Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 PM

261 posts, read 505,964 times

Advertisements

I love the Kenai, I love Soldotna, and I love the city of Kenai. I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. But why would you move somewhere that you've never even visited? I see that all the time on this forum and just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM

468 posts, read 799,421 times
We came through Soldotna during the worst of the summer, in terms of traffic. There was not only the usual summer traffic, but also that huge salmon surge going on. I think we saw the worst it could throw at us. Having said that, we really enjoyed the area...just wish we could have it hit it on another weekend. Good luck with the job! I think it would be a really neat area to live.

Personally, I have my long range plan/heart set on Homer.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,057 times
Default Adventures... research.. and why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
I love the Kenai, I love Soldotna, and I love the city of Kenai. I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. But why would you move somewhere that you've never even visited? I see that all the time on this forum and just don't get it.
I remember 27 years ago coming from northern Indiana... over crowded polluted... and being told "we're moving to Wisconsin"... GEEZ.. no visit didn't have a clue what it was all about. Big difference in culture for sure... I was from a continuous suburb of the Chicago land area to the country and nature...

I've visited the Juneau area for 25 days.. not Kenai for sure but I've studied Kenai and surrounding area for 7 or more months. That was my next choice to visit and was starting to make the plans. This job opened up and fits my work experience perfectly and it just feels right...

Hmmm.. I know you think it is crazy but I've learn when I don't follow my instincts I miss opportunities and regret it... what's life without great adventures... I have the resources to make this happen (I'm not rich by no means) but I have the strength, will power and the tenacity...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 AM

437 posts, read 815,562 times
I say, follow your dreams. If you can make it happen then go for it!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM

413 posts, read 937,906 times
I've moved tons of places that I've never visited. Nothing in life is permanent; take the chances to make your own adventures while you have the opportunity!

Best of luck with snagging a position!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:02 AM

I must admit it is a daunting thing... but very exiting at the same time... so many things to put together very quickly.

I have a question about the best choice in fuels in that area? I'm looking at homes and I want to make a smart choice in the cost of fuel for what ever home I choose.. a real cost in the winter months. I know that is what is important here in Wisconsin. Water source is another important factor. I wouldn't mind a "fixer upper" but the basics have to be there until I can settle in and pool the resources for those repairs. I can do most of the repairs myself... I have experience here in my home now... any suggestions?

Yes I seem to be jumping ahead of myself but two things to make this work... a good job and a roof over my head... would it just be smarter to rent until I can find my ideal home...???... geez LOL

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
just a tip....Nikiski has a beautiful pool complex for the towns people! nice amenity! about 25 miles from Soldotna...if you head up, let me know I will drop someone a line and see if they can meet up with you an show you around.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
You'll have the option of natural gas, wood, electric, diesel/fuel oil, or you can go down to the beach and collect coal to burn!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Default Yes... thank you.. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
just a tip....Nikiski has a beautiful pool complex for the towns people! nice amenity! about 25 miles from Soldotna...if you head up, let me know I will drop someone a line and see if they can meet up with you an show you around.
Just working on the resume before getting it faxed off and I appreciate your offer Blue... I know I will certainly contact you for your friend's help.. That is what I love the most is the sense of community and I will certainly get involved as much as I can to help them out too.

I would love to visit right now... if I could do it but have to first get the resume off and on its way first

They do say... "Good things come for those who wait"... how about "He who waits too long misses that opportunity knocking"...

Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 AM

Default Coal... come on now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You'll have the option of natural gas, wood, electric, diesel/fuel oil, or you can go down to the beach and collect coal to burn!
Seriously... is that like picking up gold nuggets in the kenai river?? LOL so kidding...

Beach Coal - Using Bituminous Coal very interesting reading about the coal on the beach... Thanks Rance... I think I'll stick with natural gas, electric and a type of fuel oil ... whatever is easy to obtain and get delivered to where ever I end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska