Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 AM

339 posts, read 588,486 times

Advertisements

Probably right. I am not a violent person but I will empty ALL my boxes of ammo before giving what I have worked hard to collect up. I am stocked for atleast 12-18 months, easily. If I can do it so can others and they should. One should never rely on the Gov't, and others within reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Why is it that the phrase "I am not a violent person" is almost always followed by a grandiose statement about how much violence a person would be willing to perpetrate?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Why is it that the phrase "I am not a violent person" is almost always followed by a grandiose statement about how much violence a person would be willing to perpetrate?
Do you think that peaceful people are not willing to fight for their freedom and survival?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM

287 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Do you think that peaceful people are not willing to fight for their freedom and survival?
Survival - yes, freedom - no

Quite frankly most people in this country have no idea when freedoms are being challenged or taken away from them.

Used to be when you bought land, you got mineral rights with, now actual land WITH mineral rights is few and far between.

Let's not even mention most people have the "If it doesn't affect me..." mentality... There was a group of people that had the same mentality in the late 30's early 40's...

History repeats itself

Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Survival - yes, freedom - no

Quite frankly most people in this country have no idea when freedoms are being challenged or taken away from them.

Used to be when you bought land, you got mineral rights with, now actual land WITH mineral rights is few and far between.

Let's not even mention most people have the "If it doesn't affect me..." mentality... There was a group of people that had the same mentality in the late 30's early 40's...

History repeats itself
That doesn't have anything to do with freedom. That has to do with being educated. Our family owns mineral rights to oil & gas producing lands in the panhandle of Oklahoma & Texas. The surface rights were sold decades ago.

If you want to buy land that includes the mineral rights then do your home work before signing on the dotted line.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I'll just sign on up with the oppressors.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Maybe we should say "I am not prone to random acts of violence"......

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Heh. That works.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
I am not sure how long I would be able to survive, but I would not leave south central Alaska. I would count on most everyone else leaving. I would also not care about fishing and game regulations, as it would be a matter of survival. So one of the first things I would do is set a gill net across a small river, like the Little Su, and catch absolutely every fish that swims up or down stream until I had enough. I would also shoot any moose or other critter I ran across, and bait them whenever possible. If it has fur or feathers it can be safely eaten.

As far as vitamin C is concerned, flowers are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C. That includes fireweed, goldenrod, wild geranium, monkeyflower, mountain sorrel, nagoonberry blossoms, saxifrage, spring beauty and columbine. One wild violet is enough to provide a daily adult dose of vitamin C. In the spring I would harvest fiddlehead ferns, and birch bark can be into flour or meal for breads or porridge. Along the coast there are also beach greens, oysterleaf, beach pea, bladderwrack, bull kelp, dulse, goosetongue, glasswort, nori algae, lovage, orach, roseroot, ribbon kelp, and sea lettuce which are all edible. In the fall, there are all kinds of berries, such as bog cranberry, low-bush cranberry (lingonberry), high-bush cranberry, bunchberry, watermelon berry, cloudberry, nagoonberry, raspberry, bog blueberry, crowberry, northern black currant or trailing black currant, and juniper.

I have lots of mason jars and a pressure cooker that only requires heat, no electricity, so I could preserve food. Granted, my diet would be extremely limited, but I am reasonably certain that I would not starve.

I am also reasonably certain I could cut down between 9 and 12 cords of wood with an axe and split them with my maul to provide heat during the winter. Although, that it in itself would be a full time job during the summer. Depending on the duration of the economic catastrophe, I would consider moving out of my home to a much smaller dwelling, maybe 400 square feet or less, to make it easier to heat and require less wood. I know how to render tallow for candles and soap, so I would have some light and stay relatively clean.

It would not be a comfortable or easy life, and I am not sure if I could last more than a few years, but I would certainly do my best. I would also not become violent or selfish if someone came to me in need. I would share the resources I could with anyone. Now if they were to become violent toward me, then that is a different matter. However, if someone needed a warm place to stay, or needed medical attention, or to share my food, I would not begrudge them. I would not want someone to turn me away if I were in need, so I will not turn away anyone who is in need.

Last edited by Glitch; 10-25-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 PM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post

Maybe that is better as I would not get into a fight, under normal situations. I am a very peacefull person, on the whole, and don't even like to argue. I will admit there are times I do argue and later regret my actions, thus the occasional apologies you see on here. However, survival is another situation and if the SHTF my kids and grandkids would flock to my house. lol they know where the food is. Mama, and Nana, bears will fight to the end to defend theirs. The weapons are for protection and that is what they would be used for. Not agressive acts towards others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska