Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,714 times

Advertisements

Now I know what I want for Christmas...a fizz making motor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Scurvy; scurvy; gotta have vitamins or you will die from scurvy.

Another ol wives tale.. .. Scientists are shocked and have no explanation of how Inupiaq people live and survive in such a harsh enviroment living almost exclusively off of flammable fat. - there are no vegetables per say in the diet of the Inupiat peoples. Flammable fat !! fish & meat. & some berries once a year during the fall time.

They survived for 1000's of years. If any people(s) have an advantage over others I would think the Inupiaq would have it the easiest.

NO one is going to be fighting to move up north to the remoteness of the arctic. There lies my safe haven away from the maddening crowd.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I do not personally believe that the interior is survivable for long. Perhaps not even Anchorage. Burning wood to heat takes a near constant presence. Most people who think survivalist believe that the area of Idaho and the North California area are good bets. Shelter not to brutal weather and one can grow food and raise animals. That said, collapse should it occur will be a process not one event unless a major asteroid hits the planet of the series of calamities which just hit Japan hits here. Nature bats last and it would appear planet Gaia is throwing fastballs at the chin.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 AM

221 posts, read 656,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We really can't farm here in southern SE...but we certainly can forage, and things can be grown in greenhouses. Plenty of game and fish; we could get by on wood heat for quite some time and since we live in the woods there are enough trees withing whacking distance that gas wouldn't be an issue. Probably have some cold nights but it rarely gets cold enough for anyone to freeze to death.

I imagine that in the event of cash becoming worthless...some kind of black market of sorts would materialize; enough of my customers are among the very rich that I'd probably be able to get some benefit from that, provided they have access to fuel that the average people don't.

We could live with a fiscal disaster here, I think. But we couldn't live with an environmental one.

It all comes down to food. Like Marty said, it's abundant here, and there are also a lot of people here who are skilled in the procurement of food without using fossil fuel generated means.
Actually it all come down to water. You can survive for longer without food than water. In terms of survival water is more vital.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM

109 posts, read 166,973 times
In SE AK, water is a given. It falls from the sky. Annual precipitation in the triple digits. Food is slightly harder to collect, but plentiful. Great resources, light population, perfect combination. POW would be my #1 vote, but I'm unabashedly biased.

An environmental disaster would doom the whole region, of course, but it's pretty hard to plan for long term live-in contingencies involving radiation, tsunamis, meteor strikes, random dark matter planets, or T-virus outbreaks. Doesn't matter much where you live at that point. Just sayin.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

Another ol wives tale.. .. Scientists are shocked and have no explanation of how Inupiaq people live and survive in such a harsh enviroment living almost exclusively off of flammable fat. - there are no vegetables per say in the diet of the Inupiat peoples. Flammable fat !! fish & meat. & some berries once a year during the fall time.

They survived for 1000's of years. If any people(s) have an advantage over others I would think the Inupiaq would have it the easiest.

NO one is going to be fighting to move up north to the remoteness of the arctic. There lies my safe haven away from the maddening crowd.
Perhaps it's genetic. Supposedly the livers of some animals have vitamin C in them....but nonetheless, people died of scurvy during the gold rush days. Most of them were white; maybe they just didn't have the genetic predisposition to a diet of flammable fats that the Natives did.

I never knew that about saurkraut...hate it though which is another reason I wouldn't make it through an interior winter if I had to live off the land.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I wonder how many winters any of us can survive in the interior should the national economy tank?
Should? It has, and will tank even more, along with the dollar which will end up having the same intrinsic value as monopoly money.

Living in a warmer part of Alaska (like Met) would be preferable. There'll be more of this http://www.jmorganmarketing.com/wp-c...02/barter1.jpg and less of this http://www.imbrandon.com/wp-content/...-of-cash-4.jpg

Forming community connections will be important, so you might be wise to find out who lives in your neighborhood and any potential dangers.

Living in Fairbanks, where half the year is like living in a frozen black hole, would not be a good thing.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
Actually it all come down to water. You can survive for longer without food than water. In terms of survival water is more vital.
Running out of water isn't something we worry about on an island in the rainforest.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

Whale skin is a good source of Vitamin C. The organs of some sea animals is also a good source of Vitamin C.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,796 times
Quote:
who lives in your neighborhood and any potential dangers
She posts here regularly...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska