Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

This is interesting:

The Straight Dope: Traditionally Eskimos ate only meat and fish. Why didn't they get scurvy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
We're in the Interior at the "end of the road", so already live on the edge of SHTF. I think survivability in this area is pretty good despite the cold. We have plenty of trees nearby for firewood and they're small enough that even cutting and hauling by hand wouldn't be too awfully prohibitive if you had a halfway decent small cabin that was well insulated. Tons of wild game and fish and forage that aren't completely depleted since there aren't too many folks right around here.

Tons of wild berries and roses for the magical Vitamin C, plus cabbage (raw is better, but kraut is still good) and potatoes have decent amounts of C as well and we know they grow here. Vitamin D shouldn't be a problem if you're eating salmon (or most any fish), or smoked sausages/hams, or have a dairy goat and some laying hens, or eat mushrooms frequently... might get a smidge low in the dead of winter, but you can build it up in the summer sun and your body stores it pretty well.

The short season is a problem only with the longer season stuff, but there are short season grains and plenty of veg that do just fine, only a few need extra TLC. You might not get huge harvests of some stuff, but certainly enough not to suffer malnutrition or starvation. If you can hunt and fish, the human animal is pretty efficient at getting the majority of it's needs from animal products -- fruit, veg & grains are good, but not always necessary in large quantities.

The biggest issue for us would be transportation... with gas prices as they are, lots of us are already carpooling for supply trips into town. If they shut down our Post Office, then we'd be even worse off for getting supplies.

But if SHTF... life would pretty much be business as usual here.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I think what is surprising to me is that many peeps smarter than me predict those loss of vital foods gas and power is closer than we think. the dow lost more today than 5% on "jitters". It is a house of cards and panic can cause a lot of things to change. I think that initially Alaska would be a good place to be as power flows locally, processed gas might be another story....it the sht goes down, I would prefer to be there than here no doubt.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Hunting/fishing is a great plan is all the pollutants don't kill off the fish and toxins make meat inedible......wonder how all the people/families receiving food and lodging vouchers will survive once that ends.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Living in the Interior is do able for survival but you'd have to be one tough cookie to pull it off and summer would be nothing but work work work making sure you have food and wood enough to last through winter. Since it gets so cold, I'd like to live hear a spring or spring fed water source to ensure I had access to open water in the deep freeze.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 PM

38 posts, read 79,070 times
This is another reason I got interested in SE Alaska: like many other posters have said, it's the only place in the world fertile enough to be able to support a sedentary hunter-gatherer civilization. Everywhere else HGs had to move constantly to avoid overexploiting the land.

Also cool summers and lots of rain seem like the ideal place to get away from climate change; even in the worst case scenario, the SE seems like it could warm up and dry out a lot and still be both comfortable and fertile.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
The interior during winter would be one tough place to survive. You would spend from spring to fall, growing a garden, humting and fishing to can/store food, when you weren't doing that you would be cutting wood for heat.

The real downside is that you would also have to be very diligent of all the folks trying to steal what you have because they were too lazy to get themselves ready for the winter... You can imagine how they would be starving and stealing to get by. Won't be a pretty picture...

Old 08-04-2011, 06:42 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
The one with the most ammo would win.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
oh crapweasle....you would bring this up!!!..hubby is leaving for the weekend to play with machine guns, high capacity weapons, and all sort of good **** an I can't go this year! damn damn damn....an the guy with the most ammo wins up there!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
....and the biggest dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska