Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe they give veteran preference or something but according to their site you don't have to be a veteran to go there. It does say you need to have some form of assistance for everyday living and it's not even halfway into the season and I'm already there. So I'm sure the Pioneer Home will take me. If not I'll just open a daycare center because after this season's crew I certainly will have enough experience.
I was mistaken, they designate 75% of their beds for veterans and the rest for non-veterans. I still say a beach in Hawaii.

Division of Alaska Pioneer Homes | Veterans & Pioneers Home in Palmer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Better then Oklahoma which is a "let them die" state.
Thanks for the tip! If it should come to that, I never got around to signing any health care directives and no living will, and they've got me hooked up to tubes and oxygen tanks to keep me alive, off to Oklahoma I go!

And I hope they let me go with pistol-like speed!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Met...you need to gather the crew together sometime and get a 'team picture' and then post it here.
I can try that...but I really believe in getting people's permission before posting their pics on the net so I'll see if they're all right with it. What I should do is get before and after pics...but it's too late for the before pics now.

Provided I have time I'd like to get some pics of the totem raisings that are going on here this week....hope I can remember.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-29-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I was mistaken, they designate 75% of their beds for veterans and the rest for non-veterans. I still say a beach in Hawaii.

Division of Alaska Pioneer Homes | Veterans & Pioneers Home in Palmer
Why the hell would I want to go to Hawaii? Too damned hot there. I'm going to the Pioneer Home for the winter where they have room service.

I read on their site that only 104 or so of their members are veterans.

For all you know I could be a veteran anyway, Pat.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why the hell would I want to go to Hawaii? Too damned hot there. I'm going to the Pioneer Home for the winter where they have room service.

I read on their site that only 104 or so of their members are veterans.

For all you know I could be a veteran anyway, Pat.
You would go to Hawaii for the winter months but you might be right about it being too hot. Then go to the Pioneer Home, veteran or not.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM

205 posts, read 740,118 times
Default It's a mixed bag, and a blessing or a curse

When you get old you get what you get. Very few people who need a nursing home will have the opportunity to get into one. There are just a few openings now and then and a waiting list.

From what I have experienced I can tell you some stories you would not even believe. Plan ahead. And VISIT these places, get a reality check. If you end up needing to live in an assisted living situation, you may not even be able to speak for yourself, much less wipe your own ass. You get what you get, and it's a REAL GOOD IDEA to know in advance what you are in for, while you can still think for yourself. And pray to God you have another human being on the outside keeping an eye on what's going on with you. If you don't believe in prayer, well, just make sure you take care of this detail yourself.

In another venue, I will probably have an opportunity to say alot more about this. Thank God for nursing homes, but buyer beware, and be aware.

Old age, alzheimers or something similar, memory loss, mental confusion, drugs that are prescribed, all of this can affect your control over what happens to you, and whether you have a say in or even knowledge of what medications you are given.

How many people in a nursing home are not prescribed mind altering drugs in addition to whatever other standard medications are prescribed for the various problems aging brings to us. There is likely to not be a single person in there who isn't taking a variety of things on a daily basis. (I'm not saying this is *all* wrong.)

When you visit your nursing home, have a meal there with a resident. Eat what they are served. It will come sooner than you think. If you can't get in to the best we have to offer, you may be in for your worst nightmare, one which will only end with your passing. It may come well before you get 'old.'

Old 07-30-2011, 10:59 AM

115 posts, read 165,769 times
God this is depressing. I qualify for AARP in 5 short months.

Maybe you aren't sure how things will be when you get older - but I have never liked what I saw in nursing homes. I would rather get some home care if I can afford it. I do qualify for veteran's homes - but I don't know if I would want to go that route. The last thing I want to do is be a burden or a hardship on my family.

On the other hand... with the lifestyle I lead, who knows if I will actually make it to "old age"... I've been pretty hard on my body, and don't plan on letting up anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska