Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
We roll one of these at work too, for transporting clearing crews to remote sites (it's a big one with room for 4 or 5 people). I don't use it much personally, but from what I know, it's a good rig that's had few problems. I think we're planning on buying another, similar model.

Sounds like the ARGO idea is pretty dead, but I'll toss in one more thing: they're not FUN! They're slow, bumpy and somewhat challenging to drive, particularly with tracks (at least the models we were using). I wouldn't ever think of taking one of those things out recreationally.
Agree with you. An Argo is the best vehicle to reach an area that is too swampy for an ATV. For example, my hunting partners and I hunt along a ridge-top that is crisscrossed by trails. The best success rate is not on the ridge, but down in the valley at the end of the trail. So while we use ATV's, the guys who hunt the valley past the end of the trail, have no choice but to use Argo's. They usually start pulling moose meat from down there at the beginning of the season, and we most times do the same by mid season

While I make it to my campsite from the trailhead in about 45 minutes to one hour, it takes them quite a lot more time to make it to my campsite on their Argo's. So, ATVs work for me, and Argo's work for them.

By the way, the bigger moose are killed by those guys, too, which is normal since moose like to hang around water. Something to think about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
So are the ATVs that you use muffled in any way? We always refrain from driving trucks with modified exhausts or ATVs during hunting trips for fear of scaring the deer away. Then again, deer are very skittish animals; are moose as skittish as deer? Moose hunting is quite a different ballgame, it seems.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM

206 posts, read 514,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
So are the ATVs that you use muffled in any way? We always refrain from driving trucks with modified exhausts or ATVs during hunting trips for fear of scaring the deer away. Then again, deer are very skittish animals; are moose as skittish as deer? Moose hunting is quite a different ballgame, it seems.
Funny you should ask that i actually looked into 2 manufacturers of Electric ATVs, i would have paid the higher price for one, but the battery life gets a huge hit from the cold weather here in Barrow. Those things are whisper quiet.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Moose don't see to be bothered by traffic noises (ATV's and automobiles) when they browse by ATV trails, roads, or in the towns. Maybe in isolated places they would be, but not where I hunt.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM

No moose in Barrow. I did see one when i was visiting Anchorage but thats been it. Course we got herds of Reindeer/Caribou.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM

^ Well, if you ask me (which you didn't, but hey ), herds of Caribou in Barrow is way cooler than herds of moose in Anchorage.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM

^ Heh, do moose even move around in herds ? i really know so little about them and there social habits. If they do herd up thats must be a scary sight if you are in there way at all.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM

^ Heheh, I don't know jack about moose. My point was that, well, Barrow is way cooler than Anchorage.

Of course, I wouldn't know since, you know, I've never been to Alaska, and therefore am a second-class citizen.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post
^ Heh, do moose even move around in herds ? i really know so little about them and there social habits. If they do herd up thats must be a scary sight if you are in there way at all.
That's a good question. But bull moose gather as many cows they can handle, although that only happens during the rut. Now, deep into the winter I have driven past Cantwell several times, and remember perhaps five years ago on a very cold morning, about seven moose all together on one spot. These moose were not moving around, and the snow was quite deep there. Maybe they were just conserving energy or something.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's a good question. But bull moose gather as many cows they can handle, although that only happens during the rut. Now, deep into the winter I have driven past Cantwell several times, and remember perhaps five years ago on a very cold morning, about seven moose all together on one spot. These moose were not moving around, and the snow was quite deep there. Maybe they were just conserving energy or something.
Do you blame the bull moose from herding as many cows as he can????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska