Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I believe if nothing comes of my interview... I will try try again... I've done so much internet searching it is amazing the varied asking prices of rent... pretty much the same sq footage but up to $300 difference in price... !!

Chilkoot... any suggestions on the apartment management on many of these I've been looking at in Anchorage?... I'm still hoping for Soldotna but I believe this interview with the main managers of AHFC decide for both Soldotna and Anchorage (positions were the same since they down graded the II to a I in Anchorage)... they said 4-5 openings...
I have friend who is a grant writer over at AHFC who really enjoys it there. Just getting your foot in the door would be great. It's easy to move within if you're worth your weight. When I lived in Kenai I had to take a job with the state in Anchorage and was able to transfer to the Soldotna office within 3 months.

As for apartments....the economists are anticipating a downturn in the housing market as there are NO big projects in the current future that would support growth. Housing prices will go down including rents. If you end up in Anchorage this fall consider a B&B that usually accomodates tourists in the summer. There are many that give great deals in the winter and many include use of a kitchen but do not provide the usual amenities like breakfast. Try not to get into a lease situation if you can avoid it.

I retire in 4.5 years with the state and we are just now flirting with selling our home and renting before we begin to lose equity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM

413 posts, read 937,961 times
I hope everything works out!!

This is the first I've been on the computer since we left Illinois, and I checked your thread before even updating my own!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,376 times
Thank you Blackzz, Blue, Met, Newtgirl and Chilkoot... I hope things go my way when they consider the applicants... if it is meant to be it will be... I know I feel support from all of you and that makes me smile... they were suppose to send me some papers to sign and I haven't received them yet so I will be calling there soon and then sending my thank you letter.

I'm on pins and needles and don't know whether to pack and panic or just panic LOL... I hope things work out for you too Newtgirl.. I've been crossing my fingers and saying my prayers for you...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Papers came by adobe attachment today ... yahoo!!.. i feel they are still interested... worked 2 hours over time today due to hail the size of baseballs in the dakotas, nebraska and missouri claim states... so many claims.. so little time.. great to get OT though to save for my gas money

I can't believe that Alaska Housing is moving so fast with their hiring... I'm glad because 3800 mile drive in the winter could take a bit longer... I do have an all wheel drive vehicle but still..

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,733,959 times
Quote:
Papers came by adobe attachment today ... yahoo!!.. i feel they are still interested... worked 2 hours over time today due to hail the size of baseballs in the dakotas, nebraska and missouri claim states... so many claims.. so little time.. great to get OT though to save for my gas money

I can't believe that Alaska Housing is moving so fast with their hiring... I'm glad because 3800 mile drive in the winter could take a bit longer... I do have an all wheel drive vehicle but still..
PAPERS!! awesome good sign they are really serious about you as a hire!!! everything possible is crossed for you!....prayers being said....waaahooo for you!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 18,139 times
Soldotna is a better choice for so many reasons. It is a smaller community than Anchorage isn't it? Lower cos of living? Prettier?? and it seems as though thats the job you want. The extra money you'd make in anchorage will just get taken from you in living expenses.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Default So right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamesplease View Post
Soldotna is a better choice for so many reasons. It is a smaller community than Anchorage isn't it? Lower cos of living? Prettier?? and it seems as though thats the job you want. The extra money you'd make in anchorage will just get taken from you in living expenses.
I know ... I really wanted the location to be Soldotna but I did bring it up in the interview since they could be the ones interviewing for all the positions and they made it clear it was for Anchorage. Like Chil stated... he had a friend that worked for AHF and I could eventually transfer when an opening came up... I just want to get to Alaska with a good paying job with half way decent benefits... the rest will come.

I do have a good friend that has a cousin in Eagle River that might be able to connect me with a good room to rent through her connections or reasonable small place. i want to buy but really want to wait to see where i eventually end up. The exploring part is the best part...

I am so with you... I don't really want the "big city" thing but I have "roughed" it before... LOL...

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Well... received my "dear john" letter... that's what I call the "you were great but we chose someone else" letter... oh well.. back to the applications.. not giving up just plan change that's all...

This job was such a perfect fit but another job will have to do... I am still putting my home up for sale and will pick a place to rent until I can get a job.. I'm sure it will be easier if I already live in Alaska to get a job instead of such a long distance. I know others seem to have no issue but maybe just not my time yet... remember a quiter never wins right?...

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Well... received my "dear john" letter... that's what I call the "you were great but we chose someone else" letter... oh well.. back to the applications.. not giving up just plan change that's all...

This job was such a perfect fit but another job will have to do... I am still putting my home up for sale and will pick a place to rent until I can get a job.. I'm sure it will be easier if I already live in Alaska to get a job instead of such a long distance. I know others seem to have no issue but maybe just not my time yet... remember a quiter never wins right?...
Sorry to hear that....but you have a great attitude and I am sure something will work out for you.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:17 PM

200 posts, read 287,436 times
Well dang. So sorry naturesdreams. Hope you find the job that will be the perfect fit for you in the perfect place!! That door closed, but maybe there is another opening as I type. Best of luck to you and don't give up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska