or two, and i am so ready to freeze my butt off on a glacier or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbear View Post
Do you know where you will be staying in Denali yet? I'm a Southern girl working at milepost 231 Parks Hwy. In fact, I met some nice Texans this evening. There aren't too many "can't miss" restaurants here other than the Salmon Bake. Also, I highly recommend purchasing bug repellent with the highest amount of Deet possible. Pack layers, definitely rain gear, a great pair of hiking boots, and don't forget your camera. Oh, and if you want to splurge, check out 229 Parks Restaurant and Tavern at milepost 229.7. The food there is incredible.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM

interestingly enough, we are staying with friends who live within minutes of Long Rifle Lodge!!! will definitely check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Stop at Long Rifle Lodge for a burger and hope for a clear day. Mile 102 Glenn Hwy. Overlooks the Matanuska Glacier

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM

9 posts, read 19,091 times
If you're going to be on the Kenai you might as well visit Seward. I like the place a lot. If I were you I'd blow right through the Palmer/Wasilla/Anchorage metro area. Spend your time in other areas.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
You'll probably have temps in the 50s to mid 60s during the day, and into the 40s at night. Plan for overcast, drizzly weather on the coast and sunnier but possibly rainy weather inland. You're coming during the rainiest time of the year, so bring rain gear and waterproof boots, and synthetic stuff like fleece. Bring a warm hat too, since these temps will be very different from what you're coming from.

For bugs I like Ultrathon, and won't ever wear 100% DEET again (that stuff eats plastic!). 25-40% is good enough. A lot of people like that Avon Skin-So-Soft stuff. Out here The Harbor Cafe has good burgers and a new place, The Fat Mermaid, supposedly has the best pizza in town. Or go down to the beach by the harbor where they have picnic tables and grill up some of the halibut or coho you caught that day. In Homer The Fat Olive is amazing and Two Sisters Bakery just down the street is very good as well. I also agree on not spending much time in Anchorage or the Valley. It's best seen as a blur outside your windows as you go somewhere more interesting, though Hatcher Pass is a very nice area.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 AM

very helpful information! thanks for taking the time to share it!!! i am so ready to see rain, cuz of the long drought we have been in here in Texas, i dont even remember what it feels like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
You'll probably have temps in the 50s to mid 60s during the day, and into the 40s at night. Plan for overcast, drizzly weather on the coast and sunnier but possibly rainy weather inland. You're coming during the rainiest time of the year, so bring rain gear and waterproof boots, and synthetic stuff like fleece. Bring a warm hat too, since these temps will be very different from what you're coming from.

For bugs I like Ultrathon, and won't ever wear 100% DEET again (that stuff eats plastic!). 25-40% is good enough. A lot of people like that Avon Skin-So-Soft stuff. Out here The Harbor Cafe has good burgers and a new place, The Fat Mermaid, supposedly has the best pizza in town. Or go down to the beach by the harbor where they have picnic tables and grill up some of the halibut or coho you caught that day. In Homer The Fat Olive is amazing and Two Sisters Bakery just down the street is very good as well. I also agree on not spending much time in Anchorage or the Valley. It's best seen as a blur outside your windows as you go somewhere more interesting, though Hatcher Pass is a very nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska