Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I think trouthunter is just reacting to the fact that coal plants may be the norm in most of the country, but they are very sparse on the West coast, no less Alaska. For a region that relies mostly on hydroelectric, building a coal plant sure feels like moving backward to me.
I think it's a sad reality that Alaska has huge deposits of every kind of oil you'd ever want, but heating and gasoline prices are still among the highest in the nation. Maybe it's time for people in our government quit being blinded by all the dollar signs and start thinking about our welfare.
Agree with you. But the problem is that Congress won't allow for more oil production not only in Alaska, but in the lower-48. Also, the higher the price per gallon, or the more gallons sold at the pump, the more local and Federal governments put in their coffers. Approximately 40% of the taxes paid per gallon goes to these governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
well, since we're talking about energy, I just found out something today at work.
juneau, of course not being "on the grid" per say, is 96% maxed out.
interesting times coming........

Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
I remember reading on the local paper about a year or two ago, where Japan was planning to built a prototype and very small nuclear plant to power some village in Alaska. The plant was supposed to be designed so it would be isolated from the permafrost, and was supposed to be a sort of future generation nuclear plant. Has anybody heard if the project ever started? I haven't heard anything else since.

Now, about Alaska coal: the coal by Healy is supposed to be cleaner than some other types of coal. I have no idea of what the difference is, but for a few years prior this coal was being sold to Korea. The new generation of coal-burning plants in the US are supposed to be cleaner, but I have no idea if the EPA rules have been implemented in Alaska.

I just found the news relating to Japan and the nuclear plant I talked above. The news is in several Internet sites:
adn.com | front : Village invited to test cheap, clean nuclear power

Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,445,170 times
This was the project for Galena. What has slowed it some is the base closure there.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Calista, my so called corporation wanted to put in a Coal Fired plant here in Bethel. The city of Bethel rejected any future building of that here. Calista wants to spend all this money on a plant and a big long line up to Donlin Creek, 191 miles upriver to develop a mine and they don't even give us shareholders dividends. Here is a story on it.

Plugging in! Power generation for remote natural resource development is high on the priority list for many.(Natural Resources) Industry & Business Article - Research, News, Information, Contacts, Divisions, Subsidiaries, Business Associations

and here, too.

The Mining News

Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM

200 posts, read 718,254 times
Default http://www.nextenergynews.com/index.html

NextEnergyNews.com

interesting alternative fuel / energy news

Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default welcome, ak49er

Welcome, ak49!

Glad that someone at Beluga finally noticed the pic. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of my information is either outdated or just plain wrong, that photo is from about four or five years ago and my memory these days is hardly foolproof.

I got the "nickel tour" once when I got weathered in overnight (good food, by the way). The one lonely guy minding the shop on the graveyard shift mentioned in answer to a question of mine that they didn't have any working steam turbines at the time. He said that they did have one but that it was broken more often than not, I guess he may have been exaggerating a bit.

As a former CEA customer, I remember grouching about the "high cost of gas" surcharges tacked onto the electric bills, but I'll bet it's nothing compared to now. Of course, I'd also bet that it's still cheaper than where I'm getting my power from now. Here in Haines almost all the power comes from hydro, it might be "green", but it's not cheap.

I recently read that the LNG plant over in Nikiski got another two years export licence approved, so I'm assuming that Cook Inlet gas isn't getting any cheaper in the short run. Back when they built Beluga they could hardly give the stuff away, but it's like gold today.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM

347 posts, read 934,334 times
wow
i didnt realize the nuke plant at greely had issues.

I lived there as a kid, my father was in the army and helped close it down. good times.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
well, some very serious alternative energy projects are close to starting.
the nice part is, they will benefit alaska first, everyone else 2nd.
that's about all I can say right now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska